Time Essendon FC got rid of its Pokies licences

Not much at Melton Club. Current hours are 8 am to 3 am every day except Sunday which is 10 am to 12 am

Closing hours is not an issue, as the only people there currently after midnight are the drunks like me. Staff watch those who linger over the pokies and there are only one or two. Opening hours will affect as few desperates who gamble before going to work.

Time limits and having to have a Players Card will also only affect a few, as most use a Members Card anyway for the benefits. The $100 limit will raise the hackles of some, who love pumping $50 into machines, but they will learn to like it.

From a Club pokie revenue point of view, I would expect revenue to fall by 10%

1 Like

@Houli_Dooli

Good question. The proposed changes would likely reduce revenue for the club, as there will be greater controls on people gambling at the Melton and Windy Hill Poker Machine venues. I donā€™t think we can predict exactly what impact it will have until we see what actual changes are implemented by the Government. We can expect the gaming industry to start its political campaign to water down these new controls.

You might be interested to know that members of NoPE Inc met with representatives of the Essendon Football Club administration earlier this month to try to convince the Club to commit to exiting the gaming machine industry. Unfortunately, we were told that Essendon FC is too reliant on its gambling revenue to make such a commitment. We are disappointed with this response, but it only confirms that unless we keep pressure on the club to change, they wonā€™t.

Visit our website at www.nope.org.au to read the media release following our meeting with the Club. Feel free to like our instagram posts as well.

7 Likes

Is there any indication of progress at least? We were told in (if I remember right) the 2018 AGM that the club was actively researching ways to get out of the pokie business, and Iā€™d fairly sure i heard the same line sometime before the Saga (though i canā€™t check because the Blitz archives for that time are kinda dead)

Did EFC give NoPE any indictation of progress made over the last 5 years, or even the last decade, in moving away from gambling revenue? Cos it really seems like not much is happening at all.

1 Like

To be fair, this is following Essendon or any football club in general.

1 Like

Good question @Humble_Minion .

There were articles written in 2018 suggesting that the club was looking at weening itself off gambling revenue, but by the AGM in December 2018 they had abandoned that position and recommitted to their poker machines revenue.

The Club has avoided the spotlight on this issue ever since, although the issue has been raised at AGMs and the club gives corporate-speak replies to these questions.

We set up NoPE Inc because we believe that the club will never change unless members start to put pressure on the club.

NoPE was very happy when Mark Bolton was appointed by the Club in June to explore alternative revenue streams. Unfortunately, at our meeting with the club, they would not agree to committing any new revenue streams to be an alternative to gambling revenue.

NoPE would welcome any support from members who agree with our agenda. If you would like to get involved, send us an email at [email protected]

3 Likes

Just picking up on what @Dons1984 has said about the lack of detail making it hard to predict what effect the changes will have.

I think the real test will be the detail of the mandatory pre-commitment levels.
Tasmania announced changes last September where players will need to set a mandatory loss limits of up to $100 a day, $500 a month and $5,000 a year. These changes arenā€™t due until end of next year so we donā€™t yet know what kind of drop thatā€™s had on gambling figures. We also donā€™t know what limits Victoria plan on introducing, other than not being able to load up a machine with more than $100 - will that be the total daily limit or just on a single machine?

So what do we know?

According to the Social Cost of Gambling to Victoria report (2014-15), it is estimated that 35.8% of gambling expenditure on pokies in Victoria is from problem gamblers and a further 23.6% from moderate-risk gamblers. Only 18.7% is from non-problem gamblers.

For context, the Gambling Activity in Australia report (2017) finds that 58.5% of people who play pokies are non-problem gamblers and 6.3% are problem gamblers. So those 6.3% of people are contributing 35.8% of the money that goes into pokies. The 58.5% of people not at risk of gambling harm only contribute to 18.7% of pokies revenue. This should come with caveats around not knowing if the two reports are using the same methodologies to classify problem gamblers, one report is Vic only and the other national, but itā€™s at least useful to base a loose conversation around.

Thereā€™s also problems applying the problem gambler expenditure numbers (from the social costā€¦ report) across the board, as it would fluctuate by LGA and by venue, but Iā€™m going to do it anyway for the sake of argument but just keep in mind the figures in grey are not official. The expenditure data is and can be found here.

So a good mandatory pre-commitment system with low loss limits, like what was announced in Tasmania, can be expected to impact a smaller group of people (problem gamblers, some moderate risk depending on their behaviour) however it can drastically limit their spend - Iā€™d need to find a source but Iā€™ve heard it said mandatory pre-commitment could cut gaming revenue by up to 30% (** checked source and it was a regularly used industry number in the 2010 productivity commission inquiry into gaming/mandatory pre-commitment)

From past experience working in venues, problem gamblers donā€™t often contribute a whole lot in terms of food or drink sales so I donā€™t imagine that revenue stream being touched much.

