Top 10 Midnight Oil Songs, and/or your Oils Compilation CD

They did ‘Generals’ a week ago in Atlanta…

Massive call, considering Bakerman.

1 Like

Fair enough, but I reckon I still rate it weakest Certainly I listen to Bakerman more often than Generals. I always start Red Sails from track 2 (Best Of Best Worlds)
Generals is just so lyrically inane by Oils standards, and its production and electronic drums date it badly.

Nah you need Generals to make BOBW so awesome. The way the drums thump to a close on the former and snap into the latter is jizzworthy.

1 Like

One Country I don’t mind. Lucky Country is the dog’s bollocks. My Country is decidedly average.

FARK I hate new Blitz re-loading every few minutes/as you scroll, and therefore killing anything playing…

1 Like

I saw the Oils at the Astor Theatre in 1982 with the 10.9.8. tour I was down the front and looked around to see the whole upper floor swaying up and down as the crowd went crazy. The best concert I have been to.

Anyway to answer the question I’m just nominating the whole Place Without a Postcard album as they just don’t make albums like that anymore, it is closer to a book with chapters leading into each other as the story of a Aussie battler is given a soundtrack to his life. Surreal.

Fair enough, but I reckon I still rate it weakest Certainly I listen to Bakerman more often than Generals. I always start Red Sails from track 2 (Best Of Best Worlds)
Generals is just so lyrically inane by Oils standards, and its production and electronic drums date it badly.

I agree Generals is the worst song on the album & while Rob Hirst is a brilliant drummer, his singing is very ordinary. Bakerman is just a quirky little ditty, less than a minute long, but I still prefer it over Generals any day.

I remember buying RSITS at JB HiFi in East Keilor the same day I bought U2’s Unforgettable Fire. Both albums were highly anticipated because of each band’s previous albums. RSITS blew Unforgettable Fire out of the water. Unfortunately in my eyes it was the Oils last hurrah, as no albums that followed were in the same postcode as their earlier albums.

They did have a couple of songs that gave glimpses of earlier greatness like Dead Heart & King of the Mountain, but by far their best stuff is from RSITS & earlier.

Seeing my first Oils gig here in Denver on May 23. Found some decent tickets for under $20 in one of the better venues in town; very excited.

I won’t bother with a list as it is probably more of a “hits” list as I don’t get to hear the deep cuts over here, but I’m trying to introduce myself to the older records, like I’ve done with INXS (with great reward).

Planning on wearing one of my Essendon jumpers that night and I don’t care who I offend.

5 Likes

Just got back. Show was pretty good… Peter was good at stirring the political pot just enough while being respectful about it… I dug it.

Ultimately I was a little disappointed in the setlist; it was weighted towards Diesel and later and pretty much ignored earlier albums, especially 10-1 which didn’t get a single song played. I guess for a US audience that was probably to be expected. Also they did an acoustic version of “My Country” which lacked the cool bass line and bridge, so that was kind of disappointing too.

As promised I wore my Bomber jumper and got several comments, almost all negative… but I kinda of expected that. The best one was an Eagles supporter who went “oh sure, you win one game and the jumper comes out”… when he heard my accent though he was quite taken aback, and then we had a good conversation… felt like we were going places with Worsfold, etc…

Was a cool night even if they didn’t play Short Memory or US Forces…

5 Likes

Surely they played ‘Only the Strong’ ?

I really, really hope they play Bullroarer in Sydney.
Under-rated IMO !

Some of friends asked if I wanted to go but I knew that being a different time and place as to when I saw them in my younger years I said no…I know they wont play any tracks off the first couple of albums as they are tofull on frantic for them to play now…I did see a video of a song from a Sydney practise gig and not being too critical seemed to be played so much slower…yes I mat way too critical lol

Seems odd: it’s the third-most played album to date (though barely above Earth and Sun and Moon, LOL).

http://www.setlist.fm/stats/albums/midnight-oil-53d62f9d.html?tour=The+Great+Circle+2017+World+Tour

The “average setlist” includes Only The Strong, Read About It, & Power and the Passion.

Correction - Only The Strong did get played. So there was one from that album.

No love for:
When the Generals talk?

Favourites have changed over time but I’ve always loved “Is It Now?”

Probably Peter Dutton’s favourite.