The wino thread (by Zebba, on behalf of GRR)

I think I still have a couple of bottles from the 1990 vintage. Better see what they’re like…

You need an excuse Albert?

Yes - otherwise they would not have lasted this long! It takes discipline to cellar wines for a long time.

1 Like

I’d crack one sooner rather than later. I remember the 96 was a cracker but that was in 98!

This one is still drinking beautifully.

9 Likes

The beer thread gets way too much love…

When really there is nothing more Australian than a glass of red with a few lamb chops…

1 Like

I can’t have red at the moment. It doesn’t like me at all.

:frowning:

I did have lamb chops for dinner though!

That’s a quality drop.

1 Like

I still have one left.

1 Like

Only if it’s one of these

Still makes up 50% of the Aus market believe it or not. Only the Swedes like the cask more than us.

Really? That actually surprises me. I remember growing up everyone drank them, but don’t see it as much anymore.

1 Like

Any RSL around QLD or NSW and its the ‘house red’. For only a couple of dollars a glass.

Found this cute little jar of umeshu while buying some beer. yum!

And it’s an Australian invention, too!

https://apple.news/AqrGtD6fTSaSOrfCX7ZOAIw

Something to cheer about in Victoria.
Miss out in Qld as Aldi are too evil to sell alcohol.

I’ve bought a couple of bottles from Aldi, never again, their wine is ■■■■■■■ garbage. The crap they sell for $20 is not nearly as good as stuff I can get for $12.

Maybe my last bottle of 96 Wynn’s black label cab. Hardly changed colour at all. Still dark purple
Bought for I think $12 in early 2000s. Maybe best ever vintage. Sublime

5 Likes

Here is a question for long-time wine afficionadoes.

In the '70sand '80s, The Coonawarra was the best place for cab-sav and those wines had a distinctive flavour. We used to say it was the “red clay” taste. But the current wines (including that '12 vintage) do not have this any more. Has anyone else noticed this? If so what is the explanation? Are the wine companies scared to depart from a standardized flavour?

1 Like

Maybe they are blending regions nowadays? I think only about 80% these days of the original Vinyard is required to classify as an estate wine?

1 Like