Tom Rockliff

If I was the Brisbane list manager or coach I’d be waiting to get the priority pick confirmed, then shoving Rocky out the door.

Picks 1, 2 and 3 in this draft… wouldn’t hesitate.

I reckon Gil has telegraphed his intentions on this.

From the Herald Sun:

Gillon McLachlan would like a system that helps bottom clubs improve quicker
JAY CLARK, Herald Sun
May 31, 2017 9:17pm

AFL chief executive Gill McLachlan says he wants to help cut the length of time rebuilding clubs such as Brisbane spend in the doldrums.

The Lions received an end-of-first-round priority draft pick last year and remain tied to the bottom of the ladder with only one win.

Forward Josh Schache, 19, is weighing up a move home to Victoria but McLachlan said he would be unfazed by his departure if the Lions can take advantage at the trade table.

While McLachlan believed the competition had become more even and unpredictable, he said five years was a long time to spend rebooting in the lower part of the ladder.

“I would (like to) have an improvement in the system so that teams could improve quicker,” McLachlan said.

“Brisbane are on the bottom at the moment, they have been down there for two or three years and it is a long haul for them to turn that list around and to get back competing at the top.

AFL CEO Gillon McLachlan joins in for The Long Walk before Dreamtime at the ‘G.
“They’re probably halfway through their turnaround. I would love a system where clubs could – when they get in a bad spot – they could turn around quicker.

“It’s a long time - five years - and it’s hard for people to stick fat.”

IMO what he is talking about is taking the concept of the compromised drafts we have just been through with GCS and GWS and applying a version of that on a ‘much’ smaller scale.

In the near future we will see some arbitrary decision making process that allows the AFL to gift multiple (i.e. 3-5) top 10/15 picks to a club that has been ‘not tanking’ for consecutive years.

Yep, abandon pre first round priority picks just before we get one… bring something similar back in just as we look like playing finals.

■■■■ I hate this so-called competition.

1 Like

Why not have the top 4 sides not take part in the first round of the draft? Would mean that the bottom two teams would get two bites before pick 20 and the top teams would be less able to trade for talant from the bottom teams because their first pick would be from 28 on unless they traded some talant out.

The draft is perfectly fine the way it is… although some of the academy areas could use some downsizing.

1 Like

I’ve been saying for ages that there has to be pre-first round priority picks reintroduced. I’m just LOLing sadly that McLauchlin is only just identifying that the thing the AFL did (taking them out) caused the issue, and that of course our timing couldn’t be worse.

Don’t want to derail this thread, but at some point in the future, there will be nothing left for the AFL to manipulate at the bottom so IMO it is inevitable that they will look at penalising teams at the top for being successful.

We may even start handing the cup to different teams on rotation each year because lets be honest, that is where this is all heading.

The AFL is simultaneously the best and worst thing to happen to football in this country.

But, how about that Tom Rockliff, WSPHU.

3 Likes

You make it sound like they haven’t been doing their best to stuff equalisation for years.

1 Like

The pre-first round priority picks haven’t been removed. It’s just that no one has clear rules on how to get one.

Personally, I think the solution is different. The problem with giving high priority picks is it is a long term solution to a short term problem. The AFL want a quicker solution.

GWS were given the ability to trade access to 4 underage guns… O’Meara, etc. to allow them to be competitive sooner. The AFL ■■■■■■ up though allowing clubs to trade picks. They should give a club like Bris, this ability to trade access to the best underage kid going around, but only allowing them to receive players in return. Thus providing them a massive bargaining chip to trade in a mature quality player that can make an immediate impact the following year. Plus of course they’ll still have pick 1 to help with their longer term success.

Perhaps the AFL can allow Brisbane to trade players for premiership points.

2 Likes

You’d have to think their tanking last year would make it an unattractive option.

So Brisbane keep receiving priority picks, swap them into future draft picks (arguably what they did last year), come bottom again, ask for another pick…and repeat…until they have a bounty of gifted picks… tell them to get stuffed!

1 Like

I kinda like that idea (even though it seems to be in the wrong thread). It’s not just a problem that the bottom teams stay down for too long, but also the top teams seem to stay up for too long too. Maybe the top-4’s first round picks get given to the bottom-4, in reverse order to give some incentive to the bottom-4 not to tank.

Are you saying that you want to give the bottom 4 teams worse picks…so that they don’t tank and climb the ladder faster?

No, the top-4 first round picks go to the bottom-4 teams, but the highest of these (lesser in number) goes to the 4th bottom, rather than last and so on.

So the bottom team gets pick 14 instead of pick 1?
How do you see this evening the competition?

Jeez mate; no.

Bottom team gets pick 1, and pick 18. Second-bottom team gets pick 2, and pick 17. Third-bottom team gets pick 3, and pick 16. Fourth-bottom team gets pick 4, and pick 15. The top 4 teams don’t get any picks till their normal second round picks.

If the bottom four teams want the better of the top-4 team’s first round picks, they gotta try to do better than the other three. But whoever actually finishes bottom despite this (mild?) incentive, still gets pick 1.

It will get the bottom teams up faster (by giving them an extra first round pick), while also bringing the top teams down.

Crazy Vossy endorses these ideas. So he can go for a high risk trading strategy, and if it doesn’t work out, just shrug the shoulders, and hold out his hand to the AFL for a draft pick bail-out?

Why are people endorsing a system without consequences?

After seeing our midfield continually get smashed all year I’m all for signing him if he doesn’t demand too much money.

1 Like

oops … wrong thread