The Trail Hiking thread

That’s what I’m tipping, phytophthora is my suspicion.

Not much that can be down if it is, except for the odd sign telling people to stay on the paths, just have to let it run its course and hope that it doesn’t get to wide spread.

Although I’m looking forward to reading some research on the subject this evening.

1 Like

Lol, just clicked, …

“FTI”, … Flora Trauma Investigator:stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Nice!

1 Like

@Bacchusfox sees them in the bathroom mirror every morning.

Ok makes it sound unlikely. I’m just used to seeing dead bracken aplenty and then new bracken growing up through the dead stuff.

But maybe it really is some sort of die-back; does cinnamon fungus affect ferns?

I am supposed to be flying to Spain in two weeks time to walk the camino del norte, a 800kms route from Irún along the northern coast line then cutting down into the camino primitivo through the mountains of Galicia finishing up in A Coruña on the north west coast. I have a feeling that won’t be happening.

1 Like

That is most unkind. I am just a poor old sensitive bloke being hurt by all and sundry, and now ol’enry.

1 Like

Don’t know much about northern Spain - but did watch 100 days of Solitude (one of my family members dialed it up I think on Netflix). The photography is extraordinary but only because the mountains let it be so. Worth a look.

Cheers for the headsup. Filmed in Cantabria, which is stunning.

I didn’t know you were poor or sensitive!

can attest to the don’t do it on a weekend vibe.
haven’t done the part bltn mentioned but have done the other parts of the trail.
did one on a tuesday, and no one around, bar a handful of people.

did a different part of it on a saturday and boy that was not fun. I got there early and it was packed, when i left the cars where parked up he hill entrance right at the begining of it.

Wait for lockdown to finish that place will need a time slot system.

1 Like

Here’s a few photos, that I took with my phone, from my couple of days hiking this week.

2 Likes

Hmm, I am a bloke

done that one too, well the part that starts out the back of bacchus marsh.
did the trail that pretty much went straight up a ■■■■■■■ hill from from georges dam. was very steep :rofl: :rofl:

only problem is half way up the bloody hill any form of signage dissappears, so pretty much winged the rest of the trip up, followed the road for a bit, then went down where it seemed you should, got to the bottom and went back.

Like most of my adventures I have NFI how i got to where i did, and how i got back, but i did.

Then randomly down the bottom ended up walking past a group of school students with 2 teachers. Freakiest bloody thing to happen in the middle of absolutely no where, hadn’t seen anyone for almost 3 hours, and then randomly 20 people appear. I was like either i’m their ghost, or they are mine and some random bunch of school kids had been murdered out on that track and they just came to freak me out :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

thankfully with this threads help i’m gonna start heading more out the other way, but yes will be packed and shudder to think how bad it’ll be

They’re going to need to put traffic lights in at the Thousand Steps when lockdown stops.

3 Likes

Make it one way. Chaos!

1 Like

pretty much every popular place is gonna be like it once restrictions are over.

for once it won’t be my fat ■■■ the only one struggling to get up the steps for the forseeable future, all the people who haven’t done it for awhile will struggle just as much as i do ha

Dandenongs here also.

It is fantastic walking at the moment, as so many plants are coming into flower. Adds lot of colour to the bushland, and I love playing spot the orchid when out for a walk.

2 Likes