Top 'Breakout' Contenders for 2019

It’s an interesting discussion, people have different definitions of “breakout” and for some players it can be a pre-season where they come back on a new level (due to a new role, bigger body etc), for some it can take a season of gradual improvement or just eliminating some bad habits or being more consistent (Langford last year). For others it can happen in the space of a single game, and I think Laverde might have had that against Port when he kicked 3 goals in the opening quarter, but I guess we won’t know until we see him back it up.

I think both of these guys (Langford & Laverde) will go from being capable to really dominating games in 2019.

There’s a few others that could really take off (Francis/McGrath/Parish), and I guess the best thing is they should all benefit from each others improvement.

What about Hurley, not for break out but just regain his form.

Thought he struggled at times last year.

A fit and dominating Hurley at CHB would make an immense difference.

1 Like

I get a bit confused when appraising Hurls, and defenders in general, because defense is such a team effort. Often a defender can look bad, but maybe he was covering someone else’s man or the mids didn’t hold up the ball at all. Often if a mid fluffs a kick it ends in a ball up but a defender makes a mistake and it could be an immediate goal.

I thought he competed well 1 on 1 but his disposal by foot let him down a lot.

He’s definitely a “gun” player that we rely on so it’s imperative that he be in good form.

3 Likes

And it could of been 12 top 10 draft picks, if we still had Melksham, Ryder and Gumbleton.

Unfortunately, we never really had Gumby.

1 Like

Doesn’t just highlight how abjectly shithouse we’ve been for a long time though?!

It does depend on what breakout means, but here’s a wish list for realistic “breakout” seasons:

• Francis: 15+ games (20 if no injury concerns), averages 6 marks per game and polls 6+ brownlow votes.

• Langford: 18+ games, averaging >20 possessions and 5 clearances per game.

• Fantasia: 20+ games, averages 18 disposals, kicks 45 goals, 10 brownlow votes and gets AA.

• Parish: 20+ games and averages 25+ disposals

• Stewart: 15+ games, averages 6 marks and kicks 35 goals.

• Redman or Laverde: 15+ games

1 Like

Langford… 5 clearances per game.

He averaged 2.3 this season. No-one at the club averaged 5. I reckon considering how much we rotate players through the middle it would be a massive effort to average 5.

Personally i’d be hoping for average 20+ possessions and averaging 1+ goals a game.
The goals per game part depends on how much he is rested forward. I guess the possessions depend on how much time he gets in the middle as well.

I’m hoping he simply gets more time on ground so he actually spends more time in midfield and forward

1 Like

You need to add pidge to that list. Gws rivals us in possible elites even after losing so many

Same age as Jack Riewoldt. Should be just coming out of his prime right about now. Sigh.

4 Likes

Imagine if all 5 of them do…

yep - puts it into perspective. - he’s actually 2 months younger than Hooker.

This gives me tingles in all the right places

1 Like

Spot on, hurley elite already. The criticism on here in incredible. He has been playing in an attacking role which sometimes leave him out of position. He has been instructed to play this way.
And it relys upon team defence, and some resemblance of pressure through the middle.

With the addition of Frances and gleeson I suspect his role will be adjusted slightly. We will then see more games like he had against buddy. Clearly that day he was instructed to play a more devenive role.

1 Like

Yeah, I don’t think he is as bad as is made out; usually, he’d mess up the final kick forward which is why he stood out so much. Momentum killers stick out as much as backline blunders to most fans, which is why Heppell and Goddard copped it so much this year.

1 Like

Long

1 Like

Yeah-nah. Can’t see him getting any senior games this year.

He’s going coast to coast,then into Chicago?

1 Like

Hmm, that actually worries me a bit (Hurley).

Yeah I think that number’s silly given what he actually does well. His vision is one of our best assets as the 2nd possession, we essentially want Hepp giving it to Langford to find targets.

2 Likes