Trade Discussion 2018 thread #2: Shiel or no Shiel? SHIEL

You’ll be back, don’t fight it

3 Likes

7 Likes

Yep see u in a couple weeks.

If either of the crouch brothers leave, super serious questions will get asked of Adelaide. They can’t retain talent

SEN massively talking up our interest in Martin. Saying that the rumour is that he asked for a trade in the exit interview and that we are very into him.

13 Likes

Did they say whether he actually nominated us?

Just out of interest…

D Shiel 135 games 9/03/93 26 next year
B Crouch 61 games 14/01/94 25 next year
J Martin 81 games 29/01/95 24 next year
W Setterfield 2 games 5/02/98 21 next year

Any of them would be awesome. But I’d be prioritising in order Martin / Shiel / Setterfield / Crouch.

1 Like

He said that was the rumour but he couldn’t get any confirmation on that

He’s just read the same tweets we read

2 Likes

Did he ask listeners to follow up with puns?

24 Likes

Thankfully not

3 Likes

My priority order would be Setterfield, Martin, and then Crouch/Shiel, and that’s at least partly on the grounds of likely cost (also cos I think both setterfield and Martin have stratospheric ceilings)

I’d prefer to pick up a younger, somewhat cheaper player and hang on to at least some semblance of draft position rather than put all our eggs in one basket and throw multiple first rounders at a big expensive name.

30 Likes

Anyone know if we’ve had a shot at Jed Anderson?
Even if it’s just to force North to pay him his worth.

I reckon Shiel is probably our no 1 target and there may have been some confidence at the club. I wonder if massive offers from the Saints and Blues has tempered those thoughts.
Just a guess. Happy for someone to DM to confirm :+1:

1 Like

I think I agree. Setterfield I’m prepared to take a risk on but his injuries are a concern.
Unfortunately I don’t think you’d get him for anything less than next year’s first.

To get both Setterfield and Martin I don’t think we’d end up with a first for the next two years.

1 Like

i won’t believe it until it’s printed in the herald sun. FACT.

Someone also asked him about carlton being redhot into will brodie and asked what pick would get it done which he replied with a late 2nd round pick.

10 Likes

Gave him jack

Is it possible that after reading this tweet my hatred for this guy has slightly reduced?

14 Likes

Agreed with most of that. And tbh if I was offered setterfield for next year’s first I’d jump at it.

If we’re going to trade away the next two years worth of first rounders, I’d much rather it be for a 21yo and a 23yo than a single 26yo. We have a decent spread of young (<22) talent after the 2015/6 drafts, fortunately, but we didn’t take a first rounder last year, and if we’re going to commit to that over the next two as well then I want to invest in blokes with a career ahead of them.

12 Likes

Id really like to get Setterfield, due to Potential and Barracked for essendon

could we get Setterfield or Brodie at a discount cost instead?

Martin for the outside run.

I agree sort of with Humble
1/ Setterfield
2/ Martin
3/ B Crouch
4 Shiel
IF we miss Setterfield/Crouch/Shiel could chase Brodie for some inside support.