The Trail Hiking thread

Great idea for a thread.

Wife and I did GOW over two Easter weekends (across 2 years) really good time.

Would love to do Larapinta and the overland.

Beeripmo is our family getaway. My daughter did it overnight with a 6kg pack from 9years old. Itā€™s such a convenient option if you live anywhere north or west of the CBD.

My friends live literally just over the road from there.
Spectacular view from their joint. Can see the CBD.

1 Like

Werribee Gorge Loop is the best walk Iā€™ve done, Iā€™ve done further, harder walks but this one is so good and at only 7.5kms is a great walk for anyone.
I would just say avoid doing it on the weekend because it can get busy and if you hit people coming the other way you may need to wait for them in a couple of spots.

1 Like

Werribee Gorge loop with Ironbark Gorge is a really good hike, but I prefer the Lerderderg Gorge to the north of the Marsh and you can walk all the way to Daylesford and see Joey and @jackie_mihocek, and maybe Tiffany !!

3 Likes

Weā€™ve been on a strenuously difficult hike to the milk bar most days.

#Covid

4 Likes

From Daylesford you can get to Malden!!

Mackenzies Flat out to the weir is a great walk and bloody hard work, I prefer Lerderderg too, especially out near Blackwood.

1 Like

The whole Creeklands part of the Dandenong Ranges national park is in my 5km limit, so Iā€™ve been doing a lot of walking there during lockdown. Pretty decent workout going up the side of the mountain to Olinda or wherever via the Ridge Track or Dacite Track, and itā€™s really nice this time of year cos so many of the natives are flowering. I think my personal record so far is seven different species of wildflowers in a single photo. Iā€™m honestly surprised thereā€™s so little wildlife though. Birds are everywhere of course, but other than a single wombat burrow I havenā€™t seen even the slightest trace of anything else, no wallabies or roos etc.

2 Likes

I camped out at Blanket Bay on Monday & Tuesdayā€¦ and walked a bit of the Great ocean walk. Very quiet without international Tourists and school groups doing the expedition from Apollo Bay to The 12 Apostles.

Decided to come home last night as there was suppose to be snow fall last night, higher up in the Mountains and didnā€™t have enough warmth packed for such a cold night.

The wind was pretty intense, but it cleared a little yesterday Arvo and final got some sunshine when walking from Aire River to Cape Otway.

1 Like

One thing about Werribee Gorge, especially if youā€™ve got kids along, is that you can spot fossils in the rocks while youā€™re walking. Thereā€™s quite a lot of graptolites there, weird little geometric shapes in the rock.

2 Likes

Yep it is fantastic, and you can walk as long or as hard as you like. There are alos a few places with aboriginal painting.

the Lerderderg is interesting also because of the gold mining that went on in the area, with some interesting old structure still remaining, and the remnants of an old railway line.

1 Like

My lockdown activity is now trying to get to the bottom of why the bracken is dying at an alarming rate in Sherbrooke Forrest.

Iā€™ve spoken with park ranger friend of mine and a couple of plant physiologists and we all agree this is irregular behaviour for this time of year. So my daughter and I went in yesterday and took moisture and ph samples and on the weekend weā€™ll grab some soil samples to check for pathogens

Even the water alone was interesting. Itā€™s very dry in the areas we were testing the healthy bracken for point of reference. But not so low that you can put it totally down to water stress at this stage.

Either way heading into Summer this amount of dead foliage is a worry

2 Likes

Dead bracken is Iā€™m pretty sure normal where it frosts heavily. We used to see this at a place weā€™d go to in the Goulburn valley after it frosted hard. Maybe your area copped it very cold this year, more than typical? If new green shoots grow through during spring, itā€™s just a cycle but might be different (at that location) to some other years. Is there a difference between exposed versus sheltered areas, and in dips where cold air gathers? Dead bracken hangs around for yonks as itā€™s high and dry so doesnā€™t collapse/rot like dead grassā€¦

1 Like

Great thread.
Love me a big hike.
Tend to build a multi-day walk into our o/s trips, but havenā€™t done enough locally, so keen for tips.
I enjoyed You Yangs and Werribee Gorge with the fam recently.
Been meaning to check out Lederberg when we get back to some kinda normal.

In terms of o/s hikes, Iā€™m a bit of a softy, and usually have the fam in tow, so tend to go for multi-day hikes where I get to sleep in a bed and someone transports my main luggage to my accom. This is a great way of immersing in local culture as well as landscapes. Some highlights over the years -

• Coast to Coast across Northern England
  • Annapurna Sanctuary in Nepal
  • Kumano Kodo in Japan
  • Santiago Apoala in Mexico
  • Milford Track in NZ
  • Queen Charlotte Track in NZ
  • Great Ocean Walk in Vic
6 Likes

Itā€™s the same everywhere, itā€™s either all good in a cluster or all bad, itā€™s dead in the open, itā€™s dead in the shade. Iā€™m finding it hard to find the common link tbh. Other than the pathogen possibility. The rangers have said they canā€™t remember seeing it like this and are quite under resourced at the moment to investigate further. Although pathogens affected plants tend to be more prevalent near paths this seems to be spreading right through.

Iā€™m lucky that half my wifeā€™s lab equipment is in our garage and glasshouse at the moment so I have the ability to get a few cultures going and work out whatā€™s going on.

Gotta say the frost thing seemed to be quite feasible to me.

Been a really weird overly wet & cold year Weather wise,ā€¦ and Iā€™ve seen similar happen in the hills here after bad frost.

We had a lot more frost (and snow) last year and this didnā€™t happen. So itā€™s hard to say

Fair enough.

Anyway, playing ā€œBen FTI - Plant Detectiveā€, is a way better lockdown activity to relieve the boredom than NetFlix, eh? :wink:

2 Likes

Yeah, itā€™s a weird one. Iā€™ve covered a lot of ground at the other end of the park in the last month or so, and Iā€™ve seen nothing like that - thereā€™s loads of bracken, it all looks healthy, and new growth is sprouting in the areas where theyā€™ve been doing controlled burning. The fact that it looks to be so localised makes the pathogen scenario sound more plausible.