Trade Talk 2019: who should we beat our chest like an ape about now?

I think we also need to pull off a very carefully targeted acquisition of a free agent.

Now, as soon as I say “free agent”, everyone thinks megabucks for a gun…and otherwise, “it’s not worth it”.

But that can’t be right…every week we play older players like Baguley, Brown, McKernan, and they are more than handy for the team, and they would be on very modest salaries…but if we look at similar-quality players at other clubs, we would look down our noses at them…it’s a bias that we have to fight against at trade time.

If we select carefully, we can find a Victorian at an interstate club that wants to come home…or someone who has been at a lowly club, and likes the look of our club trajectory, and wants to come on board.

I look at someone like Crozier at the Dogs, who has worked out better than I expected. Or Henderson at the Hawks was actually a delisted free agent. I’m sure there are many more (and better) examples that other posters can come up with.

Heck…it could even be a trade. If we could use a second rounder to get a player with output like Melksham at the Dees, then I would be delighted (ouch!).

We just need to find the right player to fit our team…probably for the forward half IMO.

Would you have been happy to trade pick 18 for Hugh Goddard and pick 28 last year?

Because Hugh was one pick after Lav in the draft and similarity injured. Carlton got him as a rookie not a first rounder in last years trade period.

You don’t give up first rounders for non best 22 players. Ever.

Sure, but this is not really revolutionary.

We’ve got 10 guys on our list from other clubs.

And plenty of them were cheap as chips (FA, DFA, cheap trade, re-draft) - Dea, Stewart, SMack, Hartley. Etc etc. Plus Leuie, Jimmy Gwilt, Josh Green, Kelly, Bird all played useful footy.

Swap Laverde with any of our 3-4 year brigade. I’m raising the general concept, not lining up a specific player. This is the only way I see us getting back into the first round, if nobody is interested then we take our second rounders to the draft.

Francis, Parish and McGath would get the required interest. But…

Jamie Elliott (26) - He has returned well. And if we play fantasia up the ground, he could play forward.
Or at least if we gave him an offer, might force pies hand to pay a higher price $$
Jack NEwnes Saints (26)
Tom Liberatore - He has been good this season, we could have went after him.

IF Dave Myers got poached? What compensation do you think we would receive?

1 Like

Hugh Greenwood, not a free agent but out of contract.

Huge midfielder. Tackles fkg hard, kicks goals.

Hasn’t been in the side this year, not sure if injured?

2 Likes

Hes an odd one, he was good last year.
But Adelaides selections have been a bit odd. even leaving Gibbs out of the side.
Greenwood is a bit like Devon smith, big engine, good runner and hard tackler, probably lacks some polish. But would be nice to add another tasmanian to the side.
he could fill a role. Just depends if you would prefer Mutch/Clarke/Myers/Mynott playing or this guy.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/out_of_contract_players

The only thing that would prompt Francis to return is if he can’t get a game with us.

Doesn’t matter how many times the whole returning to Adelaide thing is shouted down, it keeps popping up.

If he can’t get a game with us then he’ll be worth pennies on the dollar come trade time anyway.

1 Like

I know I was the one arguing value down earlier. But in this case Francis wouldn’t be worth pennies. Totally different ball game as a) he’s a key position player and b) kept out by Hooker and Hurley. He’d be very desirable to both Adelaide and port.

I wouldn’t trade him though, genuine star talent.

Nor would I with both Hurley and Hooker 29-30.

2 Likes

Agree 100%. I think both of them would give up their first round pick for him.

I’m not saying I want us to trade him, because I really don’t. I do think there are signs that he could end up going back to SA.

If it did happen I wouldn’t say “Fark, didn’t see that coming”.

1 Like

If there’s ever an AFL club in Loxton North, or even renmark, I reckon he’d be straight back home like a shot.

But where he’s from is closer to Mildura than Adelaide.

Would we consider a swap with francis?

Doesn’t he have siblings living in Adelaide though?

If you don’t hunt the Clugg, you don’t get the Clugg.

The Clugg would have been just perfect for us today.

If you have to pay overs, then so be it.

Beat the Lions at their own game.

we need a taranto more than a clug or mcgrath.

we will not be getting any names this year, we don’t have the picks.