Trade Talk 2019: who should we beat our chest like an ape about now?

Agreed, expect GWS to clear a few guys to free up some cap space. Patton has practically cleaned out his locker already. Tomlinson will also make way. Some younger 1st rounders, like Bonar, might also request a trade for greater senior opportunities.

They’ll be looking to secure Whitfield who’ll be highly sought after next year. Taranto, Cameron, Finlayson, and Williams are also out of contract in 2020.

Toby Greene who signed a 6-year deal last year has a back-ended deal, where he is supposedly only receiving 350k for the first few years.

1 Like

Is anyone else starting to get concerned that we are 4 weeks from the end of the season & we have a significant portion of our young talent unsigned (including Draper, Redman, Parish, Walla, Francis to name a few)?

At this rate we will be incredibly active in the trade period. Guess who we need is dependent on the final signings.

Yep i’m nervous although I think Parish and redman are pretty well signed up. I’m most worried about Walla, Draper and hartley. I think we need Hartley to cover the inevitable injuries of older players like Hooker and hurley but I think he’ll get much better offers from other teams with guaranteed matchtime.

1 Like

I’m not too worried.

3 Likes

It is my opinion that Hartley should seek a better offer. I think it would be the best thing for his footy career.

The lad has given us wonderful service, and I would wish him all the best.

Of course, if he wanted to stay, then that would be awesome.

6 Likes

Yeah, I’d love Hartley to stay, but footy is his career and it’d be better for him to look elsewhere. He’s too far back in the pecking order at efc.

3 Likes

I love Hartley but I think he will leave. The irony is that in 2-3 years we’ll probably be crying out for a player like him.

3 Likes

Agreed with all on Hartley. Want him to stay but think it’s s no-brainer for his career to leave.

1 Like

Random question but does anyone know if clubs and players can change terms mid- contract? I’m just looking at Tom Mitchell who was already signed until the end of 2021 re-signing for another 2 years . Could Hawthorn be manipulating their cap space to bring in Coniglio or Whitfield by backending Mitchell’s contract? i.e. paying him less over the next two years (meaning more space now) in exchange for a huge payout in 2022 and 23.

They are allowed to. If they were brought in as a free agent (Mitchell wasn’t), then it can’t reduce the amount against the cap.

1 Like

There’s some discontent at Adelaide. Heard earlier in the year Galluci was looking at heading back to Vic but there’s a few other names that are coming up recently. Strong mail Fogarty, Hartigan & Keath want out too. Keath has been low balled by the crows, is now listening to offers after initially wanting to stay. WTF is going on there?

7 Likes

Collective Minds.

1 Like

Fogarty or Greenwood would be good gets.

4 Likes

Saw an article before saying Pyke could be sacked 2yrs early and for Teague who apparently has great relationship with players. Assuming doesn’t get Blues job.

Seems they’ve never recovered from this camp, and perhaps how they have been coached post losing the GF. The camp of which supposedly to toughen them up.

The wheels have really fallen off since losing the GF.

Plenty of clubs in the market for defenders this year, Hartigan a western suburbs boy and Keith another from Melbourne. Does Collingwood have the cap space to fit one of them in?

Fogarty is a bit of curveball; if he wants out of then you’d think Poort would be a strong chance.

Galluci won’t be short of suitors in Victoria; with the Dogs offering Walla a mint, Stkilda with a WarChest, Norf and Melbourne both in need of outside run and with the Cats and Hawks always lurking I can see a real bidding war unfolding.

Once the playing group has an experience like collective teams, gf power stances etc and collectively decides the coaches are a bunch of jargon spouting morons who get high on inhaling their own farts, it’s really hard to rebuild the respect.

Of the guts who want out, I don’t really rate galluci, we have many better options already. Same with Hartigan. Keath is 28 and will be looking to cash in after ■■■■■■■ away the best years of his career on cricket, someone who needs a readymade mature kpd will be interested, that ain’t us. Fogarty is interesting, but you’ve got to decide if you reckon he’s a big mid or a forward. We don’t need another forward of his type (especially given what he’d cost) but if he could play mid in the long term that’d be something I’d sniff around at.

2 Likes

What if we got Fogarty and then vacillated on whether he was a midfield or a forward for 4-5 years, never quite settling him down into one position?

5 Likes

We need young key position depth, we don’t have too much of it. If we lose Francis, which seems likely, we need to top up.

That’s ridiculous. It’s forward or back.

2 Likes