Top 10 Midnight Oil Songs, and/or your Oils Compilation CD

I can’t be the only one who rates Run by Night? C’mon you blokes…

I went to do it,.. then thought, nup, .. ICBF ..

I always thought that was Australian crawl for some reason
I’m banned aren’t I

OK, here we go.

1 Powderworks
2 Section 5 (Bus To Bondi)
3 Wedding Cake Island
4 Armistice Day
5 Short Memory
6 Bells And Horns in the Back of Beyond
7 Progress
8 The Dead Heart
9 One Country
10 Truganini
11 Surf’s Up Tonight
12 Redneck Wonderland
13 Under The Overpass

<b class="Bold”>Oh yeah, and now the B-Side that made this challenge vaguely palatable :slight_smile:
1 Place without a Postcard
2 Back on the Borderline
3 No Time for Games
4 Basement Flat
5 Power & The Passion
6 Best of Both Worlds
7 Hercules
8 Put Down That Weapon
9 Stars of Warburton
10 Outbreak of Love
11 My god, that album sucked. Let’s be honest, the last four have a lot of forgettable stuff.
12 Cemetery In My Mind
13 Capricornia

The main album skews distinctly funky/melodic. I’ve also somehow missed a stack of the most obvious songs, with many of the build-to-a-crescendo songs getting the slots ahead of them (e.g. Bells And Horns in the Back of Beyond, Stars of Warburton, One Country).

No attempt was made to balance the album(s).

Nice DJR.
Kudos for going the full 13.
I cheated.

Nice get with ‘Outbreak of Love’ on your second list.
An under-rated song !

Okay......I'll go first. My Compilation CD as follows...
  1. Back on the Borderline
  2. Wedding Cake Island
  3. Brave Faces
  4. Short Memory
  5. Best of Both Worlds
  6. Progress
  7. Dreamworld
  8. Stars of Warburton
  9. Truganini
  10. Underwater
  11. Redneck Wonderland
  12. Golden Age

I do like the transition from Short Memory to Best of Both Worlds.

Just a minor deviation from the thread topic for a moment.
I posted this clip in the music thread, but it is vaguely relevant here.

The lady singing(Jay O’Shea) is a country music artist.
She’d been looking for her biological parents for 15 years.
Given records had been tampered with, she’d almost given up her search, when in 2010 her biological mother contacted her with the news that her birth father was…Rob Hirst.

Incredibly coincidental is that before she was given the news of the identity of her biological dad, the O’Shea’s had befriended Oils bassist Bones Hillman and his wife in Nashville.
She recounts the story of going over to the Hillman household on numerous occasions, and seeing all those pictures on the wall, and not knowing at the time that the drummer in those pics was her father.

Just wanted to share, as it’s a nice, feel good story.

Anyhow, here is the song that Rob collaborated on with his long lost daughter, and her husband…
Some emotional content in this song.
Have a box of tissues at the ready !

Compilation in no particularly order.

Written In The Heart
Hercules
Burnie
Short Memory
Back On The Borderline
If Ned Kelly was King
Stand In Line
Don’t Wanna be the One
Cold Cold Change
Progress
US Forces
Basement Flat
Minutes to Midnight
Read about it

Head Injuries 1979
PWAPC 1981
10-1 1982
Red Sails in the Sunset 1984

In my humble opinion that period between 79 and 84 was their golden era, the absolute rawness of Head Injuries and PWAPC followed by the classic and arguably their best in 10-1 and then the Uniqueness of Red Sails.
Not many if any artists can claim to have put out 4 great albums in a 5 year stretch.
Also, how good was Rob Hirst, one of the best to have ever picked up the sticks and that drum solo in Power and the Passion was Epic, not to mention he also done vocals on Kosciuszko and When the Generals Talk.

Also, how good was Rob Hirst, one of the best to have ever picked up the sticks and that drum solo in Power and the Passion was Epic, not to mention he also done vocals on Kosciuszko and When the Generals Talk.

And still fairly handy with the sticks last time they played together at Sound Relief 2009, with him approaching his mid 50’s…
He and Bones really provide that vocal high range that Peter lacks.

Here’s my top 11, like grocery items, they’re making cds smaller these days, but they cost the same. Rip off merchants… or maybe it’s just that I don’t have all 13!

2. Wedding Cake Island
  3. Armistice Day
  4. Scream in Blue
  5. Kosciusko
  6. Hercules
  7. Warakurna
  8. River Runs Red
  9. My Country
  10. Surf’s up Tonight
  11. Redneck Wonderland

I just picked my favourites, not bothering about song sequence structure. Had a difficult time leaving off Jimmy Sharman’s Boxers in favour of Kosciusko but 12 cannot fit into 11, despite Rob Hirst’s unbelievable drumming on JSB. EPIC EPIC EPIC. Cant think of a better drummer in rock, the bloke is incredible.

