The Tennis thread

I like the idea that he travels the world by boat.

3 Likes

This is the crucial point. She could have pulled herself up then and there and gotten on with it. She is a victim of her not being able to keep her emotions in check. Yes she was under the extreme pressure of being down in a final, Court’s record and all that, but that’s the sport. She lost it, she paid for it.

Mate, she was rattled by an unnecessary call that didn’t need to be made.

and she handled it like the champ she is, right?

come off it diggers

Wouldn’t happen to N Kirgios because he doesn’t have a coach.

Maybe he’s found a maggot hack?

His brother, dad and whoever else are in his box can say and gesture all they like without sanction.

Be on the payroll and according to maggot Ramos, any comments or hand movement will be judged as coaching.

But only at a time and place of his choosing.

Now you are just being petulant.

Game set and match.

1 Like

She didn’t handle it well. But she’s probably a little on edge because for some reason, if it’s unusual or obscure, S Williams will be find herself on the wrong end of a decision at this event more than any other.

Nick Kyrgios doesn’t have a coach.

Yes, and if Kyrgios ended up being docked a game for smashing racquets and calling the chair umpire a cheat?

I love how you’re focused on the coaching issue (despite the fact that it was clearly coaching) rather than the fact that she accused the chair umpire of cheating. That’s serious misconduct in my view, and if Nick had done it there would be a public outcry and zero sympathy.

I’m not a huge fan of the schadenfreude going on in here, makes me wonder, but Ramos is Dutch, Portuguese born. That’s neutral from the outside. And as has been pointed out there have been some recent cases of this same coaching decision being made.

Maggot Ramos chose to impose a violation for something that happens routinely, most likely by Osaka’s team as well which contributed to him stripping Williams of a game at a critical point in the match. Umpires get called a lot worse than what Williams called Ramos but he chose to enforce a violation and then compounded things by penalising her for getting upset with his first questionable penalty.

She’s on solid ground for giving that maggot heaps.

It’s the arbitrary decision of this maggot to impose a violation on S Williams at that moment which is so galling.

Ask Osaka’s team if they were coaching? Keep an eye on Ivan Ljubicic when Roger Federer is playing or Tony Nadal when Rafa is on court. Never called.

No doubt every player in every match receives coaching.

A good example of what happened here is that ■■■■■■■ ridiculous 50m penalty Goddard copped for holding a player after they’d disposed of the ball.

Happens 100 times every game and is never called. Imagine if it got paid in a grand final out of nowhere.

Odd decision that didnt need to be made. Now Serena holding her tongue is another matter for the third violation but emotions run high. It’s a final.

1 Like

The funny thing re the discussion of - what would happen if kygrios received coaching? - is that kygrios continually yells at his box for not providing good coaching!
Don’t tell me to get my 1st serve in. i already know that. Give me something else!!!

My guess as to the timing of the penalty is that Serena has been cheating for years by playing outside the spirit of tennis by shrieking during matches in a deliberate attempt to unsettle and intimidate her opponent. Kerber was brilliant in a previous GS final ignoring Serena’s behaviour during the match.

It’s because she can’t handle losing. With a career so dominant as hers she hasn’t had her backside handed to her very often so she still struggles to process and respond to it.

If she was a set up instead of down when she got the violation we wouldn’t even be discussing this.

1 Like

There’s a difference between general encouragement from the box, and coaching from the box.

Were you watching it? Her coach (dunno his name) very clearly gestured to her to suggest she comes and plays in at the net more often. She hadn’t been doing it much to that point, and the next few points she played in whenever she could. The commentators were suggesting she’ll get pulled up on it right before the violation was given.

Her coach was interviewed right after the game and he openly said, “yes I was coaching her”.

You’re being ridiculous Digs.

She clearly received coaching.

She went berko at the umpire, which is unacceptable. You can’t accuse the umpire of any sporting event of being a cheat, on the field where everyone can hear, and not expect there to be consequences.

I think she’s a phenomenal athlete. Probably in the top 10, of all time, in any sport. But, unlike you, I can recognise that she handles losing poorly, and that the rules and consequences were applied fairly here.

4 Likes

I am in vehement disagreement with you on this.

Yeah but have you got a daughter though? I do.

Therefore my view is superior. (Unless you also have a daughter, in which case, I dunno, daughter-off?)

I also have a daughter, so 2 - 1 wins

1 Like