Tiffany and Training At St Bernards

Call me eccentric if you will but I’m very particular about milkshakes. The café at Tullamarine makes a decent chocolate shake but it’s my belief that they should be served in the tall metal mixing container not a glass and it was for this reason that I keep such a vessel in my car. I was engaged in pouring my shake into this when I was interrupted by the arrival of my good friend, the ace reporter, Tiffany who, looking disdainfully at me, greeted me with “You idiot Jackie.”

I didn’t take offence at this and smiled in greeting

“What’s happening Tiff?”

“I’ve just come from St Bernards.”

“The catholic boys’ school in Essendon?”

“That’s right Jackie. Following Eddie McGuire’s remarks about Caroline Wilson and the ice water slide the school wanted a female reporter to talk to the boys about respect for women.”

“What did you tell them?”

“Technically that what Eddie did was wrong but you should not have the same level of expectation for him that you would have for someone like Lindsay Tanner so that it was less of a crime. Then I told them that reporters feel that freedom of speech is more important than whether you cause offence and this overrides any other issue here.”

“Sounds right to me Tiff how did it go down?”

“The boys liked it but one of the brothers was somewhat upset so I told him about St Bernard.”

“The school’s patron saint?”

“Yes. He has a link to ice water too it’s part of his temptations and intercessions.

One day, to cool down his lustful temptation, Bernard threw himself into ice-cold water. Another time, while sleeping in an inn, a prostitute was introduced naked beside him, and he saved his chastity by running.
Many miracles were attributed to his intercession. One time he restored the power of speech to an old man that he might confess his sins before he died. Another time, an immense number of flies, that infested the Church of Foigny, died instantly after the excommunication he made on them.

So great was his reputation that princes and Popes sought his advice, and even the enemies of the Church admired the holiness of his life and the greatness of his writings.

“How did the brother react to that?”

“He ran away – perhaps he was worried about his chastity,” Tiffany gurgled.

“St Bernards is where the twelve disciples are training isn’t it. I haven’t gone to watch because they want privacy.”

“Well” said Tiff “I sneaked a peek and the boys, many of whom barrack for Essendon, Simon Madden and Gary Foulds being two famous ex-students, have been watching and told me quite a lot.

Training has been very intense, just seven of them at the moment, and they are pushing themselves hard. Lots of decision making drills – three on four etc. and a lot of opportunity to improve their skills – especially kicking off the non preferred foot. With no matches to worry about they can afford to make some mistakes to get it right.”

My milkshake made that gurgling sound that occurs when it is finished. I looked up.

“Will Hurley stay?”

“”I’m confident” said Tiff “but I don’t know. Perhaps if we pray to St Bernard….”

New comic on the way!

Pray to St Francis.

His fourth Miracle is due.

Tiff given access where even Jackie fears to tread. As a former student of a Catholic boys’ school I can only imagine the thoughts that were going through the St Bernard’s boys’ heads when the lovely Tiffany strolled into the grounds.

And the mention of Gary Foulds. Sigh. Possibly our most underrated player of all time. They threw him to full forward once just to see how he’d go and he bagged a lazy 7.

And the mention of Gary Foulds. Sigh. Possibly our most underrated player of all time. They threw him to full forward once just to see how he'd go and he bagged a lazy 7.

Against Richmond. He played on Francis Bourke near the end of his career. Bourke was too slow for him.

St Bernards is probably the only school in Australia that can boast: 4 x 300 game players (two mentioned by Jackie), a Brownlow medallist, a Coleman medallist, and a Norm Smith medallist (mentioned by Jackie). Just short of 70 former students have played AFL/VFL, a fair proportion of them Bombers. Two on our list at the moment, Joe Dan and Polky. OK, you guessed it - I’m an old (very old) boy, with a son there. It was great being a third form Bomber fanatic and looking up, and up, to Simon Madden in the school yard when he made his debut for EFC as a fifth former. And just for the record, Tiff wouldn’t have had to worry about the brother and his chastity because there hasn’t been a brother there for several years. Fark Carlton.

In all my years there I never heard the naked prostitute story. Not sure how it slipped through.

Tiff given access where even Jackie fears to tread. As a former student of a Catholic boys' school I can only imagine the thoughts that were going through the St Bernard's boys' heads when the lovely Tiffany strolled into the grounds.

And the mention of Gary Foulds. Sigh. Possibly our most underrated player of all time. They threw him to full forward once just to see how he’d go and he bagged a lazy 7.

Triple Like. I wore No. 10 on my back for Alan Noonan but quickly warmed to Gary Foulds. Not under rated in my view, loved watching him play.

St Bernards is probably the only school in Australia that can boast: 4 x 300 game players (two mentioned by Jackie), a Brownlow medallist, a Coleman medallist, and a Norm Smith medallist (mentioned by Jackie). Just short of 70 former students have played AFL/VFL, a fair proportion of them Bombers. Two on our list at the moment, Joe Dan and Polky. OK, you guessed it - I'm an old (very old) boy, with a son there. It was great being a third form Bomber fanatic and looking up, and up, to Simon Madden in the school yard when he made his debut for EFC as a fifth former. And just for the record, Tiff wouldn't have had to worry about the brother and his chastity because there hasn'tbeen a brother there for several years. Fark Carlton.
primary school i went to 4playersall captains 1 brownlow 3 premierships 1 missed norm smith (came im next year) 1 morrish medal.All from 1tiny primary school.fark carlton.

School I went to had fletch.

End of.

Breakfast is Tiffany.