From the 2022 Annual Report Essendon made $3.37m profit from their two venues.

Revenue
Venues revenue - sales of food & liquor $4,060,076.00
Venues revenue - other $9,265,801.00
Expenses
Venues expenses $9,955,693.00
Total P/L $3,370,184.00

Both venues are open 8am - 3am most days. I donā€™t know if theyā€™ll be able to change to 10am-4am so that they only lose one hour - Canā€™t imagine councils would be too willing. If not, you could probably bank up to a couple of hundred grand in staff costs across the two venues. Iā€™m not sure what other drop in expenses there would be?

Between Bacchus Foxā€™s estimate of a 10% reduction in gaming revenue and my higher 30% number the profit from the operations of the two venues could drop from $3.37m to anywhere between about $600k - $2.5m.

Iā€™m a member of NoPE but this is very much just me thinking aloud here rather than a position of ours and as stated, most of those numbers come with caveats but act as a point for discussion.

4 Likes

It probably is a good step as govt is basically forcing us to reduce reliance on pokies revenues.
But also would diminish the value of said pokies licence if we decide to sell them.

1 Like

Probably not an issue for Melton Club as it is in an Industrial precinct, but I do not think they will change hours to close at 4 am, as I am told in the period from 1 am to 3 am, staff costs are higher than revenue. Opening at 10 am maybe the issue.

[quote=ā€œlongs93GFgoal, post:328, topic:28686ā€] Iā€™ve heard it said mandatory pre-commitment could cut gaming revenue by up to 30%
[/quote]

Not sure where that is coming from. All the data I have seen from Gamblers Help reckon it will really cut into the Problem Gambler losses and that 10% overall will be nearly all from the addicted. That said, the fear is that Problem Gamblers will move to other gambling forms including, online, horses, dogs etc.

Mrs Fox who did her Thesis on problem gambling believes that the new rules will curtail many problem gamblers as Pokies set up the escape world that many addicts seek, whereas horse and dogs is closer to real world. She fears online gaming will grow.

Agree 100%. I have been using YourPlay at Crown since it came in and while I do not have a gambling problem, it does focus time spent and money lost. I favour the Tassie numbers and reckon they should just bring it in now. Still allows me to get my entertainment time and keeps many under better controls. I just got an email from YourPlay for my data from the last 12 months for my pokie time at Crown. It showed about 16 hours playing time, a total spend of about $1600 and losses of about $200. I had spent more time at Melton in the last year, and it is probably about the same. New Laws would give me data for grand totals. While it was about what expected, it was interesting to review, and I wonder what the data from a Problem Gambler may look like.

Essendon need to get onboard this if they lose pokie revenue :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

During COVID I started playing this game on my iPAD building houses and gardens. It was a distraction, and you either had to wait to earn points so you could move along or buy Tokens. So I started buying a few here and there and found I had spent a few hundred dollars in no time at all. Shocked and stunned, so I deleted every game off my phone, iPad and PC.

Fkg LOL

1 Like

did the phone and ipad ding like a slot machine?

1 Like

To be fair, games like Bubble Witch etc. are designed to give the exact same dopamine hits with their bright colours and music as pokies are.

Edit: Although Iā€™m not sure those farm games work quite the same wayā€¦

1 Like
1 Like

Sydney is a bundle of hypocrisy. Supports the LGBT etc community, yet has Qatar airways as a sponsor. Wankers.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve been playing Clash of Clans for years and have never spend 1 cent.

I now sit there waiting 18 days for an upgrade, but I donā€™t care.

I am glad to read that government policy changes are likely to stem gambling losses from poker machines. Itā€™s a shame that the corporate managers at Essendon canā€™t be bothered to do anything about their addiction to the clubā€™s 190 poker machine licences.

Well done to No Pokies at Essendon (NoPE) for keeping the corporate managers in the club accountable.

1 Like

Some food for thought (click on link):

Victorian AFL clubs raked in $40m from poker machines last financial year | Gambling | The Guardian

4 Likes

All good and well to get rid of them, but the club isnā€™t financially sufficient to do so. Until it generates additional revenue sources or becomes successful and drives its core revenues harder, this is an ambition but not feasible at present.

2 Likes

The MSM have picked up the poker machine story and are running with it. The AFL clubs still involved donā€™t want to talk about it.

1 Like