The Tennis thread

If it’s got any legs and the rest agree, I recon use Tomic as spokesmen.

That’ll work.

1 Like

I don’t think there is any chance of Djokovic catching Federer. Novak’s game is too physical for him to keep playing as long as Federer has. I reckon he’s got about 2 years left at the top. Can’t see him winning 6 in that time.
I doubt very much Federer will win another slam.

That’s a lot of data to process :slight_smile:

Its incredible to think we have 3 champions all going around in the one era and still dominating post 30yo.

Something I would add to the conversation that cant be captured in data and most likely not in history either, is the speed of the surfaces.

Both Federer and even Lleyton have complained throughout their careers that both Wimbledon and the Aus Open surfaces have gradually slowed throughout their respective careers which has allowed back court players like Nadal and Djokovic to compete far easier.

I’m obviously a massive Federer fan and I think he will and should be considerer the GOAT no matter how many Slams they all finish up with. But obviously history will most likely just look at the numbers.

1 Like

Since Hewitt was No1 the changing of balls/ raquets and court surfaces have all ended up in giving more power to the players at the back of the court, plus most of the players have become more professional and fitter, so it is harder to put a winner away.

1 Like

Doesn’t look good for Hewitt?!

If it’s Lleyton Hewitt’s word v Bernard Tomic’s I know who I’m backing…

1 Like

Totally.

You only have to listen to the older guys like McEnroe to see how much court speeds have changed over the years.

It’s a similar thing to whats happened in cricket with all the slow tracks to bring the batsmen into play to create bigger scores.

Federer should be miles out in front.

I’m not taking sides but I would have thought that Timic, Kokk and Kygrios are better tennis players than the other guys that he named.

I do believe there to be a conflict of interest if they are indeed in his management stable.

1 Like

He didn’t name anyone playing Davis Cup though. He named Bolt as wildcard for the Australian open.

If you were picking the singles players in Davis Cup for Australia today it’s no contest. De Minaur and Millman.
The only other bloke you would even remotely consider is Kyrgios, but seeing as he still has a massive heartlidge injury that he doesn’t look like recovering from, I wouldn’t even consider him.

Kokkinakis loos promising but he’s looked promising for 5 years without ever getting any results.
And Tomic himself isn’t really that great a player even when he tries (which isn’t very often).

I’m with @SMJ. Unless someone else comes out against Hewitt I think this is a complete non-story.

How so?

What makes Federer more complete? What’s Djokovic’s weakness? Sensational on both sides, big serve and rated by many commentators as the best return of serve in the game?

Neither player has gotten over Nadal to win their sole French open.

On financial grounds Novak already has Federer and as discussed barring injury will have him on open results.

1 Like

Complete I mean in terms of overall on court ability.

Federer clearly is the better stroke player. But that’s just my opinion.

If those guys are in his management stable I still think it’s a conflict of interest whether they play or not.

To eliminate any issues one or the other has to go in my opinion.

1 Like

Novak is a brand, I can’t like him but respect what he’s achieved. Will always love Fed.

1 Like

I’m not convinced Djokovic will last that long. He plays a hardwearing style of play - I’m not sure he’s got much more than 3 years left in him.

Has Bolt even played Davis cup? He’s the only guy named and they were referring to him getting a wildcard to the Open.

I agree it’s a conflict of interest if it’s actually happening.

2 Likes

Lleyton is my second favourite player behind Fed so I hope Tomic is talking ■■■■.

But if there is a conflict then it needs to be dealt with no matter how minor it appears to be.

I think there has always been a bit of a rift with Tomic and Hewitt.

But Hewitt playing Doubles is probably going to far, he should be giving the guys a chance.
Maybe that might develop their games. Kyrios and Kok are buddies maybe they could be the doubles team

If I was picking the Davis cup side at the moment
1 De Minaur
2 Millman
Doubles Kyrios/Kok

IF Millman loses might swap in Kyrios if he showed some heart in the doubles.

Tomic could be 1st reserve.

Like I know Hewiit can still play - but do that in doubles at the opens. And focus on being the coach of the Davis Cup side.
I dont remember rafter playing when he was the coach.

I think managers may have helped Bolt get into the Aus open.
And I think he may ahve been annoyed that Kokinakas didnt get one.
But the Aus open can hand out wild cards to whoever they want, no point Tomic whinging, just be ranked high enough and you get automatic entry,
I remember Goran Ivanisiv got one to Wimbledon and ended up making the final

I would be handing out wild cards to Asian Countries 1 Aus, Japan, China, Apparently lots of good Japanese tennis players not on the circuit.

3 Likes

Wouldn’t be backing the honesty of either Tomic or Hewitt.
Tomic is just a brain dead fucknuckle, and Hewitt, behind the Woman’s Weekly facade, is a conniving, self centred little ■■■■■■.
The only significant difference between the two is that Hewitt was once a very good tennis player.

5 Likes

Tomics’ sound defamatory. Wait for the solicitors letter Bernie.

I’d love to know how Tomic thinks Hewitt influences the WC selections for the Australian Open.
Just sounds like sour grapes to me.

Kok is in the Aus Open😀. He plays on court 3 today.