Trade Discussion 2018 thread #1 - We’re gonna need a bigger boat for the wave pool!

Worth noting those numbers the AFL publish don’t include rookies because it makes the median salary look better, and the AFL like looking rich. The numbers are for 703 players, which is 18x40 man squads (ie not rookies) less those who retired before the season started, and less teams (like us) not running full senior lists. So scrub McNiece, Lavender, Mynott, Draper, and McKernan off the list.

If you’re bored you can figure the numbers for the 1st and 2nd main list year players from http://www.aflplayers.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/2017-2022-CBA.pdf
eg McGrath has earned so far this year 130k base (pick 1-20, played 17+ games last year) + 90k in match payments (18 x 5k) + 12k bonus for playing 15+ games this year. Assuming he plays the last two games for another 10k in match payments, that makes $242k.

As an aside, any payments to a rookie above the minimum contract count against the cap, so you can be reasonably sure anyone on the rookie list who wasn’t dropped there already on a contract will be on the minimum, otherwise you’re taking cap space on rookies.

So it’s basically certain that Begley, Ridley, Houlahan, Zerk-Thatcher, Mutch, Clarke and Guelfi are under 200k, and contractually certain McGrath earned over 200k this year, given even those on contract extensions are still in the first two years of said contract.

6 Likes

Boom

1 Like

That is interesting. I was struggling with the math on list size so rookies being exempt from the data pool makes sense.

2 things.

• looks like some of the players I thought would be 200+ don’t actually fit in that bracket.
  • the AFL manipulate their data. Who would have thought???

Thanks for the post.

3 Likes

Copied over from the Stewart thread where I wrote it first.

Lol’s

I really hope (and highly doubt) Dom Tyson is Jackets primary target. He’s the back up of the back up of the back up.

Guaranteed to put all our backs up.

must be new thread title for coming trade period

some of them get paid ok for a fleeting part of their working life. as in like a couple of years.

1 Like

True, but playing AFL footy for a living is the dream. And even a short career opens doors in business if your switched on.

I don’t think any at AFL level cry poor. Even rookies it’s a great wage for a 17/18 Yr old

1 Like

Just curious - you know how with some footy clubs a lot of players take pay cuts to keep the group together and/or accommodate a big name recruit?

Is that something our blokes are doing?

I reckon we’re a few years away from that yet.

1 Like

Yep, players generally do that after they win one to try and keep the team together

Considering how f@rked their bodies are at retirement i think they’re underpaid.

2 Likes

You going to expanders
Or keep us proles suspenders

from what i can gather over the last year of postings by ITKs.

we have a ■■■■ tonne of players on minimum contracts.

2 Likes

A ■■■■ tonne of players or a tonne of ■■■■ players?

1 Like

yes

2 Likes

Dodoro is a very, very good list manager.

8 Likes

I see what you mean. Just wondering if the players were doing this to accommodate an incoming big signing.