Tim Membrey

Adds a vast amount of versatility, lets say we face North again with their three key forwards all over 195cm. Throw Carlisle back and make Membrey FF.

Pick #50 seems more than fair. He was a mid to latish pick who has failed to crack more than a handful (only 1?) AFL matches.

I'd say we have a lot of guys on our list who wouldn't get even 1 game at the swans

Their depth isn't what it was. Buddy deal taking effect, the money's all concentrated at the top end rather than a big deep squad.

Towers / Biggs / Membrey / LRT / OKeefe / Zak Jones / Naismith (???) all got game/s and didn't really do much.

The 22 from the GF + Laidler, Mitchell, Derickx is about the extent of their depth.

Adds a vast amount of versatility, lets say we face North again with their three key forwards all over 195cm. Throw Carlisle back and make Membrey FF.

Other idea for that role: pick the guy we picked all year in that role.

And it's not a high priority. Our issue isn't taking marks, it's small forwards. Sure, he's under 190cm but he plays tall. With Carlisle & JD settling in taking marks isn't what we'll struggle with.

I don't get the point of him at all.
I look at our forward line and about the last thing I tihnk we need is a mid-size mid-role mid-pace mid-everything.
He certainly wouldn't be a high priority but would still be very handy depth at worst imho

Ambrose cover?

Priority 214892418.

I'm just saying if the options there, at the right value, then we should be very serious about recruiting him. At the moment, I certainly don't have a lot of faith in the club, but I'm sure Disco is working hard. He knows what's up.

FF: Membrey Butcher

And it's not a high priority. Our issue isn't taking marks, it's small forwards. Sure, he's under 190cm but he plays tall. With Carlisle & JD settling in taking marks isn't what we'll struggle with.

I look at our forward line and about the last thing I tihnk we need is a mid-size mid-role mid-pace mid-everything.
He certainly wouldn't be a high priority but would still be very handy depth at worst imho
Ambrose cover?
Priority 214892418.
Besides being similar in size they are nothing alike at all

I'm just saying if the options there, at the right value, then we should be very serious about recruiting him. At the moment, I certainly don't have a lot of faith in the club, but I'm sure Disco is working hard. He knows what's up.

I'm perhaps being overly critical because I don't see us getting anywhere trying to pass Hardie/DVU/Stein/Pears off as "almost" key position players - who don't offer much at ground level. Not getting much value out of that list space IMHO.

Don't want us to do it agian, I want to see us be more decisive & pick either genuine talls and genuine - quick - ground level players.

If we get rid of a couple of Pears/Hardie/DVU I could cop Membrey (for a reasonable pick). Even though they play different ends.

Ambrose cover?
Priority 214892418.

Given, but can you see him being used alongside Ambrose? Or replacing Carlisle or JD?

188cm? He sounds like Ben McKinley.

He's not.  McKinley was a natural born fringe forward.  Membrey is a different breed.  Loves being the focal point. 

I'm trying to think of a current AFL player like Membrey, and not having much success.  Darling maybe, but Membrey is a bit more of a stay-at-home type.

FF: Chapman, Daniher, Membrey
HF: Ambrose, Carlisle, Garlett

Ambrose cover?
Priority 214892418.
Given, but can you see him being used alongside Ambrose? Or replacing Carlisle or JD?

I can see him being very handy to have if any of those 3 are injured especially if god forbid one has a long term injury because if that were to happen right now who would we play?
Pears? Stein? I think having solid back up who is an actual forward would be wise and also we lacked fire power this season so another forward putting some pressure on the incumbents could only be a good thing

He's not.  McKinley was a natural born fringe forward.  Membrey is a different breed.  Loves being the focal point. 

I'm trying to think of a current AFL player like Membrey, and not having much success.  Darling maybe, but Membrey is a bit more of a stay-at-home type.

That's not really a good thing in modern football given he is only 188cm. Sounds like he is an undersized full forward.

Can't find a thread on here anywhere else, so I start this one. It would be so great to get Membrey into our forward line, would be a great player at senior level anywhere else but Sydney and he knows how to kick goals- 104 in the past two NEAFL seasons. Considering we lacked avenues to goal for parts of the 2014 season, to pick up him and Jeff Garlett would add real depth and versatility to our forward line. I really like the look of both and hope that we can pick them up in trade period. 

It seems the Bulldogs and Essendon are the two leaders in the race for Membrey at the moment... http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/victorian-forward-tim-membrey-requests-trade-with-essendon-and-western-bulldogs-in-hunt/story-fn69a32t-1227077570836?login=1

I read somewhere that he was a big Essendon supporter growing up, so hopefully he has a soft spot for us and it swings him in our direction. 

#RecruitMembrey

Just for a point of comparison Cleve Hughes kicks 80 every year and Eddie Sansbury kicked 60 this year.

Take out the GWS & Swans reserves the NEAFL is roughly halfway between division 1 of a good suburban league & VFL standard.

I think you're being unfair to Div 1 of a good suburban league.

VFL clubs send half their seconds into the Foxtel Cup against the NEAFL clubs and beat them by 10 goals.

We did however just find a kid in A Grade Ammos and that would be the only bloke I would see this bloke replacing.

A whole heap of people here are basing their arguments around that he’d be good depth and cheap. Why on earth would he come to us just to be a depth player? His preferred position from HM’s post is the central role - and he’s not going to be played over Carlisle or JD here.
He’d be much better targetting the bulldogs or St Kilda.

Ambitious.

A whole heap of people here are basing their arguments around that he'd be good depth and cheap. Why on earth would he come to us just to be a depth player? His preferred position from HM's post is the central role - and he's not going to be played over Carlisle or JD here.
He'd be much better targetting the bulldogs or St Kilda.

Yup,
Let's go after a guy who wants to play in the ones by promising him a game in the 2s lol

We could do with a player like this with genuine smarts around goal and forward craft. I’d be interested in him for a third rounder.

Assuming for the moment we did bring Membrey in, I'd expect us to push Ambrose further up the ground.  His enormous tank would allow him to be better in a leadup role and with his tackling ability and strength he could potentially even tag effectively, especially once he's got another AFL preseason in him.  Ambrose has enormous raw potential, I don't think we should be pigeonholing him as a permanent deep fwd simply because that;s where he played this year.