Trade Discussion 2018 thread #1 - We’re gonna need a bigger boat for the wave pool!

So, Essendon (Shiel) and Hawthorn (Gaff) are vying for the number 1 status as destination club of 2018/19. The advantage the Hawks have, is they play finals and are contending for flags. Very attractive prospect. Essendon look like a team on the rise. Combined with their great facilities, huge crowds etc they can be just as appealing.

According to Brasha Shiel has no interest in the Hawks and Essendon are heavily into him? Would be a good get even if he’s 26 next year. 5 years of solid footy ahead of him. By contrast, Gaff will be 27.

And who are the couple of players who want to come to Essendon, according to @Brasha 10 days ago? Wallis? …

I believe they can only match if they can fit the player in their salary cap. i.e. if the offer would bust the bank, they can’t match even if the plan is to then trade the player. Therefore, depending on the offer they might not be able to match and force a trade next year.

1 Like

Brad Hardie reporting that we have met with Gaff twice in the last week, and raises the Worsfold link. Not sure how accurate, but interesting.

Ref below.

[[(http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/west-coast-eagles/brad-hardie-andrew-gaff-in-crosshairs-for-wooshas-bombers-ng-b88927628z)]

2 Likes

Did they ever talk about how that works? If you just have to match total years and total dollars, I reckon most teams would be able to match most offers. Sure, they might not have $1m spare next year, but how do you prove they won’t have $3m spare three years from now? Most of the team will have come out of contract by then.

Which one or both?

Oh. Shiel

Sam Reid? Goodness me.

2019 first, 2018 second, possibly 2019 third for Shiel.

Keep 2018 first. Still beats F/A compo, we have a relevant pick in 2018 draft. Assumes points for academy players is still attractive.

Can’t do 2019 1st and 3rd unless we bring in another 2019 3rd first. Which admittedly wouldn’t be difficult

Howe. Big filth fan growing up.

Not sure how we could land both, but a Gaff, Shiel double would give us a Brisbane level dominant midfield.

Redman, Hooker Saad
Francis Hurley McKenna
Gaff Myers Zaka
Stringer Daniher Zerrett
Tippa McKernan Fantasia

Belly Hepp Shiel

Smith Parish McGrath Langford

3 Likes

wow:

• Port’s Jared Polec is another weighing up a big offer from North Melbourne, while Essendon is keeping a close eye on Dayne Beams, Sam Reid and Mitch Wallis.

Shiel sells Shiel shells on the Shiel shore.

16 Likes

Forgot that rule. I think we need to trade out some fringe players to open list spots and give them opportunities. Could easily get a 3rd rounder back.

1 Like

SAM REID?!

SAM REID!

7 Likes

Sam Reid (born 19 February 1987) is an Australian actor.[2] He is best known for his work in Anonymous , Belle , The Railway Man and Prime Suspect 1973 .

Edit - can’t work out what role he’d be playing, but he seems like an actor with a fair amount of range, back him in.

Gaffy Gaffer gaffed a gaff of broken brayshaw jaws

the gws one. sorry.

THERE’S TWO?!

1 Like

rolos head just asploded

Yes. One’s a busted ■■■■ KPP player at Sydney, the other is a tattooed depth jobber who was plucked from the central coast of NSW to play for GWS.

2 Likes