Top Up Players Delisted Free Agents?

A friend has told me he thinks the top up players will be treated as delisted free agents by the AFL at the end of the season.

Does anyone know if this is true?

If so it would be good news for signing Dee with a late draft pick.

I hope that the case for their sake. But I thought the AFL said they will need to enter the draft.

I hope that the case for their sake. But I thought the AFL said they will need to enter the draft.

Yeah that’s my understanding too. So they have to run the gauntlet of the draft, unless they AFL changes its mind. And gee whiz, it’s not like that ever happens… :wink:

Yeah sorry Jackie, the above 2 posters are correct - top-ups have to nominate for the draft if they want to play again next season, and then actually be drafted.

I really hope we draft Hartley, has been a great pickup…

"“runs off”

Thanks for setting me straight.

I’m pretty sick of mates (Essendon & non-Essendon) telling me that it’s going to be tough retain all these ‘top up’ players like Hartley, McDonald-Tippungwuti, & Fantasia as other clubs are desperate to pick them up.

*Excuse me while bang my head on a brick wall

Somewhere, somehow people think Essendon is a firesale where clubs can take what they want for nothing.
It’s even more frustrating when fellow Essendon supporters think Tippa and Fantasia are top up players.

I don’t find that frustrating.

What I find frustrating is when people on here still don’t know it. I mean, how have you had enough interest in the bombers to find this website, but not enough to know who was drafted.

I'm pretty sick of mates (Essendon & non-Essendon) telling me that it's going to be tough retain all these 'top up' players like Hartley, McDonald-Tippungwuti, & Fantasia as other clubs are desperate to pick them up.

Somewhere, somehow people think Essendon is a firesale where clubs can take what they want for nothing.
It’s even more frustrating when fellow Essendon supporters think Tippa and Fantasia are top up players.

Got that damm straight. How to keep Dea and Hartley?
Other teams know these guys would lap up opportunities elsewhere.
I think its time for some dead wood to be thrown out the backdoor, cross fingers and hope for the best.
Cheers

I'm pretty sick of mates (Essendon & non-Essendon) telling me that it's going to be tough retain all these 'top up' players like Hartley, McDonald-Tippungwuti, & Fantasia as other clubs are desperate to pick them up.

Got that damm straight. How to keep Dea and Hartley?
Other teams know these guys would lap up opportunities elsewhere.
I think its time for some dead wood to be thrown out the backdoor, cross fingers and hope for the best.
Cheers

Yeah, cheers.

Oh dear.

Lol

I don’t mind at all.

I can’t wait to see their reactions when Walla, Hartley, Brown, and maybe Dea and Kelly are all in our line up in 2017 and they are still not able to work out how we “kept” them all.

If anyone thinks Raz is a top up, they are beyond help, but that would make it even funnier. Will probably be surprised by Laverde and Langford being in the side too.

Harley’s not a top up. We drafted him last year

Harley's not a top up. We drafted him last year

I’m pretty sure he retired a few years back

The one who I reckon is most common I’ve heard as a top up is Mitch brown.

“You guys should really sign that Mitch brown bloke next year”

Memo to jono; you are banging the wrong head against the wall. It should be your think mate’s head you bang, not yours. Or let them continue to mouth off in their ignorant bliss. You can always set them straight later when they wonder why those players weren’t drafted by anyone.

He could always bang his head … into their head CJ.

Hurts less, & far more satisfaction.

commentators have suggested that Hartley is having a good year and doing his chances of being drafted next year no harm. hopefully we can get him though

face palm