The Shape of the List

Zaka and Myers need to take the next step and become consistent A grade mids just like Jobe and Stants have been for years.

I'm sorry what?
Watson yes, Stanton definately not.
Stanton has never been "consistently" good and probably had his most "consistent" run for a stretch of about eight games in 2012 when Jobe was out injured.
Stanton has never been deemed an A-grader and never will be unless he improves a heck of a lot.
A mid who racks up high 20's/low 30's and occasionally a goal is an A grade mid. Yes, he slows down late in seasons often, but he still has an impact in games. Jobe is an elite mid, not A grade so my mistake. There's a diff between A grade and elite in my book.

Zaka and Myers need to take the next step and become consistent A grade mids just like Jobe and Stants have been for years.

I'm sorry what?
Stanton has never been "consistently" good and probably had his most "consistent" run for a stretch of about eight games in 2012 when Jobe was out injured.
Stanton has never been deemed an A-grader and never will be unless he improves a heck of a lot.

This again?

Thanks Humble for a well written summation.

One thing I would like to elaborate on is the question of depth.  Sure we have a great midfield.  As long as the older players are managed and have the opportunity to use the incredible skills they have we could see some great footy from them.

But its the last few places just outside  the best 22 where we have been exposed for depth to our great detriment.  Against North,  we were forced to pick Stein,  a VFL player and put him on Brown. Thats because Jake and Fletch were out.    I have no doubt Fletch would have matched up better on Brown and probably saved 2 of his goals.

I believe we have more depth now as well as an extra elite midfielder.   Dont forget, Tayte Pears may even get fit !  (All he has to do is remember how to play football like he did around 2010).  So we have more depth.   I also believe the VFL side will do a lot better this year.

if we had to play that final again and fletcher and Carlisle were out, we have a lot more flexibility with McKernan and Gwilt on the list.

McKernan has more heigh, and Gwilt can play creative role. allowing hurley to be stopper, or even swing hurley forward and play Gwilt and mckernan

I'm sorry what?

This again?

Its funny seeing how a small comment on a 200 gamer for our club can elicit such a response.
Youd think he squibbed every contest he'd ever been in..

Myers, Zaka and Stanton are 2 too many one way running midfielders so one has to go.

What's bad is Myers and Stanton are REALLY slow off the mark and do not chase their opponents.

What's really really bad is Zaka is really fast off the mark yet you never see him chase and drag down a player with his speed.

When you add a not so fast Jobe, Goddard and Hocking (then Cooney) tou have a slow as ■■■■ midfield that if they do not get the ball, their midfield opponents will run forward and ruin our backline.
It's been this way for years, yet the coaches keep giving the same one way running midfielders games, makes no sense.

I'm sorry what?

This again?

Its funny seeing how a small comment on a 200 gamer for our club can elicit such a response.
Youd think he squibbed every contest he'd ever been in..

Even though he has a big tank,  its time for the younger players to do the running around and these guys like Stants to be managed more .

If we have older mids,  then the rotations off the bench need to be concentrated on them,  and keep the younger guys out on the park longer.

Myers, Zaka and Stanton are 2 too many one way running midfielders so one has to go.

What's bad is Myers and Stanton are REALLY slow off the mark and do not chase their opponents.

What's really really bad is Zaka is really fast off the mark yet you never see him chase and drag down a player with his speed.

When you add a not so fast Jobe, Goddard and Hocking (then Cooney) tou have a slow as fark midfield that if they do not get the ball, their midfield opponents will run forward and ruin our backline.
It's been this way for years, yet the coaches keep giving the same one way running midfielders games, makes no sense.

Yup, no idea why we've kept all our two-way running, highly skilled, fast, goal kicking, big bodied midfielders playing VFL for so many years. I mean they must be there, right? It couldn't be that they don't exist.

I have a lot to say to this, but it will have to wait until I get some time and a keyboard.

In the meantime the shape of our list looks decent without being perfect.

We could do with a couple more talls around 20 or so, and a spare ruck on the main list. And perhaps our are balance could be slightly different.

