The team versus the Saints - 2020 round 12

It’s been outsourced.

WE’RE GONNA

HAVE LOW EXPECTATIONS

2 Likes

Proper VFL lineup

A couple blokes in playing for their careers, along with Clarke, the effort should be there today, lets hope the skills and application is there as well.

Hopefully that’s what St Kilda think too!

2 Likes

im happy we’re playing the kids and finding out about the list. I don’t expect much out of our inclusions, but happy they are getting a go. I’d honestly probably play mutch and begley for a month then make the call. WTF was begley named in the forward pocket though, has he not been playing as a inside mid? if he just sits in the forward line all day it’ll be a hilarious blunder because he MUST be looked at as a inside mid at senior level. please, please do not play him as a forward pocket. I suspect we will though

I’m certainly annoyed we are still giving cutler a game and even more annoyed we haven’t looked at mozzie yet. WTF do the coaches see in cutler? hopefully he proves us wrong but I won’t hold my breath

I think we’ll get done today. not interested in the result, just want to see half decent ball movement, draper sit on someone’s head and Stewart continue to improve

1 Like

BBB last chance for mine. I would have delisted him already actually. Ham should be in the side. Have always like mutch, although he is very slow.

Nah fark it, end of the weekend, finish it off on a good note

FARKN SMASH EM

1 Like

I don’t know why Cutler wasn’t dropped, but this game is make or break. A repeat of last week and he should be delisted at seasons end.

The ultimate preview: Rd 12

A comprehensive look at the Bombers’ clash with the Saints on Sunday.

1 day

James Stewart booted three goals in a return to form on Wednesday night. (Photo: AFL Photos)

Take a look at our comprehensive preview of Essendon’s clash with St Kilda on Sunday.

ST KILDA v ESSENDON

Sunday, August 16
3:35pm AEST
Gabba
Live on Channel 7

THE HISTORY

Games played - 252
Won – 142
Lost – 69
Drawn - 4

FOUR FACTS

1. Walla’s lightning-quick century

Had he missed no more than two games of the original 2020 fixture, Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti would have eclipsed the late Jack Jones to become the fastest player to reach 100 games in Essendon’s history. He’ll now have to settle for 10th spot due to the shutdown period, but is currently the club’s consecutive AFL games record holder on 88. The livewire forward has remarkably missed just one game since joining from Essendon’s VFL side before the 2016 season, and will join his idol and fellow Tiwi trailblazer Dean Rioli on the No.43 locker when he chalks up the century on Sunday.

2. Most inexperienced side of the season

The Bombers have lost 301 games of experience across their changes this weekend, and will field their most inexperienced side of the season with an average of 66 games. Their previous lowest was 76 against the Crows in round eight. Inclusions Kobe Mutch, Sam Draper and Josh Begley are among nine Bombers under 50 games, with 100-plus gamers David Zaharakis, Cale Hooker, Dyson Heppell, Devon Smith, Jake Stringer and Joe Daniher all sidelined.

3. The Saints’ barometer

If the Saints win the contested possession count, it almost certainly means they’ll take the four points as well. Prior to Monday’s loss against Geelong, they’d won every game in which they’d bettered the opposition for contested ball. Jack Steele has set the pace, leading the Saints for contested possessions with an average of 10 per game. The Bombers are ranked 14th for contested possessions per game, but have won the count in three of their past four games.

4. High-scoring Saints

The Saints enter round 12 ranked second for goals per game, while the Bombers are 11th. They ranked second for goal accuracy during their four-game winning streak between rounds seven and 10, largely due to kicking long inside 50 and setting up their shots from close range. The Bombers will no doubt look closely at what the Cats did on Monday night to keep the Saints goalless in the second half.

LAST TIME WE MET

Round two, 2019: Essendon 9.11 (65) lost to St Kilda 10.16 (76) at Marvel Stadium

After a heavy opening-round defeat to the Giants, the Bombers set out to make amends against the Saints in their first home game of the season.

Their quest didn’t start on the right note, taking until the second term to register their first major and trailing by 22 points at half-time.

A second-half fightback restored some respect, seeing the Bombers finish on top in disposals, contested possessions, marks and inside 50s.

But they were ultimately left to rue a lacklustre start in the 11-point loss.

Jake Stringer (16 disposals, two marks, one goal) was dangerous, while Orazio Fantasia had his chances (no goals, four behinds) but couldn’t capitalise on a frustrating afternoon for the Essendon faithful.

FORM

St Kilda
Round nine: Defeated Sydney 15.11 (101) to 6.12 (48) at the Gabba
Round 10: Defeated Gold Coast 12.6 (78) to 11.8 (74) at Metricon Stadium
Round 11: Lost to Geelong 4.10 (34) to 14.9 (93) at the Gabba

One of the competition’s biggest improvers, the Saints have won six of their past eight games to solidify their position in the top eight.

That run included a stunning upset against the top-of-the-table Port Adelaide in round eight, becoming the only side to defeat the Power on their home turf this season.

