Too Fast?

Amen, brother.

I actually thought that message from the CEO would actually be a turning point for this club. A line in the sand moment where players and coaches said enough is enough, and they acknowledged that they did let the fans down.

Then he apologised and nothing has changed at all. It should of and needed to be said.

5 Likes

I thought that also. Looking back from afar I kinda still think it.

1 Like

I honestly can’t comprehend the club where we had to measure everything we said in public and to the media can’t stick to a game plan on ■■■■■■■ match day. WTF are Joe and Hooker doing ar half back that desperate for the footy because they haven’t been acquainted. Every time we have forced Nick riewoldt or Jack or Kennedy to do that we ■■■■■■■ laugh off our ■■■■■■■ ■■■■. But nothing is made of it when Hollywood Joe and clown shoes Hooker does it. The only ones that hold any sort of line are ■■■■■■■ Walla and green, two ■■■■■■■ pillars there.

AND I’M STILL ■■■■■■■ FILTHY AT THAT SAND GROPING SCARECROW SINGLING OUT CONOR

5 Likes

Sandgroping scarecrow?
Wonderful alliteration

Great question Darli. My expectation of this team is that they are very much middle of the road and so I don’t get anywhere near as disappointed as some in here. I picked and backed Freo and wasn’t surprised by the result or effort. I would’ve rather lose my money and tip but was reasonably confident that I wouldn’t.
As I’ve said before, a backline with Hartley, Brown and Dea is just not going to get you far. If we had a top line defence then Dea could occasionally slot in and do a job. Brown is worth a list spot as a swingman in case of injuries at either end of the ground and Hartley is quite young and inexperienced but probably not up to it. Playing all three in the same third of the ground will result in more losses than wins I reckon.
I agree with most about the midfield and that is we lack size and real class. When Fantasia gets back, our forward line when cohesive and with Daniher on song can be league best. But there’s a few if’s there.

2 Likes

The only loss we’ve ever had that I considered acceptable was in Round 20 or thereabouts in 1993. We had beaten a succession of top teams and secured top spot for the season, and we travelled to Geelong and lost. I wasn’t happy, but it felt like a team taking a short breather before heading into the finals. I accepted it. I have never accepted any other loss

round 2. teams stuff up and dont play consistently.

round 1 footy we wouod have smasged Fremantle. they came out and played really well.

no prob calling out mckenna the way woosha did. he just made a point he is still learning the game.

There’s no such thing as an acceptable loss, but people have to accept that we will lose. I was confident going into the Freo game. 20 seconds in though I’d changed. It’s the games you expect to win that hurt the most…obviously. I expected to win this week. But our skills were deplorable. But we move on. It’s only round 2. Unfortunately someone will comeout and say the Dogs play bruise free footy and they’ll be pumped to the max. I still think we’ll win. Whether we do or not we’ll find out on the weekend. If we don’t I’ll be ■■■■■■. But at least I won’t be watching it with my father inlaw leaving his smart ■■■ comments which leaves me with a vein pulsing in forehead like happened last night. So it’s not all bad.

4 Likes

You accept yesterday’s loss, you accept mediocrity.

I don’t. It may be that this Essendon team is mediocre but I’m not going to accept that as something that’s satisfactory.

nah you accept there is work to do in round 2.

2 Likes

You don’t accept it? What does that actually mean? It didn’t occur? You won’t rest until the board is sacked? Talk me through it.

10 Likes

I forgot how loco this place gets after a loss.

Never change Blitz, never change.

1 Like

Gob discovered the solution…this tea:

1 Like

As others have said there was almost the whole rest of the team that could have been called out for various reasons in that game. Why Worsfold chose to single out someone who has played afl for 5 years is questionable, particularly when said player went at 84% efficiency.

7 Likes

For a moment, he was caught off guard by a question, and was speaking without calculating first. That’s it. I’m sure he is rapt with Conor. Stop making things more than they are.

2 Likes

Good questions. But before taking it out on Shelton, please address this question to the famous Peter Jackson, our then CEO and Board member, and his successors on the Board.

As a reminder, the mighty PJ declared after yet another unfathomable trouncing under his watch that the “loss was unacceptable”

I commented here that I was very glad he said that, because it must mean that - in the absence of him and his board doing anything useful to implement a winning culture - he must have taken up this “unacceptable loss” with the AFL to have the loss stricken from AFL records.

Unfortunately, like most of PJ’s proclamations, it was totally untrue. As long time posters like @Mero may like to comment.

Also unfortunately, egregious EFC losses are so commonplace these days that most supporters not only accept them as a fact of life but make all sorts of excuses for them.

And even more unfortunately, that was not among the worst things PJ inflicted on our Club, from which we are yet to recover.

4 Likes

People can accept a loss, if there is a difference or contributing factor.

you look at richmond last year. they had a few close losses for 2 or 3 weeks there, and most on the outside of the club were like, typical richmond, or same old richmond.

internally they believed that while the loss was ■■■■, the process in game was right, and that they were on the right track.

The key thing was, they were able to restrict opposition scoring.
the turned their whole club around in one off season and based on prodominately on defensive pressure, and a defensive coverage gameplan.

there’s the difference imo. 2 preseason and real games in, and nothing much seems to have changed.

disposal is still very questionable
decision making is still absolutely shocking
defensive efforts, haven’t really improved

you can try and claim the mentality " new year new me" bullshit and that it’s “only rd 2”.
but this has been a systematic problem that has happened for close to 17 years now.

That’s why people get so ■■■■■■ with a loss, because that freo loss was just like the freo loss last year, the carlton loss, the brissy loss.
it’s the process and patterns, and we know where they make us end up.

2 Likes

Did he mean too fast to deliver the ball properly?

Yes.

1 Like