But all up we’re ok. We have a good depth of mids. And we have amongst the best first choice talls in the competition.

The key to how far we go is the continued development of the younger and more athletic runners on the list. They step up and we’ll he right amongst it. If we think they’re ready then the shape of the list is good assuming no injuries to the key talls.

When you add a not so fast Jobe, Goddard and Hocking (then Cooney) tou have a slow as fark midfield that if they do not get the ball, their midfield opponents will run forward and ruin our backline.

Yup, no idea why we've kept all our two-way running, highly skilled, fast, goal kicking, big bodied midfielders playing VFL for so many years. I mean they must be there, right? It couldn't be that they don't exist.

I'd take Ricky Dyson over 2 Stantons.
Dyson showed more grit in his 5 games a season than Stanton did in a whole one.
Abysmal that Stanton was given free reign to kick balls into opponents weekly, run behind players in the backline calling for the ball then duff the kick and give 0 accountability while Dyson was overlooked and then delisted. The careers of those two players should be swapped and I have no idea why one was given all the games and the other none when 1 clearly had 10x more heart than the other ever did or would.

Abysmal that Stanton was given free reign to kick balls into opponents weekly, run behind players in the backline calling for the ball then duff the kick and give 0 accountability while Dyson was overlooked and then delisted. The careers of those two players should be swapped and I have no idea why one was given all the games and the other none when 1 clearly had 10x more heart than the other ever did or would.

Hi Ricky, hows post AFL life treating you?
What a fkg weird comparison to make....
Same lonergan maybe, he ended up getting more tackles than possessions, but Dyson? the fark?

Same lonergan maybe, he ended up getting more tackles than possessions, but Dyson? the fark?

I'm allowed to say that Dyson was a better player than Stanton

It's called an opinion, look it up.

sure you are its a forum, whats your point?
i just think your opinion is fkg weird

Nash was robbed of being the best player ever.

The shape of the list is a problem. It's thighs are overdeveloped and its biceps are huge. Gerard Healy is suspicious of its shape and has been hearing rumours of HGH use, he's contacted the AFL because he doesn't believe a list could change this much over one season.

Nash was robbed of being the best player ever.

Nash? Pfft, small time. Andrew Lee could have been the next Lloyd if we had just persisted an extra year or five!

Fwiw I liked Dyson and thought he was a player we should have used more, injury permitting. He didn't waste the ball like so many others, and had a the ability to deliver a very good pass which was beyond the capacity of so many others that were given games ahead of him.
I don't think we got value from him because I don't think we used him enough.

I mentioned in my last training report that one of the recruiters said that he was very pleased with the "shape" of the list now that the list has been finalized.

I took this to mean the demographics of the list and the balance between talls and medium and small players.

He further went on to emphasize that if Watson, Chapman, Goddard and Cooney could recapture some of their form of a few years ago we would be very hard to beat.

Do you agree?

Backline is in really good nick

Rucks are ok assuming no injuries and that Belly gets back to form

Midfield is really deep and strong but there's something of a question mark on pace, Cooney might help out there

Forward line is still a work in progress

Happy with the list overall though

People can only talk in extreme examples when it comes to Stanton. Truly a player who elicits strange emotional reactions from either end of the spectrum. Dyson comparison is an obvious baiting attempt (yep it worked).

People can only talk in extreme examples when it comes to Stanton. Truly a player who elicits strange emotional reactions from either end of the spectrum. Dyson comparison is an obvious baiting attempt (yep it worked).

I guess ideally if you had someone like stants who isn't overly fast, or skilled by has/had immense endurance you want them to be a clearance machine or extremely strong on the ball, but stants doesn't offer that much. I mean the most wasteful clearance player of last year won the brownlow. A bit more toe, or an amazing kick would've put this argument to bed years ago but he's good at the stuff without excelling.

I reckon Heppell attracting the tag is going to unleash Watson big time next season, He will be number 1 in the comp for clearances if he escapes the tag more often than not, The flow on from this will unleash Zaharakis and Colyer on the outside with pace.