Trade Discussion 2018 thread #1 - We’re gonna need a bigger boat for the wave pool!

Dons, Hawks in three-way race for Dylan Shiel

Essendon and Hawthorn have joined Carlton in the race for Dylan Shiel’s signature

Essendon and Hawthorn have joined Carlton in the race for Dylan Shiel’s signature

SENIOR SPORTS WRITER

|0x0

Essendon and Hawthorn have ­entered into a three-club battle with Carlton for the services next year of Greater Western Sydney star midfielder Dylan Shiel.

Despite Shiel declaring last month he would serve out his contract with the Giants, which expires at the end of next year, it has not stopped the Bombers, Hawks and Blues working overtime to ­secure him a year early.

Importantly, The Australian understands Greater Western Sydney may have to sacrifice one of their better paid players this year for salary cap relief.

The Australian revealed exclusively in June that last-placed Carlton had identified Shiel as their priority recruiting target this year.

The Blues, in the box seat with the first pick in the national draft before any decision on extra AFL draft concessions is made, will have to convince Shiel their rebuild is heading in the right direction.

Carlton have been the least successful of the 16 “traditional” clubs since the start of 2000, winning 158 of their 427 games for a 37 per cent success rate.

They have won just three of their past 30 matches.

In the middle of last month, Shiel ruled out a move away from GWS in this year’s trade period, which starts on October 8, saying he had not sought options to cut short his contract.

“Unless the Giants are exploring flicking me at the end of the year, at this stage I’m pretty happy up here and I’m contracted until the end of next year,” Shiel told Triple M.

“I’m enjoying my time here and I certainly haven’t looked at any options to leave at the end of this year.

“I’m pretty settled in Sydney with my partner, Georgie.”

Essendon coach John Worsfold last week revealed the Bombers would again attempt to trade in experience from rival clubs. He was a strong push last season for the club’s biggest venture into player trading in more than a decade following the retirement of champion Jobe Watson.

The Bombers traded in Devon Smith from Greater Western Sydney, Jake Stringer from the Western Bulldogs and Adam Saad, who had returned to Melbourne from the Gold Coast for family reasons.

Smith, in particular, has been outstanding and would be leading the club’s best and fairest count after an injury-plagued final ­season with the Giants.

“We’ve certainly identified if we were to go into trade what we’d be looking for,” Worsfold said.

“(List manager) Adrian Dodoro is doing a huge amount of work presenting to the list management committee around the potential availability of players who would fit the need we might look for in a trade specifically.

“We’ll be very active in the trade period.”

Bombers chief executive Xavier Campbell reiterated Essendon’s position on radio late last week, saying his club would again be taking an aggressive recruiting approach, particularly in their search for another high-class midfielder.

Essendon yesterday confirmed they were in a “comfortable” salary cap position, an indication that they have enough room this year to trade in a big fish such as Shiel.

Hawthorn, which have a few irons in the fire at several clubs involving multiple players, will push harder for Shiel if West Coast free agent Andrew Gaff turns them down. Gaff, who has been offered as much as $1.2 million a season on a long-term deal with the Kangaroos, has yet to decide whether he will stay with the Eagles.

The Hawks may have extra money available for new talent following the retirement last month of Cyril Rioli.

Shiel, who has played 131 games for GWS and has missed only one game in the past two years, perfectly fits the profile Carlton seek: a quality midfielder in his mid-20s who will benefit a list that is either too young or too old.

Coach Brendon Bolton has said the Blues remained open-minded about trading draft selections to secure experienced players. He said the gap in players aged between 22 and 27 on Carlton’s list made consistency difficult.

Carlton general manager of football operations Andrew McKay put the Blues’ 2018 recruiting strategy in the public forum in April when he said the club had a void of quality players in their mid-20s. “We are certainly in the free agency market,” McKay told the Herald Sun . “It has been about the timing of when to decide to seek a free agent … we think the timing is pretty good now.”

Carlton list manager Stephen Silvagni in June said the Blues would be active over the next two national draft and trade periods, with plenty of total player payment freedom to attract players.

3 Likes

As much as there’s a fair amount of hype regarding Shiel and Gaff right now, really interested to see if anything results from the Cerra rumours. It’s no secret that right now we want big bodied inside midfield guns. But with Goddard almost done and Zakka getting close to 30 we really do need more classy ball users to steer our side around too.

Cerra has elite footskills and looks to be a future A-grader. Would be a great addition.

Nick off Hawthorn

14 Likes

True that, but after what EFC did last trade period we have shown we can now get deals done.

#CanDealWithEFC

1 Like

based on what exactly?

The fruit of his labour have never provided us a finals win, let alone even in the conversation for a flag.

Look at our actions of late - utter damage control on our list (cant believe the media arent going harder on this) due to one or two individuals at our club who have seriously overestimated the value of talls in a midfielders game.

We have been behind the curve, and are now scrambling to fix the balance. It is so far out of balance, we have conceded the draft isnt the answer either.

Wallis? Yuck. Just hope note - shouldnt be close to best 22. Shield - absolutely!

Monkey dishwasher

1 Like

He’d play the Myers role; protecting the kids.

4 Likes

Get Shiel. Get it done.

Ok. I’ll take your word for it. I thought we’d passed on our last pick to take Mynott in the rookie draft? Or was the Long upgrade the reason we had a list spot going into the rookie draft?

??. Given we still had a spare main list spot even after Long was promoted doesn’t that mean we passed in the main draft regardless?

“Carlton sit in the box seat” for Shiel’s services with their position in the draft

This is plain wrong. Draft picks have no bearing on where a player chooses to be traded to, in 2018.

6 Likes

Just from a draft-picks perspective, Carlton would have to be in the box-seat for Shiel this year. Pick 1 for Shiel, a GWS no-name who Silvagni “rates highly” and pick 15-20 (dependent on where GWS finish) is something we can’t get anywhere near to matching.
We could only hope that he nominated us and even then (given he is contracted), it’s no guarantee.

If Carlton hand over Pick 1 for Shiel then that club is truly truly broken.

6 Likes

Carlton wishes they were in box seat

They might want him but neither Smith or Saad went there. Or Stewart for that matter. Or Rockliff.

Miles off being competitive. Can’t see any guns heading there.

Other clubs cast offs that no one really wants like Kennedy and Lang is all they going to get until it looks like they trending up.

Fasolo as a free agent being reported today to Blues likely.

Hang on, what? Pick for Shiel + player + 1st round pick?
Are you serious?

There is literally no chance GWS are doing that deal.

Draft picks have no bearing on where a player chooses to be traded to.

Carlton can have 10 first round picks, it doesn’t effect Shiel’s decision on where he wants to play his football.

2 Likes

I doubt he’d be giving it too much thought till after finals. They’re flying.

Unless connors and jackets have it tied up in a sweet little package already over a skinny latte and a jacket potato

I don’t want to go to Hawthorn either

9 Likes

I have a really bad feeling about Hawthorn getting him.

3 Likes

Oh yes it does - particularly if the player is still contracted. GWS could say unless they get Scum’s first pick they will not release Shiel.