Too Fast?

I’d be interested to know what everyone’s thoughts are around expectations. For example, I hate losing games of footy, I’m not a nice person when we lose games of footy, and while my head says we will lose games every year, when I take my seat at the ground or in front of the telly, my heart expects us to win every game.

This one, my head had pencilled in for a loss, in the first five minutes when it was obvious we ‘weren’t on’ I expected a loss. But I still thought we could win, in hindsight we could have won.

Our skills all over the ground were awful for most of the game. I don’t believe lack of effort was the issue, I don’t believe coaching played a part. I’m not happy and not devestated, more annoyed.

I guess the question is when is a loss acceptable to you and what makes it so?

3 Likes

losses are never acceptable.

the acceptable loss mentality is what has held us back for the past decade. its a cancer.

1 Like

I guess it depends on what “acceptable” means to you. I was okay with a number of our losses in 2016, but to be fair I am a cancer.

1 Like

I always hate losing but a loss is more acceptable to me when we play with passion and put together plenty of coherent passages of play. I was the same as you Darli, once Taberner waltzed in for that first goal I thought “how much are we going to lose by”. The 16 point margin actually surprised me in the end.

Having been around this forum for a while now I suppose nothing should really surprise me. But geez it’s so schizo around here. If something goes a little bit wrong then a lot of people start whining like little children. I’m impatient for success like everyone, but we’re going to have to ride a whole lot more ups and downs before we get there. Until that happens people just need to toughen up a bit.

12 Likes

I thought that we would be 1 from 2 after this round. Didn’t think we would have won the first round though.

1 Like

2016 was a freak year.

I guess I misunderstood “never”.

Anyway, to me an unacceptable loss is the kind of loss that demands a response. Dropping senior players to the VFL even if it means losing again, just to make a point, that kind of thing. In extreme cases, chucking out the coach. I think we’ve had what I would consider unacceptable losses over the years that we haven’t responded to, and that’s disappointing, but I don’t think every loss is unacceptable. To be frank, I don’t even really know what not accepting any loss would look like.

2 Likes

Would prefer players faster in the brain with decision making than pace.
Either our skills based training isn’t right or we don’t have the players capable of performing it, which seems the case with the same ol senior players making the same basic errors season after season, especially when the heat is applied.

2 Likes

Interesting question Darli.

For me losses are acceptable when:

The other team is just a better, more skilled, more experienced outfit.

We have tried everything possible to change the course of the game, but it just didn’t work

Above all else, the effort is there for 4 qtrs.

Do those things and I can accept a loss…through gritted teeth

5 Likes

Yep can’t argue with that. But then you get games like the Sydney one last year when they were the better side, we played like gods and should have won and I was adsolutely filthy.

I still blame @reboot for that loss after all this time for saying we had it in the bag with five minutes to go. :smile:

When we are beaten by a better skilled team and we don’t play like a pile of dogshit.

3 Likes

An “unacceptable loss” would be one where the CEO apologizes to the fans.

Then apologizes to the players for upsetting their delicate sensitivities.

5 Likes

Lolz yep that was ordinary. Has it been established if indeed the players were behind the retraction or did Xavier think better of it?

FWIW I was actually quite chuffed with that tweet. Summed it up nicely.

Too me a loss is never acceptable… until it happens. Then it’s time to regroup and fight again. Anything not aiding in winning the next battle is worse than useless. It is as much a drain and an anchor as not doing all you can improve.

1 Like

So there is a plan B!

1 Like

Well it’s not actually a loss until it happens :wink:

2 Likes

But one can resign oneself to an upcoming challenge to being an acceptrable loss.

As a supporter acceptable & unacceptable losses ( and wins) are meaningless terms because we can do sweet ■■■■ all about any of them.

It’s more a question of how you respond.
Both are inevitable.

Are you going to get ■■■■■■ off for a bit, get over it, and swap jokes and concoct purely imaginary plans to fix things.?
( the coaches don’t listen to you you realise)

Or are are going to carry on like a two bob watch venting both your spleen and asserting your superior football knowledge for weeks or even months?

Only the internet would allow the second, and it’s not real.

7 Likes

no one has picked up on the absurdity of the flipside of that comment.

I get tempo and picking and choosing when to run.
but when a team is swarming you, taking away pretty much all your space, the grand master plan is to slow the ball movement down, and what try and pinpoint passes with 30 ■■■■■■■ players in about a 50 meter space ?

Maybe if the forwards didn’t get sucked up the ground, that fast movement would have had a ■■■■■■■ target to kick to.
What the ■■■■ is the point of hooker forward ? i thought it was to be a contested marking animal, why the ■■■■ is he not in the fwd half ?

If we weren’t always down by 3-4 goals, maybe the side woulnd’t feel like they had to run and gun ALL ■■■■■■■ GAME. maybe when there’s 2 loose players back, man them up, instead of allowing them to just float around and do what they want.

but nah, lets just not move the ball too quickly, you know cos it’s not as if we have a team half filled with turnover merchants is it :unamused::unamused:

4 Likes

I honestly thought we were slow, players up the ground were just standing still wanting others to do the hard work. At one stage when we had three or four players around the ball not one of them was going to pick it up . I nearly jumped through the tv to get it for them.

2 Likes