The Wrestling Thread

First half of the first night of MCW NINE done.

Amazing triple threat of @JettRouka vs. @AirbenderRoyce vs. @Emman_TheKid (I’d never seen the last two before, but they can go!)

Brooksy and Slex vs Caveman Ugg and Hartley Jackson (in his first match since returning from being a trainer at NXT) was quality, of course. Those four couldn’t put on a bad match.

The second half of Night One included The Natural Classics vs Kyle Fletcher (of Aussie Open) & Will Ospreay (fill-in for the other half of Aussie Open).

It was epic.

Fletcher (only 20yo!!!) and Ospreay proceed to the Tag Title match on Night Two.

Night Two had four stand-out matches:

• Hartley Jackson vs Caveman Ugg was a fast-paced heavyweight slobberknocker. Jackson had gone a full year without a match as trainer and producer at NXT, but it didn’t show. As we would see later, he’s hanging around and is after the Intercommonwealth Title.
  • Speaking of that, Jett challenged Danny Psycho for it. Jett is a young tall skinny flip machine and Pyscho is (now) a muscles-on-muscles Jeff Hardy type. Size-wise you shouldn’t be able to believe, but make me believe they did. Psycho retains, just.
  • The semi-final in the two night tournament to determine the first MCW women’s champ was by far the best of that tournament’s matches: Kellyanne vs Jessica Troy put on a wrestling clinic, especially in comparison to the two behemoths (one very green) clashing in the other semi before them. I’m glad there’s finally a women’s title but this match aside the path to it was rather meh.
  • And match of the night, comfortably, was Opreay & Fletcher taking on The Brat Pack for the tag title. I don’t even feel bad the ending was “ruined” by a returning Gino Gambino, piledriving Ospreay on the entrance ramp as Bullet Club reprisal for “stealing” Robbie Eagles to the NJPW Chaos faction.

Out of this night we have three takeaway messages:

• Steph de Lander is your inaugural women’s champion.
  • Next month it’s Slex © vs Brooks vs Dowie for the heavyweight tile. Tickets on sale Monday.
  • And at an undetermined date in 2020, we get Bullet Club vs CHAOS…

The promo and official tweet say there will be at least three of each faction present (I’m guessing more). The most boring version of that I can come up with is Ospreay, Eagles, and Nicholls vs Gambino, Fale, and ???

Hmm, stuff that, gimme Meng spawn or Ishimori or KENTA. And I missed Okada (stupid Midnight Oil tour) last time he was in MCW…

Eric bischoff lol. Being exposed as the un talented hack he is again

I know MCW and NJPW have a very good relationship, but Ospreay (wrestling) vs Gambino (on commentary) got an extended run on Monday’s King of Pro-Wrestling NJPW PPV, including explicit name drops for Melbourne City Wrestling.

It’s nice when “your local” is doing well.

At Sydney Airport waiting for a plane with Roman Reigns and Randy Orton!

They look much bigger on the TV and if Randy Orton is 6’5” then Joey is 7’.

Both look quite normal guys.

Xavier hurt himself at the Sydney show last night. Saw on twitter it’s his achilles. if snapped that could be 6-12 months out…

Ha. AEW’s Dynamite beat the ratings of WWE’s new A-show Smackdown this week.

(Yeah, I know it was kicked to a secondary channel due to the baseball finals, but losing 75% of your viewers in 3 weeks isn’t great. It was Smackdown’s lowest rating ever, by a loooooong way. It’s good thing for them that stations and countries are still willing to give them gazillions of dollars.)

Saw the numbers for smackdown. Shockingly low…
Very interesting to see the what they get back to when it goes back to the main channel this week.

AEW was an awesome show and finally found the right mix of promo to wrestling action (previously swaying too much to wrestling imo whilst WWE is too far the other way.)

Everything Jehrico/Cody was awesome, Inner Circle stuff was great and good to finally see them flesh out Hangman Page, whilst Moxley got a promo to kick some ■■■. Guevarra also getting time to shine and the attack on the Rock and Roll Express was well done.

Only weakness is the women, well below their WWE counterparts but I’m sure few care.

Yeah, the women is the only overtly bit in favour of WWE (though this week’s match was good). Otherwise… I feel soooo much less insulted watching AEW. It was even worth having the effin’ Librarian there this week so Mox could beat him up.

And a huge LOL at the people who complained about Jericho being Le Champeon. He’s so good.

And yes, Hagar [Swagger] is doubling down on the knee-to-the-balls gimmick after his MMA match got called off for it :slight_smile:

If you want to watch an aggressively retro show check out the new NWA weekly POWERRR. Lots of manly men (and women) you know on a small soundstage with decent production.

It’s on Youtube.

2019, and the Rock ’n’ Roll Express are bossing it.

Things keep getting weirder.

Well at least something is going well for ROH…

Keeping the music and gimmick.

https://twitter.com/slexthebusiness/status/1206385727799349248

Glad Liger got a proper farewell at New Year’s Dash; maybe it was his choice to job in his last two matches but BOOOOOOOOO. Very kayfabe choice of who got to participate in his departure ceremony. Tanahashi bawling.

Tokyo Dome highlights:

• Jon Moxley vs. Lance Archer — brutal and very entertaining. Archer has done well for himself in Japan. Plus the post-match clash of the two men who give ZERO farks was AWESOME. Suzuki, der.
  • Hiromu Takahashi vs. Will Ospreay — well, what did you expect. Yowsers. Thank Ospreay in Thornbury this Saturday!
  • Kazuchika Okada vs. Kota Ibushi — I marked the hell out for emotionless Ibushi entering killer mode.
  • The crowd absolutely losing their ■■■■ when someone did a Styles Clash.

Hey, they’re all first night matches! Attendance was notably greater for it too.

I guess you can include the heavyweight vs intercontinental title match that ends night two, as well…

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/174147053194

Looks like it was given to Gino Gambino for that purpose. Currently just over $4000.

Asuka my favourite women wrestler hope she beats Becky for the title at the rumble.

AEW signs new TV deal with TNT, 45 mill each year until 2023 with an option for an extra year. Basically getting an extra 19 mill each year and added another potentially 3 years on top of their existing deal. It’s not the big WWE TV deal of around 400 mill each year but it’s a good start that they can hopefully build and capitalize on, ecspecially given the company has just been running 3 months.

Also Taz signs with AEW, hopefully as a commentator role to compliment Jim Ross.

AEW beats NXT in the ratings again, 940,000 ave viewers in comparison to NXT’s 700,000.

Only real downside atm is the miserable womens division in AEW which is seriously lacking.

1 Like

When this moment happened was literally the most excited I’ve been watching WWE for about 10 years.

1 Like

Full length leather jackets are cool.

holy crap that was amazing. i jumped out of my seat.