The 'Rocket' Rod Owen Story

and the question would have to be asked, what sort of investigation would you be getting.

I remember a few years back the cop that was in charge of the milne rape case coming out and claiming higher ups with st kilda connections/affiliations and the like pressuring him to find in favour of milne, and rail roading him and the investigation.

For a pissant excuse for a club, they sure do seem to have alot of people in high places outside of football that seemingly now for 40 plus years have covered up a hell of alot of dodgy ■■■■.

1 Like

First thing St Kilda should do is rescind the life membership for the scumbag who they let near children.

5 Likes

I suspect they would only do that when, or if, he was charged and the charges proven.

The life member is dead.

The rock spider has allready been charged, convicted and jailed

2 Likes

Good on both counts then. Scum.

I recall a similar set of stories being unearthed in Britain not long ago relating to poor kids in academies being preyed on by junior coaches. It was national headlines and huge investigations.

It’s actually quite disgusting the afl haven’t come out condemning what happened

Larry Nassar, trusted doctor to US gymnast girls

3 Likes

I only read this article yesterday, disturbing to say the very, very least.

The final stanza where it details the certificate he keeps in his briefcase from his little league games: Signed by the two ■■■■■ who abused him… gut wrenching.

3 Likes

That stood out.

1 Like

It was a bloody good piece of writing. A fitting vehicle for the honesty displayed by most of those interviewed.

I didn’t think my opinion of St Kilda could drop lower, but you live and learn.

4 Likes

I guess there’s a fine line somewhere about not wanting to excuse Owen for his own behaviour, but among all the sadness of this article, my over riding feeling is admiration for Owen- he found a way to survive, tell his story and even move toward a different life. I doubt I could have done half of that.

2 Likes

Russell Jackson, who also wrote up the Robbie Muir story.
Not only a fine writer, but seemingly a journalist who is able to guarantee trust to his subjects.

5 Likes

If only all journalists looked to this fellow as the benchmark.

7 Likes

The amount of child abuse going on in the 70s-80s is frightening, and I am sure it is not extinct. Anyone read the Andrew Rule Sydney Luna Park fire story in the Herald Sun on Easter Sunday? Setting aside a fairly harsh roping in of Turnbull, and going off my memory, it concludes in part:

1. 7 deaths including 6 kids burnt alive was to allow the site to be used for developers
  2. The barrister who was meant to interrogate the shoddy police investigation was kept quiet because of being blackmailed over his filmed affairs with boys
  3. The solicitor who threatened the barrister felt untouchable because had provided underage girls for sexual services to a High Court judge.

It was just layer upon layer of filth. Like with Rod Owen, I had expected a more serious response.

5 Likes

I didn’t read it but saw the 3 part ABC show a couple of weeks ago.

Disgraceful and immoral, hopefully they will have an inquiry, especially for the families of those poor kids/people.

2 Likes

It is. I remember a teacher at a new school l attended in year 8 paid me attention in a detention class l was put in, in my first week. He was telling me how he was friends with an ex-Essendon player, did l want to meet him etc etc, he seemed a bit put off when l told him l had two older brothers who were both a pretty rough. He was charged a few years later for abuse of a student, and there were a lot of rumours of others he had spent time with outside school.
Dodged a bullet there l thought, although l was a pretty street wise kid and would like to think l would have told him to.■■■■ off if he tried anything. But it’s horrifying to think of how much of this rubbish is going on, and how many kids don’t have the strength to fight it off.

3 Likes

It definitely is not… when I was in year 11 in 2013 a teacher got caught grooming girls online. Even without organisations like the church to cover for them, these ■■■■■ are still out there.

1 Like

Yeah a guy I kinda knew (music teacher & jazz musician) got turned over for rooting teenagers. Maybe 3-4 years ago.

Yep, my boys go to the school in Brisbane where that teacher necked himself for secretly filming girls in the change room. You could only imagine it was likely the tip of the iceberg of his behaviour or if not was likely to escalate at some point.

Scary thing is if you asked any of the kids at school who their favourite teacher was, most would say Mr Robbo…the paedo

Instead they write breaking stories about Dan Butler’s mullet and Buddy taking the bins out.

2 Likes