Time Essendon FC got rid of its Pokies licences

Charge everyone $100 extra for their memberships if people want pokies gone. Simple

5 Likes

Yet the (deserved) knock on X_Campbell et al. is they were too focused on non-core football matters.

Whatever they were focused on hasnā€™t addressed the pokies.

1 Like

Seinfeld - I Had A Pony on Make a GIF

4 Likes

Who do you think you are, Dan Andrews?

4 Likes

Not my principles

Why would EFC put any money at all into Windy Hill ? We have no ownership, no control and while some see it as ā€œthe Spiritual Homeā€, it is a pox ridden place that the locals can keep.

Wot ? The board has been focussed on revenue to the detriment of the Football program. Now it is turned around, you want it turned back ?

Pokies are legal and a good revenue earner.

1 Like

Thatā€™s not entirely correct. XC was excellent at the football related commercial business: Membership, Sponsorship etc. itā€™s the Boards responsibility to devise and work with XC on the ā€˜non coreā€™ commercial business. Instead I think they were too reliant on hitting up the high net worth supporters when they needed to, rather than relentlessly building non core business.

Now XC is departed, test will be to see how the football specific commercials hold up. Hopefully, membership aside, things are going ok but it doesnā€™t solve the broader position of the club and itā€™s apparent lack of financial strength or performance to exit anytime soon.

I think this is still the case.
The functions are solely directed towards high paying members.

There arenā€™t too many people who can afford a $350 ticket to a 1993 Premiership reunion.

1 Like

We should be able to focus both on football and the business, do both exceptionally well. Like all successful clubs do. Essendon isnā€™t in rude financial health like youā€™d possibly think.

Windy Hill is to become clubs home of VFL, AFLW. Its facilities arenā€™t up to required standard as a match venue. Itā€™s also important the club retains the joint as its spiritual heartbeat, despite not training there. Most supporters see Windy Hill as having an important intangible (and tangible) role in ensuring a strong connection between the football club, its community and fanbase.

I mean hitting these really wealthy supporters up for really big bucks.

In what way?
They arenā€™t paying for seating at Tullamarine.
They do also direct other functions and game day events towards them (but also to wealthy members).

I mean through the fundraising campaigns for the Hangar, saga debt and the discrete fundraising they do.

When I was in the ACT supporters group, composed mostly of public servants , getting glossy pamphlets ā€˜ Why not treat yourself?ā€™ Featuring special offers costing thousands per member, I couldnā€™t possibly afford, they automatically went to recycling.

1 Like

Iā€™m lost.
Thatā€™s way too vague.

The only they fund parts of redevelopment is if a coterie ends up running some of the parts of the club (like the Essendonians do with the function rooms).
Some of the wealthier ones sponsor individual players and want some return on that investment too.

Iā€™m not sure where they can use wealthy supporters donations to supplant the yearly revenue the Pokies garners.

Go and read previous annual reports. Theyā€™ve generated tens of millions in donations from ā€˜fundraisingā€™.

Anyhow, they can do that and all clubs do. However many clubs the last decade have build strong non core businesses and strengthened their balance sheets accordingly.

Now, cue those that say weā€™ve been too focussed on businessā€¦ fir all that focus, we hold negligible cash and hold negligible liquid assets. Our financial performance whilst sound, hasnā€™t ensured we are financially strong enough to exit pokies and forsake the revenue it raises annually.

Iā€™m just saying until the club is strong enough financially, and able to replace the lost revenue, it canā€™t just walk away from pokies. Especially with membership declining this year etcā€¦

3 Likes

IIRC there was some sort of tax deductible arrangement negotiated for donations to the Tullamarine facility, connected to Paralympian access to the Hangar

That doesnā€™t necessarily mean that money filters to the club as far as profits are concerned.
Parts of that would be collecting for Anzacs, Dreamtime at the G, etc.

We also include ā€˜government fundingā€™ in our reports quite a bit too which are more to do with grants to do various things (like the EEA and an expansion to the Hangar).

Iā€™m not too sure there are many cash reserves in football clubs.
For instance, Hawthorn sold off their pokies and paid off all their debts (whatever they were). But the left over money would be going into purchasing other assets, part of the next redevelopment, or send back through the community somehow.

I do agree with you though. Iā€™m not expecting to get out of pokies for another few years. They also need to try and get out of ā€˜alcohol in sportsā€™ too. So that would include pubs, etc. Itā€™s getting tougher and tougher to find ethical revenues for a club to just keep things turning over.
This is also occurring at a time before AFLW becomes more professional and starts warranting more resources rather than shared from the AFL program.

For years Essendon Football Club had the reputation for being puritan wowsers.

Sheedy came along and breathed some working class life into the place, and now we seem to have another bunch of puritans who want us to give up alcohol, gambling, social functions and probably making any noise

We can start with new uniforms

2 Likes

The way you go on about this is kind of stomach churning.
Youā€™ve made your point so many times.

Makes me think itā€™s more than just ā€˜but oi loik pokies!ā€™, but whatever.

3 Likes

Iā€™m kind of torn on this.

Do I like pokies? Not overly.

Do I want EFC to run pokies. No.

Do I want to sell our pokie licence so someone else can run the machines? No.

So if we were selling cause there was a ā€˜buybackā€™ then sure sell them. If we are selling to someone else to own and operate them then no.

3 Likes

All but 4 of the Melbourne-based AFL Clubs have been able to operate without pokies licences. There is no reason why Essendon canā€™t do the same. I think having poker machine licences damages Essendonā€™s reputation as a sporting club.

2 Likes