The Tennis Thread - from Jan 2020 (Part 2)

Azarenka is a 33 year old dual national multi millionaire who lives in Florida and a voice of Nike Inc. I think she’s a big girl who can answer political questions.

Rybaninka is just starting to make her mark, with very limited English and coming from a background where(as per the commentary last night) only could afford group tennis lessons up to 6 years ago.

Its absolutely remarkable she’s winning and making grand slam finals.

As a person of very working class roots with very limited means I think she can catch a break from reporters.

Perhaps a question might be reasonable for her if posed in Russian and Im sure she would answer she’s just grateful she can play.

1 Like

Her English is of a high standard. For instance, when Jelena referred to her serve pace being better than many men, she said it must be the genetics ( her father was an ice hockey star).
I think like many others, Ry also lives in Florida.

come on its chalk and cheese comparing Rybakina and Azarenka. your not having a lend are you?

Azarenka has millions from endorsements. Rybakina hasn’t. she’s got some clothing and racquet deals but nothing compared to Azarenka.

It will come obviously because Rybakina is very good. And yeah if she was at the stage of her career that Azarenka is at Id agree she would be asked more questions than her tennis.

You do know Rybakina was playing for the Kazaks before the whole Ukraine/Russia war started don’t you? She did it so she could afford to keep playing tennis.

1 Like

Of course I did, having posted that she switched nationality at 19yo!
Why was Azarenka singled out, when there are other Belarus and Russians not subject to that treatment?
Women’s final will be between Minsk and Moscow born .

Here are some extracts from an article on grunting written in 2009.

Earlier this year a young Portugese tennis player Michelle Larcher de Brito was jeered off the court at the French Open after winning her first round match due to her extremely loud grunting when hitting the ball. Her opponent was so angry at Larcher de Brito who ‘wailed like a banshee’, she complained to the umpire, who during the change of ends asked Larcher de Brito to reduce the noise level. However the rules of tennis only allow a penalty point to be awarded when players deliberately distract their opponents, and with grunting it’s difficult to prove intent.

Larcher de Brito’s reaction to the controversy is interesting.

"Definitely if the matches are going to be tougher obviously I’m going to start grunting. I’m just here for myself. I’m not here really to be quiet for anybody.”

"I’m here to win. That’s it. If people don’t like my grunting they can always leave.”

"Nobody can tell me to stop grunting. Tennis is an individual sport and I’m an individual player.”

Tennis greats Martina Navratilova and John Newcombe recently stated that grunting is cheating. It both distracts opponents and disguises the sound of the ball hitting the racquet, making it more difficult for an opponent to judge the power, spin and depth of the approaching shot. Similar tactics to disguise spin have been removed from table tennis by requiring players to use bats with different coloured rubber on each side, and disallowing players from shielding the serve from their opponent by using their body or arm.

The International Tennis Federation is considering a new noise hindrance rule.

Doesn’t appear they got far with the anti-grunting rule.

they have been asked. Ryabinka was asked at Wimbledon.

It’s a big deal Azarenka is back playing the Oz. She’s a two time former champ. What media asked her? its world media reporting on the Aus Open or creating stories from the people asking the questions at the pressers

I know Medvedev has been hassled about it.

There weren’t any Russian or Belarus players to be questioned at Wimbledon.
There have been several at the AO, why Azarenka?

well for starters as one of the highest profile Belarusian tennis players, her condemning it carries a little weight for the audience back home.

Did she really say that?
I follow the sport more closely than the AFL and I can’t say I know who he is so now you’ve piqued my interest and I’m keen to find out more about him as it’s a pretty good story

Not to overlook the vulnerability of family members in the country concerned.

She didn’t refer to her late father as an ice hockey star. It’s in her CV.

LOL trust bigallan to turn the tennis thread into a politics thread.

She was ■■■■■■ at being asked questions about Djokovic’s father, because she correctly identified that a) its got nothing to do with her, and b) whatever she did say would just be used to suit the anti Djokovic media agenda.

I am glad that she called out our pathetic tabloid journalists and refused to buy into their bullshit.

2 Likes

And thats where her words are probably measured. She can wish for peace. No-one is asking(afaik) to take a side against the country she represents. (even though at the tournament thats listed as blank)

Well there you have it

Azarenka was simply the first Belarusian or Russian to face the press post Novaks old man having his song and dance with the Russian flag

can we get back to the issue that matters? such as women tennis players impersonating blow off valves.

1 Like

Karen K was having a good old grunt the other day. its not just the ladies.

my new fav dare I mention it, Elena Rybakina manages to blast 188km serves without as much as a whimper.

absolute unit.

1 Like

As to turning the tennis thread into the politics thread, it’s been there before the AO started, including the Joker return , which nationals could participate and how, flags in the arena etc.
The latest is questioning Azarenka by accredited sports journalists, who acknowledged they weren’t there as political reporters. To which Aza said she was appearing as an athlete, ready to talk as an athlete.

The Brazilian pairing, Stefani and Matos win the mixed doubles. The first set was a close run thing with a tiebreak, but they dominated in the second set. I watched a bit of a few of their matches, they were great together.

1 Like

Athletes are all too willing to talk politics when on their terms.

(Many)

Did they get questioned about the Brazilian parliament riots? :face_holding_back_tears: