The Tennis thread

Yep. Pretty poor effort there from Nick.

1 Like

Nick was seeded #31. Seeds get beaten regularly & both tsitsipas & demon who were seeded higher were also beaten today. I don’t think there’s a story apart from Kyrgios played well a week ago but couldn’t back it up. We need to assess Nick against the reality that he is in the top 40 tennis players, but not treat him like he is top 5 who don’t often lose.

He looked very slow and cumbersome today and had no feel on his racket. And he doesn’t have the mental strength or understanding to pull himself out of a slump during a match. I thought he tried in the 2nd and kept his temper in check.

5 Likes

Surface suited Kolscreiber more as well.

He hits some beautiful backhand shots today that would have passed many.

Would have liked Kyrgios to up his intensity more when things aren’t going his way.

Stir Fried gave a beautiful summary - It’s more common than you think for tournament winners to lose early in the next tournament - It’s even more common in the women’s game.

1 Like

Really?

Top ten players win the bulk of tournaments and generally have no trouble at all backing up.

The fact that Kyrgios is incredibly inconsistent probably has more to do with it.

Nah. Top ten players dont play every week and in most weeks there are two to four tournaments. And many who win tournaments are outside the top. For example, Tsitipas who was runner up to Federer last week in Dubai lost first round at Indian Wells. We all know that Kyrgios is inconsistent.

So you use Tsipitas as an example for a player winning a tournament and then going out first round in the following tournament but he was runners up?

What is being discussed are players winning tournaments and then losing early happens more commonly than expected. You display a limited understanding of elements of tennis.

I understand what we are discussing.

You are just giving no evidence of it!

Follow the results of every tournament and you will see the evidence. It happens for a variety of reasons such as tight travelling schedule in back to back tournaments, player suffering a letdown or jumping in class from a 250 tournament to a 5 00 or 1000 tournament.

Class wasn’t a factor in this occasion because Kyrgios is twice the player.

The surface for me was a bigger factor and also Nick looked like he had no interest.

The only emotion he showed throughout the game was when he smashed his racket.

Very unusual for Nick indeed.

No one went with WHATEVER IT TACOS?

Shame blitz, shame.

2 Likes

Tacos or leave it, we leave it.

1 Like

Have to give Kohlschreiber credit, in amazing form at the moment.

And this was Joker’s first match since winning the Aussie Open. The curse strikes again.

1 Like

Absolutely schooled by a returning Monfils

1 Like

Monfils the giant killer

1 Like

Federer closes out the first set against Thiem in the Indian Wells final

6-3

Thiem wins Indian Wells, beating Federer 7-5 in the third set.

Well deserved win also.

Was very aggressive from the start and won the critical points.