The slow death of Melbourne’s inner-city pubs

On a Thursday you could make your way from North Melbourne up queensbury, down to the grainstore, over to sugar shack and drink 50c Beers and Buck spirits.

From memory Goo was on that night as well.

Won the pool comp as SugarShack a few nights. 50 buck millionaires.

2 Likes

One thing I DON’T miss is getting to a pub and having to neck the first couple at light speed because the indoor smoking bans hadn’t come into effect yet, and killing your sense of smell fast was the only way to get through a night without choking on the stink.

2 Likes

You mean Public Bar Monday…

1 Like

The Clyde is still going strong. I didn’t know Lion Nathan had had their fingers in that pie — but it’s family-owned these days. Ged Kearney’s family. Strong Labor pub. I often visit Melbourne on the weekend, and spend Sunday arvo in the Clyde.

2 Likes

$1 pots in a happy hour config was absolute killer. One night 9:55 at a pub I choose not to name I took a $50 note to the bar and ordered 50 pots. “can you carry them?” Yeah sure. There were 4 or 5 of us in the shout, pass one on, drink one. An hour later my mate headbutted me in the queue to a nightclub that I choose not to name.

3 Likes

The last time I went to Naughtons was to watch the 2000 GF. Mates had been watching the GF there from the mid 80s and I watched the game from there through the 90s, except in 92 when I was o/s in 93 when at the game. The Tooheys taps went in there during the week before the 2000 GF much to our surprise and annoyance. Then they cut our group off after someone knocked over a glass. We left, and I’ve never been back.

We watched the next six or seven GFs at the Rec on Queens Parade (now a restaurant I think), then the Royal in Clifton Hill (now shut, along with the Normandy from the same burb).

1 Like

It is so clear. You need to watch this year’s Granny at Naughtons

3 Likes

Funny, I was thinking exactly that as I was typing that post!

1 Like

Pretty sure naughtons was a Fark Carlton drinking hole due to proximity of Fark Carlton park.

(Drunkenly shouts in Fark Carlton)

1 Like

Yep that footage was at Naugtos

1 Like

Lion Nathan bought Clyde in late 2000 and renovated the back bar and beer garden. The pub reopened just in time for the new Uni year in 2001 under control of Lion Nathan. My employment started at the same time. We did have a false start with the new concrete floor way too slippery on opening night. The renos removed the pool tables down the back and the big mirror which made the back bar feel a couple of hundred metres long when empty. The back wall become a giant projector wall which was great for sport. Often when I did day shifts and played music videos on the big screen when no one was around.

The investment Lion Nathan made in the pubs around the uni was aimed at getting younger drinkers hooked on their products. The issue was most beer drinkers had a beer of choice before they were legally able to drink in venues. Therefore it wasn’t a winning strategy. Carlton United fought back by acquiring a license to serve beer in the Union House at Melbourne Uni at what became known as the U Bar. It was a great day time drinking venue - not so good at night.

The acquisition of the pubs also coincided with Lion Nathan sponsoring the Melbourne Cup as the Tooheys New Melbourne Cup. Makybe Diva’s first win in 2003 was the last of their 3 Cups they sponsored. Shortly after, in early 2004, Lion Nathan conceded defeat and exited their Melbourne pubs.

2 Likes

they did 50c pots and they were an absolute disgrace (Ballarat Bitter IIRC)

$7 to get in, $7 more to forget the night

I miss it

2 Likes

Lived begind the Yarra for years , great pub, a bit quiet, took a hit during covid too unfortunately, dont think its reopened

2 Likes

I would have paid real money for a set of those huge heavy wooden table/chairs they had at the Clyde pre-reno. If i actually had real money at the time, mind you.

3 Likes

Fair bit of nostalgia with all the names carved into them.

2 Likes

Was it the Yarra that Mick Thomas from Weddoes took over at some point?

1 Like

Yeah that was a few years back now, too many cooks in the kitchen with the bunch that own the yarra imo, could be a great pub again with some better decisions

1 Like

Have you ever heard GED talk about growing up in pubs around Melbourne. Fantastic stories, think she had 7 or 8 brothers and sisters. They all had jobs in the pub but we not paid, so they formed a Union and took a log of claims to their Mum and Dad. The story is hilarious and did not end that well for the Kearney Family Union.

3 Likes

I saw Goldfingers burnt down, ole Kilkenny Inn was also a regular of mine in my youth, it was a Saturday night venue for. Its the only place I have ever been dragged out of by a bouncer. Was given some little love taps in the mid drift on the way down the stairs, thrown on the footpath and told not to come back tonight. Was back next Saturday and all good

7 Likes

I got barred from a pub in Essendon for being a very bad boy one Saturday when I was 19.

About 20 years later, I was having lunch there with my Dad for his 70th Birthday and the Owner came storming up to our table screaming that I was barred and threw me out again. I wish I could remember what I did.

7 Likes