Training 23 May

Couple of notes.

Mostly a craft/drills day, a little bit of match sim. A good focus on tackling and defence. Vibe seemed pretty good.

BZT has some serious potential, once he puts some size on.

Ridley is as good a kick as anyone at the club, maybe even the best. Makes good decisions and is able to execute almost perfectly.

Long had a bad day. Missed some targets and lost the ball too easily under pressure.

Langford would be better served taking the first option more than what he does.

Francis did a couple of very nice things.

Colyer back and on rehab oval.

Mutch ran laps.

Heppell had a pretty light session.

22 Likes

Thatā€™d be because heā€™s no good.

8 Likes

I stopped in there yesterday on the way back to Sydney and there were also a couple of drills being conducted. The one that I noticed the most was a centre bounce drill, noticeable due to the protagonists: Draper, McGrath, Parish and Clarke. One of the three smalls would lob the ball up for Draper to tap the ball down to the other two who were contesting against each other. Whichever player received the tap then did a quick one or two step kick to a point about 40m out directly in front. While this was happening Raz was having set shots off the boundary. Unfortunately I couldnā€™t hang around for any more as I needed to get back up here at a reasonable time.

12 Likes

Raz didnā€™t play a lot in the last against the cats, How did he look?

1 Like

1 Like

Im not sure I like the way these training reports are all being fitlered through 1 person.

2 Likes

Agree.
It increases the chance of typos

8 Likes

Neeld might be available to filter our training reports.

4 Likes

But wouldnā€™t we have trouble understanding a training report filtered by Neeld?

6 Likes

There would be a lot of confusion.

1 Like

We could just go behind Neeldā€™s back and PM Mendoza directlyā€¦

8 Likes

Neeld might not be available just yet. He is doing a sup. in his MBA Information Filtering Unit 101 that he got an N for

1 Like

He wasnā€™t running or anything overly physical, but he was in good spirits from what I could hear and he certainly didnā€™t look proppy or anything like that.

2 Likes

50pts up, probably ideal time to manage him

Only did a half at VFL the week before, then 3Q at AFL intensity. Hoping thatā€™s all it was.

5 Likes

did we win?

I stopped in for a little bit.

• Really doubt Hurley will get up.
  • McGrath is ready to go, such a weak kick though canā€™t kick it over 40.
  • Redman is a gun, very confident in his ability. Good frame and will be the ideal Goddard replacement.
  • Ridley is one of our best kicks.
  • Smith trains at a higher intensity. Itā€™s easy to see why heā€™s having a great season. Will be in the leadership group next year. If he was 6ā€™2 heā€™d be the best player in the league.
  • Myers and Parish really pushed their case for selection.
  • I think Parish is doing a block of fitness so may stay in the 2ā€™s and come back as a pure mid/wing.
  • Langford looks like heā€™ll be playing the main link role. Weā€™ll try to get the ball to him at all times. As others have posted/suggested heā€™ll play the Heppell role. Opposition wonā€™t pay him the respect so he should get off the chain until he dominates. He is still a bit slow with his decisions but once he commits he executes well. I donā€™t know if heā€™s intimidated by Myers or he doesnā€™t want to hurt him but he has to up his ferociousness, heā€™ll learn more from training that way rather than leaving it for games. Plus everyone would be ecstatic if he puts Myers out of his misery.
  • Zerk will be a star. Mynott will also be valuable, heā€™s got something.
  • Stewart and Mckernan looked good. Mckernan would take Fremantle to finals, would make Richmond unbeatable and would really benefit Hawthorn and Sydney. Canā€™t see how he gets a gig with both Daniher and Stewart fit.
  • Didnā€™t see much of the backs but I feel for Hartley, great kick, great hands and punch.
  • Heppell didnā€™t partake but was doing a lot of running inside.
  • The downside was our kicking and slow ball movement. We have really upped or defence which has made it hard to move it but we could be blocking more to create space for others. Kicking overall is atrocious, really lazy hooks. Trying to kick low bullets with the wide rounded action(head not even close to over the ball) instead of straight head over the ball toe pointing down (Ablett style). Really bad low percentage action, really questioning the skills coach to allow that.
50 Likes

Maxx Power!

Many thanks.

1 Like

hows his point game? and inability to hide his disgust at underperforming teammates?

4 Likes

Sounds like training intensity is up as well. Been a bit ā€˜fluffyā€™ this year.

He was very vocal for someone that hasnā€™t played ones, was jokingly giving it to McGrath. Wouldnā€™t surprise me if he had been told heā€™s playing this week or if he was the leader of 1-3 year players. Is very encouraging in the 2ā€™s.

1 Like