Trade Discussion 2018 thread #1 - We’re gonna need a bigger boat for the wave pool!

The flipside of that is Carlton have a zillion early draft picks and still suck.

3 Likes

We should make a godfather offer to cripps 8 year 10 million dollar deal.

Why not try something crazy like that???

5 Likes

I’d do that for Bont.

2 Likes

And Isn’t it wonderful? ( The Blues predicament that is)

I hear what you’re saying but I belong to the crowd that thinks we are further away from ultimate success than just a slight tinker to the list. Basically, at present, not enough elite foot skills, speed or footy smarts. Again, I like the sound of a superdraft, there arn’t many of these.

Of course there are no guarantees, but it’s the way i’d go.

I don’t think it’d achieve much, when you have a good look at the list profile (bolded are my rough idea of best 22)

Goddard / Bags / Leuey are 30-33
Hurley / Hooker / Zaha / Bellcho / Myers / McKernan / Brown are 27-29
Hepp / Ambrose / Dev / Joe/ Stringer / Tippa / Colyer / McNeice / Stewart / Dea/ Hartley / Jerrett are 24-26
Saad / Gleek / Raz / Zerrett/McKenna/ Lang / Lav / Lav2 / Long are 21-23
And the rest are real kids.

If you assume that maybe Goddard, Lueney, Bags, Myers, Brown, Dea etc are gone either this year or next, there’s actually not any old guys left to cut into.

The only thing you could really do is trade one (or more) of Hurley, Hooker or Zaha.

I’m of the view that there’s plenty more to come from this list than we’ve seen so far. A lot of spots we can improve on, for sure, and a lot of things we need to do better. But not rebuild time.

6 Likes

This. Cripps is massive in a rubbish team. We should be doing a 10 year deal… although didn’t he just sign for 2 years?

1 Like

contract to the end of 2019. If they’re still poor next year he’ll get big offers.

It’s this group of players that I’m very worried about.

Goddard / Bags / Leuey are 30-33
Hurley / Hooker / Bellcho / Myers / Brown are 27-29

I’m not sure how much A grade AFL is left in them? I fear there might be one good season left in the lot. I hope i’m wrong.

Probably go another step back when thos blokes retire.

BJ and Bags are replaced by Redman and Ridley
Looney Replaced by Draper
Hurley will play 5 more years but we have Franga
Belly will play 2 to 3 we do need another developing ruck around 22-24 yeare old
Hooker will be ok for 2 more years may struggle in his last year of contract but have Hartley and BZT plus hope for Mason Fletcher.
Myers and Brown we won’t miss much

4 Likes

Aren’t Bellcho, Hooker and Hurley the only three we would be counting on getting some more quality games from that group, Bellcho’s mileage is not too high and in ruckmen style seems he is getting better at his craft with age… this doesn’t look like that scary of a group if Joe D, Stewart, Francis, Zerk et al can keep improving as we find the next gen for the spine.

Goddard should be replaced by Ridley or Redman soon enough, Bags is just playing a forward role, that whilst doing well to provide the agro we need right now, is replaceable, Myers we would hope eventually gets pushed out by the young mids like Mutch & Clarke and Leuy and Brown are just depth.

1 Like

Exactly.

Barring unforeseen, major injuries, we lose 1 or 2 utilities this year, and no-one of note next year.
There’s no cliff.

1 Like

@Aceman what do you make of Panos?
On WBD list a while back and from all reports from my SA friends is absolutely killing it in the SANFL, hitting the scoreboard and possession counts always the 30’s.

Thoughts?

haha wasnt panos the guy who kicked 8 every week in his under 18 year

Matt Panos is 27yo…and being once delisted…I suspect his window is closed now.

Do you know if we are actually chasing either of these blokes fog?

An inside mid and a midfielder with a bit of polish would be the top of my list.

1 Like

Who would you give up to get that (assuming that WC don’t match the Gaff offer)?

Is dominating the SANFL but unfortunately for Matt the ship has sailed at his age

1 Like

Hooker and Hurley both plays in the back, that will extend their playing careers.

I don’t think we will go backwards at all.

We have a bunch of young players with talent that are no where near their peak yet.

Not all will make it but I think we have more than enough to at least have a good side.

If a few step up into the elite bracket then we can challenge.

The list is in good shape.

2 Likes