This is Party Time with Gary Moorcroft

20 years on: Moorcroft’s legendary hanger still ‘remarkable’

by Alex Catalano

20 years on from Gary Moorcroft’s legendary mark, the image still lives on. (Photo: Essendon FC)

On this day, 20 years ago, Essendon’s Gary Moorcroft reached new heights.

It was a mark that had the eyes of Australia on it. The stage couldn’t have been any more perfect, primetime television on a Friday night with over 48 thousand people packed into the Docklands.

Moorcroft could seemingly do anything he wanted that night.

He’d kicked five goals up to that point in the second quarter, and Bulldogs coach Terry Wallace couldn’t seem to find a match-up in his backline.

It was a strange opponent that was a stepladder to Moorcroft’s incredible moment.

“I was on a bit of a roll that night,” Moorcroft told Yarra Valley FM .

“I’d had two or three opponents, and I think Johno [Brad Johnson] decided to come down off his own bat and take it on his own will to man me up.

“He doesn’t like talking about it too much! He’s a good man to admit that.”

The image of the mark is one that lives on to this very day. However, for Moorcroft, it was a moment that spelt the start of the end of his AFL career.

Landing heavily on his hip coming down from the screamer, he would crack a bone that became dislodged in his hip socket.

“When you land on grass that’s covering a concrete slab underneath, it doesn’t tickle,” Moorcroft laughs.

Moorcroft, after the mark

A premiership player with the Bombers, he would be delisted at the end of the 2002 season. It was through a mix of the injury and being surrounded by talented youngsters that Moorcroft would find himself in the margins of Kevin Sheedy’s selection sheets.

Nowadays, he manages a scrap metal company. However, it wasn’t an easy journey out of football for Moorcroft.

He joined Yarra Valley Mountain Football League club Silvan, before famously finding a home at Northern Football League club Bundoora.

Even 20 years on from his career-defining moment, Moorcroft says it still comes up in conversation.

“Look, it comes up occasionally,” he laughed.

“It’s a good breaking point I suppose work wise, chatting to people it breaks the ice a bit. It always gets better as you get older.

“I don’t watch the replay, but I tell everyone I get higher and higher each year. At this stage I’m telling everyone I headbutted the roof!”

Even as he approached his 40s, Moorcroft’s high-flying nature couldn’t be tamed. He has two spectacular marks doing the rounds from his time at Bundoora, nearly as good as the original.

As he reflects on what was of his AFL career, Moorcroft speaks candidly about why he continues to play footy to this very day.

“It’s a game I loved as a young fella… I still love playing the game now,” he said.

“I’m actually back at Bundoora having a run around in the twos, just to have a kick and help out my young fella as well. Trying to guide the young kids through there as a forward coach down there.

“It’s something to look back on as you get older.”

From the commentary box

Calling the game on the night was former Carlton and Fitzroy legend Robert Walls, Hawthorn premiership hero Dermott Brereton, and sports commentary legend Bruce McAvaney.

McAvaney famously said the mark would be shown on American network CNN, and it was!

Speaking to The Inner Sanctum , he watched the mark for the first time in years. He admits he’s enjoyed the opportunity to reflect on the magical moment.

“I haven’t seen it in such a long time… it was incredibly exciting,” McAvaney said.

“At the time it seemed like a monumental moment. Having a look back at it, it seems just as good now as it was then. It’s right up there in terms of a one-off [moment].

“Gary had this quite amazing quarter of football, and this was the exclamation mark to what was a pretty remarkable 20 minutes for him.

“It’s just crazy, it was almost a ridiculous mark in a way. How did he do it?

“Looking back at it now… in terms of pure excitement it’s right up there with anything else I’ve done as an AFL caller.”

Bruce McAvaney hosting the Brownlow Medal Count. (Photo: Essendon FC)

When reflecting on the great marks, the question always arises: which was the best?

The Aussie rules community will points towards some of the all-time greats; Nick Riewoldt running back with the flight, Alex Jesaulenko’s beauty, and of course, Moorcroft’s itself.

McAvaney’s decades-long commentary career has seen him calling the best of the best. Moorcroft’s is right up there with the greats, he says.

“I called Shaun Smith’s mark at the Gabba… it was sort of epic,” he said.

“Gary Ablett Sr when he was coming down… there’ve been numerous, numerous others. Jeremy Howe provided a lot over the years. The courageous marks.

“Gary’s [Moorcroft] was slightly more remarkable, because he wasn’t noted for it. It was almost not part of the playbook, whereas Smith was quite a high-flyer. His mark’s nearly vertical Smith… he gets to quite a height.

“Gary’s is physical. When you look at it, he’s there a lot of physicality about what he did and how he sprung into the air. He’s like a gymnast bending himself back, a contortionist.

“I think for pure take your breath away, this is the one that I’ve witnessed live or called live.”

4 Likes

Best mark I’ve seen live.

We all went ■■■■■■■ troppo after it

1 Like

I think we can all agree… Fark Brad Johnson.

1 Like

the sheer reaction speed (time elapsed between kick and mark) and the clean take overhead off an absolute dogsht kick makes this the goat for mine

1 Like

Loved him as a player.
Nimble young tank.

Commonly referred to by commentators as The Pocket Battleship.

Easily the best mark I have ever seen live.

I was in a corporate box that day (as a 19yo). Side on to the mark, same side as the famous photo was taken from.

My old man was entertaining clients in the corporate box, and said I could take a spare ticket he had, if I just stayed quietly in the corner and was on good behaviour.

Of course with an handful of beers in the tank when that mark got taken, I proceeded to absolutely lose my sh.it in front of everyone.

9 Likes

Just signed at Bundoora again until the end of the year as a 45 year old.

4 Likes

It just never gets old. Always loved watching him as a player, pretty sure I recall him taking a screamer in the U/18 GF which I think he may have also captained. We got him with a late pick or was it rookie or supplementary list but it was speculative. I recall being pretty happy with the selection. Probably should’ve gone earlier but he was a bit of a lad. He’s probably what some refer to these days as a natural footballer, the mark was so amazing but overshadows the fact he could seriously play. To get a proper run of games over that era at the club you had to be.

1 Like

Hasn’t watched it in a long time?

Hang on…. Hird was the ruckman?

Not sure what was stranger. That, or that the kick to Moorcroft came off Lucas’ right boot.

3 Likes

Typical salty Walls
Everyone caught up in the moment (which TBF didn’t take much for Bruce McV)
Instead Walls murmurs like the sarcastic Essendon hating prick that he is “hope he kicks it”

judd lalich

1 Like

I think that was first game I ever went to at Docklands.

The fact that he was already on a run of goals meant that as soon as the ball went near him there was anticipation.

And then when he did that… it was like 20 000 volts ripped through the whole stadium.

2 Likes

Which time?

4 Likes

I loved Rama trying to receive the handball for an easy goal.

Pick any Tuesday in his career.

2 Likes

ah yes… oops!!

Unfortunately not much (or any) footage from his Silvan days

edit found the 2007 Valley grand final.
Actually think there’s 4-ex Bombers (Moorcroft, Henneman, Bullen, Haynes) playing as well as Dermie and Monky for Woori

2 Likes