# 5

On a happy note… was at St. Vinnies Private yesterday and Stants was in the lift with ,“Its a Boy” Balloon.

For years my wife and I watched games on the telly and whenever the commentator said “Stanton” we would both say “to Monfries” and 90% of the time we were right. For the past couple of years Stanton hasn’t had that sort of link up with the forward line and looks less effective but he’s still a very good player, just different.

Seem to me Stants has played the loose uncontested midfielder running into space for a long time. But maybe times are changing. Against West Coast he played some full on contested footy. Maybe his role has been changed. If so, the guy looks so much a better player with the more attacking style of play he showed. I will be watching the role he plays on Saturday, I hope he takes it up to them again and displays a harder edge again.

He tried but we need to push guys like him out of the side as soon as possible.

No. No we don’t. Stanton is an extremely good football player

Peedon has a long standing problem with him.
One day, if he persists for long enough, he will be right, and the man will retire.
Until then he just looks sad and vindictive.
Again.

You’re strange

"Tank" ?? Seriously?

lol no

“Tank” ?? Seriously?

Last couple of weeks been In our best

Congrats on the little boy named tank

Has and continues to be a great servant of this club.

Would he hold the club record for games played without a premiership? Gone passed McVeigh now I would think - or is there someone else?

Ken Fletcher played 264. Stanton's on 237. Went past McVeigh (232) this year.

Has and continues to be a great servant of this club.

Would he hold the club record for games played without a premiership? Gone passed McVeigh now I would think - or is there someone else?

Need the rest of the midfield to stand up like he has been. a lot of pathetic efforts across the board.

You'll be waiting a long time. Maybe when he retires. So 3-4 years

Peedon has a long standing problem with him.
One day, if he persists for long enough, he will be right, and the man will retire.
Until then he just looks sad and vindictive.
Again.

A couple of weeks ago we were playing at Etihad, can't remember who we played but anyway, there was a passage of play where Stanton got the ball across half back and immediately had to get rid of it due to our backline being totally under siege.

So he roosted it 50-60 metres to the wing as there was no one there as they were all in our backline, he put his head down and bolted towards the wing and ran past about 5 or 6 of our blokes who just couldn’t be assed and put pressure on the opposition player who had gathered/marked the ball.

He may not have the endurance yet to do it all game, but Laverde has the pace and loves doing that kind of second effort (when he’s let out of the forward line, that is).

Underrated career for us.

His best season for a long time in my opinion.

A couple of weeks ago we were playing at Etihad, can’t remember who we played but anyway, there was a passage of play where Stanton got the ball across half back and immediately had to get rid of it due to our backline being totally under siege.

So he roosted it 50-60 metres to the wing as there was no one there as they were all in our backline, he put his head down and bolted towards the wing and ran past about 5 or 6 of our blokes who just couldn’t be assed and put pressure on the opposition player who had gathered/marked the ball.

Really felt sorry for him as no one else seemed to give a ■■■■■ other than him.

Would be top 3 in our Best & Fairest at the moment IMO.

I reckon he always tries his guts out. The style of the game seems to be the variable as to how "good" he looks.
IMHO it's how well everyone else stands up. He's a linking player, after all.

When everything’s going tickety-boo, “oh Stants wasn’t that good, yeah he had 25 touches, and most of them hit the target, but so did 5 other guys, we should be moving him on just 'cos…”
When everyone else is balls, “oh Stants kept screwing up, yeah he had 25 touches, but he didn’t hit all that many targets* (*trying to spot one, flat-footed team-mate amongst 4 opponents, with 3 tacklers on his ringer)”.

I couldn’t count the number of times he’s been the only decent mid when we’ve been thrashed, only to say that it’s a lot. One of a very small handful of performers in the C*nton final and one of a similarly small group in the Adelaide final. And our only midfield winner last week. Jobe gets a leave pass for some reason but he’s been poor in a lot of those thrashings.

Add to that he always seems to be the one on the end of a handball chain of hospitals players are doing to get themselves out of trouble. Instead of coughing it up or turning it over at the spot with another hospital handball he usually bangs it on the boot long to get us out of trouble. Doesn’t pad his stats be generally stops us from coping a shot on goal.

Been one of our best this year and one of the few trying to play they way the coaches describe.

He’s been really good this year. His positioning can be better but he has been always an option which is less than most.

I reckon he always tries his guts out. The style of the game seems to be the variable as to how "good" he looks.
IMHO it's how well everyone else stands up. He's a linking player, after all.

When everything’s going tickety-boo, “oh Stants wasn’t that good, yeah he had 25 touches, and most of them hit the target, but so did 5 other guys, we should be moving him on just 'cos…”
When everyone else is balls, “oh Stants kept screwing up, yeah he had 25 touches, but he didn’t hit all that many targets* (*trying to spot one, flat-footed team-mate amongst 4 opponents, with 3 tacklers on his ringer)”.

I couldn’t count the number of times he’s been the only decent mid when we’ve been thrashed, only to say that it’s a lot. One of a very small handful of performers in the C*nton final and one of a similarly small group in the Adelaide final. And our only midfield winner last week. Jobe gets a leave pass for some reason but he’s been poor in a lot of those thrashings.

Brent Stanton Jr needs a rest. Looks tired.