Time Essendon FC got rid of its Pokies licences

You mean my Pokies losses go on good things ? Thanks, I am off to the Melton Club to do some more community service.

Like what and who ?

Sorry but that is very doubtful.

They need to have a bank of machines for the Dodo retirement fund. I’d drive the 80km just to donate.

1 Like

I put a bit a cash in for you mate.

1 Like

Highest rate of domestic violence in NSW is after the NRL grand final

1 Like

Mrs Fox worked for Gamblers Help in Ballarat for many years as a Counsellor, and she did hear about some tragic outcomes. Most of which is hidden from family and friends until it is too late.

I do recognise the issues some have with gambling of all kinds, and Mrs Fox did her PhD dissertation and the outcomes of these mental health issues, and I helped her with some of the research. This was over 20 years ago and there is much greater support and duty of care at all gambling places. It is a medical issue, not a moral issue, same as other addictions.

I had to help out a migrant friend living in Melton after her partner gambled away all the rent money and other household income set aside when they were a two income family

There were so many other household shortfalls from his gambling, it didn’t matter to him that his child would go hungry or get evicted from childcare for fee non payment.
ADD
then there was no money for diapers.

The child, my godson was also being affected psychologically. The father was about the most accomplished liar and thief I have ever met.
She got great help from Melton social services, but in the end leaving him was the best choice

3 Likes

Was Pokies his issue or some other some.

TabCorp Park in Melton is a great place to watch the Trots but in my view and easy place to gamble and lose your shirt, there are so many forms available, nearly as bad as Crown.

I hate pokies and I hate tattslotto. Both morally bankrupt $$$ extracting devices preying on the vulnerable. EFC needs to find a different avenue stream, pronto. Maybe they can start producing and selling methamphetamine?

Pokies and anything else he could bet on. If he couldn’t be found at work during the day, he could be tracked down at the local pokies or Tabcorp.
It was like he had a virtual GPS tracker on his ankle.
He could also found at the dogs. Bought a racing greyhound and asked the partner to register it in her name. I got that stopped, told her she could be deported as a criminal for race fixing.

1 Like

Well the socio economic cost of the most common illicit drugs nationwide, is about $4.5B (cannabis), $15B (opioids, both illicit and misuse of prescription) and $5B (meth).

Problem gambling cost Victoria alone $7B (as at 2017).

Just because it’s legal, doesn’t mean it’s better for society (see alcohol: $67B)

Only if the head coach is the cook.

Breaking Brad.

4 Likes

I know of one instance where problem gambling led to domestic violence.
IDK whether there are any stats on such link or to problem gamblers getting into illicit drug dealing.

1 Like

It’s not just about the income, they’re an asset the club can borrow against. They would need to reinvest into another asset, property? I have no idea.

But it’s also short sighted, the public is beginning to turn against pokies politically, is there a long term future in it?

1 Like

LOL; look at the report in the paper, amounts of money put through pokies and other gambling is growing massively. Australians are not going to give up gambling anytime soon. If you went to Crown most nights, the tables are all full.

I don’t really care, just as long as I can get my entertainment fix went I want it.

This is very obvious and has been for years.
I don’t understand why you have to go on about it. Every single time.

You enjoy it.
You know it hurts people and in some cases ruins lives.
You don’t care.
In fact you taunt people who do care by telling them that you’re going to do it even more harderer now, just because of them, which is so friggin’ childish.

We get it.
We got it last time.
And the time before that.

4 Likes

Taking your money with the promise of winnings - Essendon Membership Department

3 Likes

I’ve had a say on this issue a few times and it usually then involves a few posters trying to twist words and trying to re-focus the discussions on other issues.
So, I can say quite simply:

• I’m against poker machines
  • I’m very strongly against the EFC being involved in the gambling industry
4 Likes

In moderation OK.
It can be a socially inclusive space for those who don’t fit in and don’t have friends.
I know an intellectually disabled adult, doesn’t cut it with bingo, has a set amount of cash with him to spend on the pokies once a week. It’s an outing
There used to be a small trade union club in Wollongong in an area of miner retirees or out of work miners.
Five cent machines, max win $5, lots of happy faces.

1 Like