Track and field

interesting oli hoare talking about drug testing on his podcast.

said while he was in Aus he was tested heaps by SIA. but because he lives overseas, only tested at races etc. imagines us athletes tested more.

because cost of testing is up to aus to test him etc out of competition.

It felt like she just hovered, rather than jumped, over those hurdles. Smooth!

1 Like

I love how strong our contingent of 1500/mile runners are in the women’s in particular.

Jess Hull, what a star.

3 Likes

It’s more insane the more you look at it. She really is a freak. Interested to see what time she runs over the flat this week.

Edit: Apparently that was last week! Ran 49.71 and came second to Paulino (49.12).

It is quite remarkable that you can run 400m over hurdles in just 50.68 and then essentially ‘only’ gain a second by removing them and making it a flat race.

3 Likes

Gotta love sport.

Kai Taylor, the son of Olympic medallist Hayley Lewis, was only included in the 200m freestyle final after Kyle Chalmers pulled out, and stunned the field.

https://static.ffx.io/images/$zoom_2.8792%2C$multiply_0.611%2C$ratio_1.777778%2C$width_1059%2C$x_0%2C$y_132/t_crop_custom/q_auto:eco%2Cf_mp4/748ee2b9a7d5a4d9255c37e26118b97ba2c555cf

3 Likes

More outstanding 1500/mile running by Ollie Hoare and Jess Hull. Two national records at the Diamond League event overnight.

5 Likes

You have to be at the top-end of the sport to run in the Diamond League - This is my gauge to how well Aussie athletes are performing.

2 Likes

4 Likes

The women are just smashing it at the moment!

1 Like

Hull and Hall just go t¡t for tat with that Australian record, it’s great. And there are a couple of other girls coming up who could threaten it too soon.

Our middle distance runners, both women and men, are smashing it up at the moment.

2 Likes

How good does Cameron Myers look? He’s going to be the next big thing hopefully.

Yep they are doing well, but Ollie Hoare best is 20 metres behind Jakob Ingebrigtsen and our girls are 50 metres behind Faith Kipyegon.

I actually reckon Ollie Hoare at 26 is a chance to get on the podium at the Olympics next year, but the womens competition is so tough. Hull and Hall are great competitors and Hall will keep getting better, not sure Hull has as much improvement.

2 Likes

Can this please be re-named the Track & Field thread? Or the Athletics thread. @moderators or @Bacchusfox

World Championships start in a few hours! It’s over in Budapest so the timing isn’t great for the evening sessions unfortunately but I’ll still be tuning in to the morning sessions (afternoon/evening our time) to see how our Aussies fare in the heats.

Here is the day 1 schedule. It’s on SBS Viceland for anyone interested.

1 Like

Ha. Just searched for this thread, after seeing the Olympics thread bumped, to post this and see you’ve posted 5mins ago.

1 Like

Haha there you go!!
Looking forward to seeing how our three Aussie girls in the 1500m heats look this morning. An entertaining week ahead! I just started leave too so I might be half tempted to set the alarm on occasions to watch the main session.

3 Likes

Silver in the walk…

3 Likes

It would be nice if all three girls can get through their semis tonight in the 1500m.

Brandon Starc up in a minute in the high jump.

Browning ran a solid 10.10 in the heats yesterday to get through to the semis.

3 Likes

Jess Hull got through to the final at least

2 Likes

3 Likes