1. US Forces

2. One Country

3. My Country

4. Scream In Blue

5. Jimmy Sharman’s Boxers

6. Hercules

7. Dreamworld (live)

8. Redneck Wonderland

9. Short Memory

10. Best of Both Worlds

11. Dead Heart

12. I Don’t Wanna Be The One (live)

13. Back On The Borderline

14. Read About It

15. Truganini

16. Outbreak Of Love

17. Power and the Passion

18. Beds Are Burning

19. Who Can Stand In The Way

20. Maralinga

21. Kosciusko

22. Armistice Day

Edit: I would buy the ■■■■ out of that album, just on principle.

Probably should have found a spot for Blue Sky Mine…

Here's my top 11, like grocery items, they're making cds smaller these days, but they cost the same. Rip off merchants.... or maybe it's just that I don't have all 13!
  2. Wedding Cake Island
  3. Armistice Day
  4. Scream in Blue
  5. Kosciusko
  6. Hercules
  7. Warakurna
  8. River Runs Red
  9. My Country
  10. Surf’s up Tonight
  11. Redneck Wonderland

I just picked my favourites, not bothering about song sequence structure. Had a difficult time leaving off Jimmy Sharman’s Boxers in favour of Kosciusko but 12 cannot fit into 11, despite Rob Hirst’s unbelievable drumming on JSB. EPIC EPIC EPIC. Cant think of a better drummer in rock, the bloke is incredible.

Go to a site call hd wow or wow hd - can’t remember which but they are generally cheaper and no shipping.

https://www.wowhd.com.au/search?q=Midnight+oil&mod=AP

Probably should have found a spot for Blue Sky Mine...

I was gonna ask that.

I’m a bit younger, so I like the Oils, rather than grew up with them as a massive fan, but I would’ve thought Blue Sky Mining would get more of a mention in the thread.

P.s I would definitely buy your album.

Forgotten years is okay, but honestly sounds like a different band to me. Sounds like Noiseworks.
And I feel a bit the same about King of the Mountain.

A little off topic but it never sit right with me that they did part of the video clip for Forgotten Years at Arlington. I know what they were trying to do, but…nah, don’t do that.

Can I bore you all with a Midnight Oil story? (Gather round children). I was in Padua, Italy with a mate and we were hanging around the main square late at night when these three young Italian guys came up to us and asked in English .... "Are you communista or fascista?" And we answered "Communista" (well - what was the alternative?). And they said, "come with us" so we followed them to where their Citroen was parked and jumped in the back of their car (we must've been pretty pissed, at a guess). The driver turned on the ignition and King of the Mountain came on at about 1000 decibels. So we drove around Padua visiting bars and parties with these totally random communista dudes singing tunes from Blue Sky Mining at the tops of our voices.

At the risk of boring people even more, l have a favorite little Oils story as well. Twenty years ago l was on holidays in Sri Lanka. l had just split up with an American gf at the time and decided to head up a bit higher into the mountains. l think over breakfast somewhere l met a young German guy who worked as a customs inspector. He had less time than l did, so he had hired a van and driver to see as much as he could. l hitched a ride with him, through the rolling green hills, covered in a carpet of tea plantations. Along the way he pulled out Dead Heart, and stuck it on the car player. He was a big fan. Beds are Burning never sounded better, and sent shivers down my spine. There was something approaching magic rolling through those such green hills, listening to the Oils, something of an anomaly as we usually associate the Oils with this dry and dusty continent. It became my # 1 Oils song right there and then, and has remained that way ever since. # 2 is Short Memory. l will come back later to put in the rest.

@ The Red and Black Partisan
I love that transition on your CD from Warakurna, to River Runs Red, to My Country.

I think it’s already been well illustrated in this thread thus far, that the band have an incredible catalogue of music spanning 25 years.
I can still think of a few tracks I rate, that have barely been mentioned yet (if at all)…

• Lucky Country (live)
  • Tin Legs & Tin Mines
  • Bullroarer {this song is particularly under-rated IMO}
  • Gunbarrel Highway
  • Bedlam Bridge
    and I kinda like Antarctica, In the Valley & Luritja Way also.

I think it was Trevorbix who said in the stuck on an island thread, something along the lines of…
" I didn’t realise there were so many Oils fans in here, and that makes me happy "

Concur on Tin Legs and Bullroarer.

Edit: And I quite like that I’m not the only nerd who considers transistions when making an imaginary album.

Concur on Tin Legs and Bullroarer.

Edit: And I quite like that I’m not the only nerd who considers transistions when making an imaginary album.

You aren’t. And i’d probably have Blue Sky Mine in your second album prior to Dead Heart (musically speaking).

Best song for classic Garrett dance - Only the Strong