The Saints’ bubble was burst against the Cats on Monday, however, fielding the most inexperienced side of the round with 11 players under 50 games.

Despite entering the clash as the highest scoring team in the League, the Saints couldn’t crack the Cats’ miserly defence in a goalless second half.

The Saints struggled to get their game going against a miserly Geelong. (Photo: AFL Photos)

Essendon
Round nine: Lost to Brisbane 3.10 (28) to 14.7 (91) at Metricon Stadium
Round 10: Lost to GWS 8.7 (55) to 8.11 (59) at Metricon Stadium
Round 11: Drew with Gold Coast 11.7 (73) to 11.7 (73) at Metricon Stadium

Despite a spirited second-half comeback, the Bombers had to settle for a share of the points with the Suns in their first draw since round 23, 2014 against Carlton.

The draw extended their winless streak to three games, but saw them rise to ninth and remain one win out of the top eight with a game in hand.

Veteran David Zaharakis, who booted two final-quarter goals before suffering a season-ending quad injury , was the latest casualty added to a lengthy injury list .

It means the Bombers will again turn to youth as they navigate their third game in 10 days before welcoming back some top-liners in the run home.

TEAMS

ST KILDA

Backs: Nick Coffield, Callum Wilkie, Ben Paton
Half-backs: Ben Long, Jarryn Geary, Dougal Howard
Centre : Jack Billings, Zak Jones, Bradley Hill
Half-forwards: Nicholas Hind, Jack Lonie, Dan Butler
Forwards: Tim Membrey, Max King, Rowan Marshall
Followers: Paddy Ryder, Jack Steele, Jack Bytel
Interchange: Hunter Clark, Jack Sinclair, Josh Battle, Sebastian Ross
Emergencies: Ed Phillips, Daniel McKenzie, Shane Savage, Dylan Roberton

In: Jones, Lonie, Ryder, Ross

Out: Carlisle (managed), Gresham (injured), Kent (managed), Phillips (omitted)

ESSENDON

Backs: Adam Saad, Michael Hurley, Brandon Zerk-Thatcher
Half-backs: Jordan Ridley, Martin Gleeson, Matt Guelfi
Centre : Tom Cutler, Andrew McGrath, Darcy Parish
Half-forwards: Conor McKenna, James Stewart, Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti
Forwards: Josh Begley, Shaun McKernan, Will Snelling
Followers: Sam Draper, Dylan Shiel, Zach Merrett
Interchange: Kyle Langford, Jacob Townsend, Kobe Mutch, Dylan Clarke
Emergencies: Tom Bellchambers, Mitch Hibberd, Mason Redman, Brayden Ham

In: Hurley, Townsend, Draper, Mutch, Begley

Out: Smith (managed), Bellchambers (managed), Francis (managed), Redman (managed), Zaharakis (quad)

Milestone: Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti - 100 AFL games

BOMBER TO WATCH

James Stewart

James Stewart was a man on a mission in his third game back from a lengthy injury layoff on Wednesday night.

Kicking his first goal in 809 days, the big man went on to add another two and finish with 10 disposals and five marks in an energetic and confidence-boosting display.

With fellow key forward Shaun McKernan assisting third-gamer Sam Draper in the ruck, Stewart will again be a key focal point inside 50 against the Saints.

DANGEROUS OPPONENT

Dan Butler

Dan Butler was the Saints’ lowest-profile signing during their off-season raid, but has proven to be their shrewdest.

Joining St Kilda in exchange for pick No.56, the former Tiger has booted 21 goals to sit third in the Coleman Medal ahead of round 12.

Ten of those goals have come from within 20m, showing his knack of popping up in the right place at the right time.

With the Saints’ tendency to pump the ball deep inside 50 and rely on their dangerous crumbers to do the rest, Butler must be closely guarded.

This would have to be the weakest team we have put on the park since 2016.
Much more a case of hope than expectation.

1 Like

I think Cutler is in because he’s played AFL games. I agree he’s done nothing, but if we dropped him as well we’re then picking Cahill, Ham or blokes to debut, like the Irishmen. On the top of the other ins that would be real 2016 areas.

Can’t wait for guelfi to go on Butler and get a bag kicked on him!

I expect STK to be too quick for us…

…and when the opposition is quick, that’s when we suffer our biggest losses IMO…

…so could be 40+.

Our supporters have gone from, ''pick someone who has good form in the 2’s", to find a player on the list who hasn’t played yet and make a case for why they should play.

9 Likes

Average games is 66 for the fielded 22?!?! That is insane, going to have to have a relentless spirit amongst the group to have a chance lol

Wouldn’t be seen too often

That said it’s not kids. All mature bodies and been in system enough years.

Everyone commits to the cause and we can still win it.

3 Likes

Huge delays on the Bruce Highway- Saints coming down from Noosa. We might win by forfeit!

3 Likes

How many coast to coast goals will saints kick? play with a fwd half press you dumb idiots