Top 10 Midnight Oil Songs, and/or your Oils Compilation CD

PS fwiw I think Truganini is underrated even though it was commercially successful

Like the Oils themselves, so much better than I gave it credit for ten years ago.

PS fwiw I think Truganini is underrated even though it was commercially successful

Redneck wonderland is awesome after a few jars.
stuffed if I know what itā€™s about though.

Butā€¦really?
Itā€™s about Hanson and Howard, and the ALP falling away to complete irrelevance and the shift in the nationā€™sā€¦feel?
Couldnā€™t be clearer, surely?

It is vision-free.
Itā€™s poor bugger me.
Something less than grand.
Redneck Wonderland.

Edit: Iā€™ve never seen it confirmed, but I always assumed Powderfingerā€™s The Day You Come was on a similar theme.

Might be about blitz

out where the river runs

Redneck wonderland is awesome after a few jars.
stuffed if I know what itā€™s about though.

Butā€¦really?
Itā€™s about Hanson and Howard, and the ALP falling away to complete irrelevance and the shift in the nationā€™sā€¦feel?
Couldnā€™t be clearer, surely?

It is vision-free.
Itā€™s poor bugger me.
Something less than grand.
Redneck Wonderland.

Edit: Iā€™ve never seen it confirmed, but I always assumed Powderfingerā€™s The Day You Come was on a similar theme.

Might be about blitz

True.
No-oneā€™s taken up the baton from me and Rasta. JBomber sounds reasonable these days.
Daytripper was a caricature.
G-Unit and 007 have mostly run away.
Where are all the angry young men?

out where the river runs

ā€¦ the bloodwoodā€¦

BUMP

I missed out on tickets to the Melbourne shows, but managed to snare 2 tickets to the last show in Sydney on Nov 17, which will definitely be worth the trip.

I was thinking recently, if I could control the set list for that last show, what would I choose ?
So I gave it a go.
Bear in mind, these are strictly the songs that I would like to hear played live.
I have left off some classics (that I know will be played) like Power and the Passion, Beds are Burning and the Dead Heart, because Iā€™ve either heard these songs played live way too often, or Iā€™m simply bored of them.

I needed to impose some limits on the number of songs, as I canā€™t see them playing over 2 hours, though that would be reasonable given itā€™s the last show of the tour in their hometown, and possibly the last show ever for the band.
Therefore, I decided on a 22 track set list.

As followsā€¦

1. Wedding Cake Island (played solo by Martin)
  2. Redneck Wonderland
  3. Bullroarer
  4. Brave Faces
  5. Armistice Day
  6. Lucky Country
  7. Sleep (with Giffo would be nice)
  8. Golden Age
  9. Warakurna
  10. Sell My Soul
  11. Progress
  12. Bedlam Bridge
  13. Stars of Warburton
  14. Truganini
  15. Outbreak of Love
  16. Kosciuszko
  17. Dreamworld
  18. Only the Strong
  19. Short Memory
  20. River Runs Red
  21. Stand in Line
  22. Best of Both Worlds

Itā€™s astounding how much great music Iā€™ve had to chop to make it fit !

Iā€™ll be expecting submissions from Wim and DJR before the weekend is out, if not soonerā€¦

I hope you managed to get reasonable priced tickets, as the scalping is nothing short of criminal.

How the hell can a reseller site attached to the ticketing company be allowed to operate like that?

1 Like

Iā€™m not even going to TRY to do a playlist. Just too damn much to choose from.

Right behind all the Redneck Wonderland love though - i thought i was one of the few who liked that album.

Have to say, Iā€™d love to hear a remix of the whole Blue Sky Mining album one day. The actual songs are some of the best they even wrote, but the album is over-produced and 80s-ed to hell. Needs some more low-fi and wall-of-sound rough edges to express the anger properly.

2 Likes

Yep, $99 each.
Sydney is predominantly General Admission standing room, apart from the 2 Grandstand seated areas, which are sold out.

Still tickets available to that last show at The Domain !

Iā€™m woth you on Redneck Wonderland. For mine it crapped all over anything post-Red Sails. The anger was pointed, the production was rough, had a healthy dpse of experimentation and the band truly rocked-out for the first time in a long while. It contains some incredibly underrated Oils tracks (e.g. Concrete, Blot, Drop In The Ocean).

I remember first hearing the first few seconds of Redneck Wonderland (song and album, given it was the opener) and just smiling. Such a kickback against the softcockism of the previous couple albums.

1 Like

And the albums which came after itā€¦

OTTOMH

Run by night
Nothing lost nothing gained
Armistice day
Stand in line
Short memory
Only the strong
Hercules
Best of both worlds
Kosciusko
Forgotten years

(Would probably be different tomorrow)

The guys are sounding pretty goodā€¦

1 Like

Peterā€™s dancing is not quite Full Garrett.

http://www.setlist.fm/stats/midnight-oil-53d62f9d.html?tour=The+Great+Circle+2017+World+Tour

Luritja Way, really?!?

And no Armistice Day yetā€¦ must be waiting for the Sydney concert on 11/11.

(RE: DJR)
There are whole bunch of songs there that theyā€™ve played often and yet I wouldnā€™t rate them in my top 75 (maybe even top 100) Oils songs, e.g:
Forgotten Years
When The Generals Talk (weakest track on Red Sails)
Luritja Way
Warakurna
Bullroarer
Arctic World
Ships of Freedom
My Country

Seems very heavy on Blue Sky Mine, Diesel & Dust, Earth and Sun and Moon albums for mineā€¦

I know you canā€™t have it all, but geez I find their continued ignorance of Place Without A Postcard absolutely mind-blowing!!

2 Likes

Ah midnight oil on a sunday afternoon at the royal antler at Narrabeen. It was always take your life into your hands heading over there but there shows were full onā€¦heres a sample of what it was like at the antler to listenā€¦

The first 2 albums are the special ones!

No gimmiks no bullshit light shows in and out in 1 hour full on! Walk out now knowing what hit youā€¦thts the feeling!

1 Like

Garrett was just SO manic in those daysā€¦ Love this gig (in six parts on Youtube), in particular this clip from 3 min 31 secā€¦

I love Generals, but I get that thatā€™s the foolishness of youth (at the time).
But I canā€™t have any disrespect for My (or One) Country.