The Team (Final) vs Melbourne

I normally don’t pay attention to where players are named but it would be interesting to see Zaharakis play forward.
It’s time to try some others in the midfield and with our lack of forwards is as good a time as any for Zaka to return to where he started.
2011 Zaharakis playing half forward with the odd stint in midfield would be a preference over a guy like green i reckon

5 Likes

Baguley won’t be up forward. As cooked as I think bags is, running multiple small defenders isn’t crazy in today’s game. It also means McGrath will be in the ball, which I like A LOT

3 Likes

You’re expecting 2nd year kids to carry a 3 win side, where half the blokes met each other in March?

That’s a very silly criticism.

Bingo, McNeice will play back pocket so we can release the pidgeons

1 Like

i present to you the case of one David Myers.

I also present you the case of Jackson Merrett

3 Likes

No, not at all, but I would have expected him to learn and grow as a player, so far that hasn’t happened, he simply is not improving enough to justify this board making him the new messiah.

So are you saying that he is the same as them? If so, then I agree with you.

nobody is saying he is the new messiah. People just want the kid to be given a proper go at it. He hasn’t had that chance, even though his performances in the VFL have more than warranted it imo

5 Likes

Is his form in the 2s deserving of a game? Is that the reason people have got the ■■■■■?

I disagree, I think he has been given plenty of chances and he isn’t taking them. He has less emotion than Woosha.

1 Like

Baguley and Jerret remain…

4 Likes

Can’t agree with that

He got the first 2 rounds this year.

A couple of games last year.

that’s not a proper chance at it.

Would you rather have Myers or Langford in our team each week?

Lav, Clarke, Mutch, Begley, McNeice etc, freak I would even take and half game Francis before I would give Langers a go.

3 Likes

Fair enough. So you would rather play those guys then Myers aswell?

In a heart beat I would.

I said when they re-signed Myers that it was (and should have been) purely as a backup for injuries or severely out of form players. Not as a main in the best 22.

1 Like

fair enough. Is there something about Langford you don’t particularly rate, or is it more he just hasn’t shown enough so far to warrant a place.

FFS This team selection.

1 Like

Rubbish. He was most certainly not playing on-ball in VFL or AFL in 2016. He is now. Development. He’s playing as a mid now, our best last week, our best a few times in the run home last year. Development.

His best most influential game for the club was rd 1 this year. Development.
What he can do now and what he could do then are poles apart. Peevish to suggest otherwise.

Needs to develop consistency, needs a bit more physicality. That can come.
All too easy to focus on what (particularly inexperienced) player doesn’t do. That cost us Houli and Richards. Sometimes you also need to back people on what they can do.

4 Likes

From what I have seen of him he just doesn’t offer enough. He will do the occasionally good thing but it is very limited. He doesn’t go in hard enough, it’s overly passionate (yeah yeah laconic, blah blah) and just doesn’t seem to be improving at all. I know people think I am being harsh but I have seen far more from other young players than i have from him. I just see him as a guy who fills a list, plays well occasionally but never really cements a spot in the best 22.

You were comparing Zac Merrett and Langford I. 2016. Obviously they were in very different positions to take advantage of the opportunities available that year. Even lat year Langford was younger than Merrett in 2016, and that’s forgetting about being recruited with a body far further from the finished product, which was obviously going to take significantly longer to develop for the role we were going he’d play.

Obviously he’s struggled with the pace at senior level.

So far

But he has gone back to the 2s and been in the best both weeks. He’s clearly right on the fringe of the team.

It’s surprising he didn’t get a ruin this week, given the changes.

He’s still growing as a footballer. At some point there’s a fair chance that he’ll be ready to grab the opportunity with both hands. I think we how it’s now. But the team management thinks it’s not yet. The question is whether he needs more games in the firsts to make that next step, or more games as the #1 guy in the 2s.

But for this week I am very surprised that he’s bit getting a further taste of the seniors.