Top 10 Midnight Oil Songs, and/or your Oils Compilation CD

Was wondering when Armistice Day would get a run…

The TV never lies

it never lies

Was wondering when Armistice Day would get a run...
It was a toss up btw that and Short Memory for me, but could easily slot in there.
Brilliant, brilliant thread, but I'd struggle to keep it to 5 - just impossible.

The thing about oils live was they were the best by far live gig going round- their albums could never capture that. The fact that their 15+ songs were always played with people of all ages knowing all the words of each song even though they were 5, 10, 15 years old… The chant of oooiiiillllllsss as you knew they respond and come back of that extra one or two sets.

I’ll come back and revisit the top 5 live but Dead heart Was always really special

This, other than bootlegs, is as good as you’ll get to relive the live experience when they were red hot.

Can I bore you all with a Midnight Oil story? (Gather round children). I was in Padua, Italy with a mate and we were hanging around the main square late at night when these three young Italian guys came up to us and asked in English … “Are you communista or fascista?” And we answered “Communista” (well - what was the alternative?). And they said, “come with us” so we followed them to where their Citroen was parked and jumped in the back of their car (we must’ve been pretty pissed, at a guess). The driver turned on the ignition and King of the Mountain came on at about 1000 decibels. So we drove around Padua visiting bars and parties with these totally random communista dudes singing tunes from Blue Sky Mining at the tops of our voices.

Jimmy Sharman’s Boxers
Concrete
Lucky Country
Brave Faces
Read About It

Apologies to plenty of others e.g
Progress
Only The Strong
Best Of Both Worlds
Drop In The Ocean
Put Down That Weapon
Burnie
Sell My Soul
Bus To Bondi
Short Memory
Etc
Etc

Love the story Humbert.

1. Redneck Wonderland
  2. When the Generals Talk
  3. Hercules
  4. Run by Night
  5. The Power and the Passion

How about underrated Oils songs? I always thought “Sleep” from Red Sails was a nice change in pace following Best of Both Worlds, with a cool grooving bass line and soulful backup vocals along with the clean strumming guitars. They could get really experimental with rock and brilliantly unique on occasion. They really seemed to pay attention to non-mainstream sounds of the time and incorporate bits unexpectedly. Red Sails as a whole is a risky dynamic album.

I’m still waiting for Surfing With A Spoon…

How about underrated Oils songs? I always thought "Sleep" from Red Sails was a nice change in pace following Best of Both Worlds, with a cool grooving bass line and soulful backup vocals along with the clean strumming guitars. They could get really experimental with rock and brilliantly unique on occasion. They really seemed to pay attention to non-mainstream sounds of the time and incorporate bits unexpectedly. Red Sails as a whole is a risky dynamic album.

Yep, love that bassline.
Great version of it here from 1985 in Canada…

http://youtu.be/gqr4vQCg-Do

How about underrated Oils songs? I always thought "Sleep" from Red Sails was a nice change in pace following Best of Both Worlds, with a cool grooving bass line and soulful backup vocals along with the clean strumming guitars. They could get really experimental with rock and brilliantly unique on occasion. They really seemed to pay attention to non-mainstream sounds of the time and incorporate bits unexpectedly. Red Sails as a whole is a risky dynamic album.

Basement Flat

Sharmans Boxers

When the Generals Talk
Power and the Passion
Blue Sky Mines
Best of Both Worlds
My Country

Written in The Heart

Harrisburg

Tin Legs and Tin Mines

OP is now updated people !

This should be fun.

Top 5 Oils songs eh? Well, thanks bltn for such a difficult task. Me, as I’m so imaginative, would have asked for a 10 - 1 list of favs…geddit?? 10 - …oh…yup…sorry. I’ll be quiet.

Scream in Blue
Jimmy Sharman’s Boxers
Kosciusko
Read About It
River Runs Red

Those listed, I’ve always considered “Short Memory” and “US Forces” as their two signature hits.

OP just changed Partisan.
Feel free to re-do.

Oh, and good call regarding the 10-1 :wink:

Damnit. I started trying to make the compilation album as ordered, and I can’t get past the self-titled debut album.

I’ll get there.

Okay…I’ll go first.
My Compilation CD as follows…

1. Back on the Borderline
  2. Wedding Cake Island
  3. Brave Faces
  4. Short Memory
  5. Best of Both Worlds
  6. Progress
  7. Dreamworld
  8. Stars of Warburton
  9. Truganini
  10. Underwater
  11. Redneck Wonderland
  12. Golden Age

I went to do it,… then thought, nup, … ICBF …

http://s32.postimg.org/oaar7lxcj/Capturek.jpg