The Wrestling Thread

Biggest pet peeve from Lucha Underground that one - when everybody on the roster is doing a flip through/over the ropes as a transition spot it just gets monotonous and loses all impact.

I do wonder whether the need to have extra long matches to fill time on RAW (thus more matches having breaks in them) has led to an increase in stuff like this as there is very few ways they like to head to a break - the vast majority of the time its a move to the outside as that way you can easily fill in half the 4min ad break brawling around ringside before throwing in a rest hold or 2.

I disagree with the “anybody off the street” could do it notion of the suicide dive - it isn’t a headlock, if it was that easy some wrestlers wouldn’t damn near kill themselves via clipping their feet.

Post draft there were more wrestlers on the RAW roster I liked and wanted to watch, but despite the cruisers being added I’ve pretty much tossed the towel in as far as watching it fully and without spoilers. I’ll read the report and tape bits of the late night replay I might be interested in but the booking at times is bizarre (Club being wasted whilst New Day still having the belts) and the writing and show structure most weeks is mediocre. I’m curious how long this 2 PPVs a month schedule will take before things feel overexposed and some fans just tap out as it is too much commitment. I do think there is a direct correlation between how well SmackDown is booked currently and the fact the head writer, Ryan Ward, was also head writer for NXT for many years.

Raw tag division needs a shake-up. Club should’ve been made into a real threat. New Day need to drop the belts and find a new gimmick. I love Enzo and Cass but they’re spinning their wheels too. TF happened to the Vaudevillains since two months after they were called up?

Cruiserweights kinda just got dumped into the show too without any real on-show build up.

KO and Jericho are holding that show up for now.

Funny how SD has done what the Uso’s what WWE should’ve done with Roman ages ago – turn heel – and suddenly they feel worth watching again.

TF happened to the Vaudevillains since two months after they were called up?
Simon Gotch got into an argument with Sin Cara backstage at RAW a few months back, which apparently resulted in Cara kicking his ■■■■ - don't think they're out of the doghouse yet. The complete lack of crowd reaction even before that though, didn't have them well placed. Maybe in this era those sorts of gimmicks might not be able transition to a mass audience, however I think the mistake WWE makes is assuming their audience automatically knows everybody from NXT just because it is on the WWE network and can just toss out talents on TV with no build-up - Breeze and the Vaudevillians are two that would've benefited immensely from vignettes

Ha wow.

Yeah the gimmick is probably a bit much these days but raw doesn’t seem able to introduce or build up or maintain anything. Rusev was looking awesome 18 months ago. Now so ordinary.

No Mercy was great.

Every AJ PPV match is amazing. Ziggler/ Miz was awesome. Slater and Rhyno continue to be fun. Bray finally gets a win. SD all over Raw atm.

Plus Smackdown just surprised by getting the best-moving hoss in the company (albeit, presumably, as a lackey once more).

No idea why Bray/Orton was the “main event”, though. Miz is old school MONEY.

I’ve been banging on about Miz in here for ages. Total gun, the very rare brand of heel that is universally despised. Hope they give him a crack at the main belt in the lead up to WM.

Best heel in the company right now. Dunno about a WM shot tho. Surely that’s Cena beating AJ for 16.

Bray shouldn’t have been last. Having the main event first was quite good tho.

Also why have Naomi beat Bliss? Made no sense. And if they needed a shock replacement they should’ve wheeled out Asuka for the night.

Bill Goldberg
‏@Goldberg
Booking my flight to answer that big mouth @HeymanHustle 's challenge next week in person on #MondayNightRaw #WhosNext? #seeyathere @WWE

Bill Goldberg ‏@Goldberg Booking my flight to answer that big mouth @HeymanHustle 's challenge next week in person on #MondayNightRaw #WhosNext? #seeyathere @WWE
#BoredNow (though I don’t think THAT match between them a decade ago was as bad as it’s made out to be)

I gather Summerslam is in Canada. Hopefully all the Bret Hart fans have long memories.

Bill Goldberg ‏@Goldberg Booking my flight to answer that big mouth @HeymanHustle 's challenge next week in person on #MondayNightRaw #WhosNext? #seeyathere @WWE
#BoredNow (though I don’t think THAT match between them a decade ago was as bad as it’s made out to be)

I gather Summerslam is in Canada. Hopefully all the Bret Hart fans have long memories.

Agree. Their match was pretty average but not the complete trainwreck that everyone says it was.

I just cant see goldberg coming in to lose a one off match, and vince isnt having him beat lesnar.goldberg must be making a truckload of cash from this.

A lot of people hate on goldberg, but i always liked him- just pure power. His spear will never be matched. Would just mow guys down with it. I remember him almost killing christian one night on raw

The idea of a part-timer, who beats all the full-timers, losing to a retired guy is just so WWE.

The idea of a part-timer, who beats all the full-timers, losing to a retired guy is just so WWE.

Everyone seems bored with Brock in general for awhile now. This won’t fix that.

I think that sometimes you guys have to realise that wrestling isn’t an intellectual endeavour where every plot needs to make perfect sense. It’s stupid entertainment for 14 year olds and those who are 14 years old at heart.

With that in mind, I’m very much looking forward to Goldberg. I think his streak was the catalyst for me to start watching WCW as a kid. As I remember, they way they ended the streak was by having him be electrocuted or something? It was great.

I’ll be watching next week for sure.

U FKN WOT M8?

Goldberg? Really?

I will be watching.

Guess I just don’t have the nostalgia for it. Never got into WCW and lost touch with WWE during the ruthless aggression era.

Guess I just don't have the nostalgia for it. Never got into WCW and lost touch with WWE during the ruthless aggression era.

I’m pretty sick of Lesanr to be honest. Just suplex x 20, F5. He wins. Just boring. No point building this massive monster if he never even looks like losing. They need someone like Samoa Joe to come in, and just destroy the guy- bust him open etc then face him at Wrestlemania.

The whole Lesnar comes out with Heyman, stands behind him while he cuts the same promo he always cuts is just dull.

I was always a wwf fan, never really got into WCW much at all except for Goldberg, I didn’t mind DDP as well. Steiner was gold on the mic but pretty average in the ring.

The funny thing is Lesnar is booked as unbeatable despite being severely restricted in what he is allowed to do: he could amateur wrestle everyone there (or close enough to that) to death too.

James Ellsworth was very lucky not to end up with a broken neck taking the Styles Clash - did exactly what you shouldn’t do and tucked his head

James Ellsworth was very lucky not to end up with a broken neck taking the Styles Clash - did exactly what you shouldn't do and tucked his head

Yeah looked nasty