The wino thread (by Zebba, on behalf of GRR)

I’ll keep a look out for that one. They make great shiraz in the Heathcote region.

They make a beer called boon?

Was having some saganaki so I thought I’d get some Greek wine to go with it. I expected retsina to be the start and finish of it - to my surprise no retsina to be found at Uncle Dan’s but this $18 bottle was very nice. I have bought a few since and always goes well
Edit: sideways photo after reducing size. Doesn’t mean I ended up on my side!

3 Likes

Greek wines are heaps nice!

2 Likes

Had a central otago pinot noir from nanny goat over the weekend was very good. Also a paringa estate chardonnay, also excellent.

2 Likes

Assirtiko is a killer grape and really undervalued. Grown in Santorini. If you ever want a Greek red then the Xinomavro grape is your best bet.

2 Likes

Even more heaps nicer when you’re actually in Greece - and it’s 27 degrees at 7pm and you’re sitting in a village square lit up by a hundred little hanging light globes being waited on by a gorgeous Greek waitress or a quirky Greek waiter - whilst listening to stereotypical Greek tunes without a care in the whole wide world.

1 Like

Ahhh, the good old days… 2019!

9 Likes

Lol.

This is drinking beautifully now. Old vines about 50 years I think. They used to be in the Bendigo region but changed to heathcote. Paul died last year I think and his son Simon has taken over. Highly recommended. Cab is very good too.

3 Likes

The Tassie sparklings are generally good. Couple mentioned here already, but also Ninth Island is good value.
Had a Punt Road chardy (Yarra Valley) last night, was nice. It’s another generally good region for whites.
Mrs CB likes the Butterball chardy, which is fine for $15 or so.
Can get some great wines of all types on special under $20.

1 Like

One of the better value Vic wineries. Very high quality for $25ish bottle. There’s really good accommodation next door to the winery called the Farmhouse. Definitely recommend checking it out.

2 Likes

Howdy, can anyone recommend a good place to buy a quality mixed case of reds and whites?

Not garbage but genuinely decent wine. Where someone does the hard work for you.

I’m just a mug punter who normally takes uneducated guesses at the local bottlo.

Different Drop website have killer packs. Not your standard mass produced stuff. Just high quality boutique producers and very well priced. Prince Wine Store in South Melbourne are good for packs too.

Either way you’re best bet is independent wine stores. Tell them a bottle or 2 that you’ve liked and a price and they’ll sort you out with some similar stuff.

1 Like

Sorry to hear that Paul is no longer with us.

It’s a bit of a stretch to call their region Heathcote though. They are really out on their own. They were set up before any one made Heathcote famous.

1 Like

Vinomofo is good.

1 Like

We have been buying Naked Wines for the past year or so. Small wineries who don’t make the big chains. Plenty of reviews to read and it has all been good so far. Not a lot of cheapies. Plenty to choose from in the $16-22 range. You can get a $100 head start through a voucher that online sellers like Catch give away.

1 Like

Agreed, have used them plenty over the last few years

Yeah i have heard vinomofo from a few people now. Might give them a go.

Very true. Probably why they were in the Bendigo region for a while.