Trade Talk 2019: who should we beat our chest like an ape about now?

Exactly. you only embarrass yourself by making definitive statements that you ultimately collapse from.

That first rounder is very likely worth less Magical Fairydust points than those two second rounders, so thatā€™s not a sweetener for GWS.

(See our and Footscrayā€™s trades last year for examples of relative values.)

Yeah, Iā€™m talking about Tim, not Josh.
Itā€™s purely hypothetical because Tim is going west and Wingard isnā€™t coming to us, but theyā€™re both ā€˜arguablyā€™ first rounds.
Iā€™d take those two separately over two firsts for Shiel.
Maybe just me.

Even if GWS knows full well we wonā€™t give two firsts they have to say as much thatā€™s what they want.

Members/fans want to know they fighting for best value for their player.

This is not a situation where if we donā€™t offer two firsts they wonā€™t release him. They are pushing him to a degree.

Still believe thisā€¦

You tell me what it means, and Iā€™ll tell you what it means.

2 Likes

Yes please. It sounds like weā€™d need more cash and another 1st round pick.
Would be the fastest club ever!

Nah, a salary dump would more likely be an overpaid underachiever along the lines of Buntine. Just as long as it ainā€™t Tim Mohrā€¦

Nothing would make me happier than somehow convincing Setterfield to change his mind and come to us with Shiel. Would be the ultimate ā– ā– ā– ā–  you to Carlton. The salt they would have would be glorious.

P.S. Fark Carlton.

2 Likes

When pies talked Treloar into leaving GWS for pieland what was the 1st thing you thought - I wish we could convince a player like Treloar to come to us; or geez they have to pay 2 x 1st Round picks which could set their development back?
I thought the latter, but in hindsight it was probably a good move as Treloar was still young. Shiel is middle aged and has 4 good years left, maybe 5 or 6 if his body holds up. I think Shiel is worth #9 + a 2nd rounder.

3 Likes

Iā€™m all onboard for this.
Two firsts?
Weeeeeell, maybe if you were sending us Setterfield as wellā€¦

4 Likes

Rate your level of surprise if Dusty never played another game of AFL.

Even more surprising than the Libs winning the next Federal election.

Lol.
Soā€¦not particularly?

Exactly

1 Like

Fair chance an in-principle deal has been more or less hammered out, but GWS may not yet have all the components to hand to make a definitive trade.

I canā€™t see them taking more than four or five picks in this draft. Griffen retired, then some or all of Shiel traded, Lobb traded, Finlayson traded, Setterfield traded. Thereā€™s a fair chance theyā€™ll have at least three 1st round picks and some of their likely 2ndā€™s and beyond will be superfluous. In which case we will likely be pushing for one of those back. Actually, It also makes anyone (including us) trying to offer a 2018 2nd round as part of a deal somewhat problematic. Unless they can trade them up, they may not want them.

3 Likes

Iā€™d like this.

I want Mitch Grigg, so a pick upgrade would be handy.

2 Likes

Ben Long

1 Like

Iā€™d be astounded. As I said, youā€™re underselling or donā€™t realise how professional he is in season.

Itā€™s great that he trains hard.
Personally, Iā€™d goā€¦ā€˜huh.ā€™

1 Like