Training 7/2/14

Needs aside, is JD best 22 on pre-season form?

Definitely - goal kicking perhaps his biggest issue but they are basing the forward line around him and Bomber will let him make mistakes to give him game time in the seniors.

Hi Jackie,
Just a quick one ... Based on what you have seen in this preseason is Steinberg close to best 22 ?
Just wondering !!!

Best 26 perhaps - best 22 is difficult because it is affected by the balance needed for the side.  I'm not particularly pushing his barrow but calling it as I see it his pre season form has been his best at the club.

thats a fantastic effort by Steinberg.

would you consider Hardingham a part of that perhaps 26 or has the berg floated past him. I suppose since he can also play back would he also threaten Pears?

The Berg Stevie J'd past The Ham a looooooong time ago

would you consider Hardingham a part of that perhaps 26 or has the berg floated past him. I suppose since he can also play back would he also threaten Pears?

I can see an endless series of best 22/26 questions starting which perhaps deserves a different thread of its own.  To be honest I haven't worked out a best 26.

In my opinion Hardingham is ahead of Pears.

- he can play on tall players and Pears struggles with talls.

- he is an excellent third man up.

- he can play both ends of the ground and Pears doesn't appear to have this versatility.

- Pears possibly has better short/medium disposal but rarely kicks long.

Many will disagree with me I'm sure but that's how I see it.

Thanks JM. As articulate and objective as usual.

Being a good peruser works in a number of professions!

As you know, I rate Pears more than you — but if we‘re talking balance, and have Fletcher as third tall defender, you missed arguably the best argument for Hardingham over Pears: he can shut down small forwards.

As you know, I rate Pears more than you — but if we‘re talking balance, and have Fletcher as third tall defender, you missed arguably the best argument for Hardingham over Pears: he can shut down small forwards.

I agree that he can but I'm prepared to say that Pears might also be capable of that so I didn't make it a point of difference.

Pears showed great talent in 2010 but has been cruelled by injuries and I admire his perserverence.

You mentioned the VFL reports on Steinberg a couple of posts ago.  Steinberg played really well on taller opponents in defence and may also be ahead of Pears as a defender and now on recent practice form as a forward.  Do you have an opinion about this?

On balance I don‘t think we need four tall defenders at once (Hooker, Hurley/Carlisle, Fletcher plus whoever). Which was my common refrain last year: Steinberg was good enough but was unlikely to displace those talls or the likes of Hibberd or Dempsey — so if he didn't get a run elsewhere his career would be over despite his excellent form. It was a 100% match for Tyson Slattery: Bomberblitz raved about him early then forgot him; I went the opposite way on both, and Tyson was sacked after his best year. So very happy if Steinberg can escape that fate.

I don‘t think Pears can be a small defender: just not quick enough. Steinberg is marginal (I really don‘t recall him getting a small), even VU could be ahead of him on that. But Hardingham has shown he can do it, at AFL level.

I rate both Pears and Steinberg for coolness under pressure.

(I‘ve seen zero of this pre-season. Closest I‘ve got is booking an RDO for March 7 and Punt Road!)

Hi guys I rarely post on here, but I was there today. Winders was on fire so to was Steinberg up the other end both out marking their opponents. I was really impressed with Gleeson today he has the ability to find space;

Agree with your comments about Gleeson today he was terrific.
Thirded, ■■■■■■ skinny but showed great composure and kicking, the anti Leroy.

thanks for another great write up JM.

Any sign of Dempsey?

He didn't train at all. He came out towards the later part of training and just sat on the plastic 'interchange' seats. Not sure what is going on here. I know it has been mentioned that the club wasn't happy with the way he presented himself after the break. It's not like he was doing rehab work on the other oval like Goddard, Dalgleish and Heppel, unless I missed it completely. Perhaps doing some work inside?

Neither Licha nor Chappy should play in the NAB cup. Put them both on ice.

Probably be worse for them. Eased into match fitness/pressure with managed minutes is likely the path I would have thought.

Any sign of Dempsey?

He didn't train at all. He came out towards the later part of training and just sat on the plastic 'interchange' seats. Not sure what is going on here. I know it has been mentioned that the club wasn't happy with the way he presented himself after the break. It's not like he was doing rehab work on the other oval like Goddard, Dalgleish and Heppel, unless I missed it completely. Perhaps doing some work inside?
He was on the back oval with heppell when I saw them.

Any sign of Dempsey?

He was on the back oval with heppell when I saw them.

Ahhh cheers mate! It is tough to track everyone at training with so many guys running around and to add some wearing different numbers to throw us off.

Steinberg played a fair amount of the time on Gregory but also beat both Fletcher and Hibberd in one on ones, both through good bodywork but generally just reading the fall of the ball better in the windy conditions. Very similar to Winderlich's work except Steinberg was more prolofic

To beat Hibberd in a one-on-one contest is no mean feat in my opinion. He'd be one of the best we have, if not the league. Good signs for the 'berg.