Trade Discussion 2018 thread #1 - We’re gonna need a bigger boat for the wave pool!

Even on last nights performance he had me going all Vince McMahon with his strength through the hips in traffic both forward and back.
He’s not just an inside player.

People know I probably sway to the pessimistic side but I’m telling you now if we got Shiel I’d be shocked if we didn’t make top 4. In my mind the lack of consistent top grade inside players is a huge weakness. Heppell does a great job but the same way Pendlebury wasn’t expected to boss a midfield alone I don’t expect Heppell too. Both Heppell and Zerrett would jump for joy at the thought of Shiel walking in the soon.

4 Likes

I don’t think think people are doubting he’d add a lot of value to the side.

I think we are arguing how much value. He is not saving grace and isn’t a number 1 mid. Never has been. Never will be.

1 Like

I should qualify it by saying he is a DEFENSIVE liability on the outside.

Offensively he is a weopon whenever he gets the ball.

1 Like

I have no problem giving up a first rounder and a player or 2 first rounders

There are trades you could make to pick up a first rounder, but a lot of people wouldn’t like it

2 Likes

So instead we sit back and expect a 30 year old Myers to carry us through the year? So unless we get a number 1 mid it’s not worth throwing out some value? We play it far too safe in terms of picks and got lucky with a big trade period everyone now expects us to pick the teeth from any club and let the others fight for the scraps. Shiel is miles ahead of Myers in every facet. I’d give a first round pick plus something else, easily. This club is entering a window without a key piece of frame work.

2 Likes

The thing is he doesn’t need to be. He just needs to be the important cog in our midfield.

Yes but put a battler on the inside like Ben Cunnington on the I side and I’d be shocked to make top 4 either with our trajectory. I have high expectations either way.

• I should say disappointed not shocked. As pointed out below. How can you be shocked with us.

Totally agree. Im just not in the blowing my load 2xfirst rounder camp. Clearly.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t be shocked if we got Shiels and didn’t play finals.
■■■■■■ off, again, yes.
But not shocked.

1 Like

Geez with Polec to North and potentially Gaff and Arron Hall they will have added some run to their already strong inside game/players…

You wouldn’t argue with Polec, Gaff and Hall…particularly with the new rules and lots of games at Etihad.

35 Likes

It’s not just about 2019. Giving away a first round this year, on top of a first rounder last year, another next year if GWS wouldn’t trade any other way, is pretty risky list management. Watching the twos yesterday, i’d be giving Mutch and Clarke more of a go next year in the ones sure, but neither are dead certainties - far from it. And if they don’t come through then that means a gap of 18 to 21 year old mids coming through because we traded away our '17 and '18 (maybe '19) first round picks. I don’t want us to be a club that constantly trades to fill deficiencies - the Dogs, Richmond, Melb, Syd build midfields around the draft mostly, with relatively few top-ups.

2 Likes

I agree with all of that. I see Shiel as being at a similar level as Merrett, both are AA level Elite midfielders who you can bank on week in week out, but neither are as you say game-changing, who will drag their sides across the line on their backs, which is what our midfield is lacking.

I don’t think anyone is against getting Shiel, at least they shouldn’t be as he’d improve our side, no doubt. People are just questioning his price, is he worth one top 10 pick or two? or does he fall somewhere in between?

1 Like

Fair nuff.
I thought west coast was a major example, but those other teams had had a fair season overall up until that point. At the end of the day we had a pineapple inserted into us by Richmond, and done by them when they’d gone back a gear for the finals. GWS where probably a bad example, but once upon a time we had the ability to play teams into form.
Good signs but I am getting a bit sick of looking forward to the next season.

2 Likes

Merrett is definitely a better player

2 Likes

Being younger and at the same level, I’d agree

Yes that is correct, My point is that the players we have available to pick at 9 are exactly the same as at 10

I’ve argued pretty extensively on not overreaching for Shiel.

If I am being perfectly honest about what I think I would be willing to trade for him it would be.

Pick 8 and next year’s first.

For

Pick 13 (GWS’ first) and Shiel.

If they wanted our 2nd round pick I’d do it under the provision we get their 3rd round back.

I would not give up anymore than that.

6 Likes

You do realise that when clubs take on a player as a salary dump, the cost usually reduces? You’ve got us paying a first and second for Setterfield and a third. Which would be pretty close to full price. And then taking on a player we don’t want.