Training Aug 13

If Fletcher did his finger 3 weeks ago then I don't think it was a surprise Steinberg got upgraded at that time.  And this is the week he has to play.

Steinberg, Hooker, Hurley, Bags, Hibbers and Dempsey will deal with the Eagles forwards, and then we get to dominate the hard ball through the middle with Heppell (who has gone to another level), Watson and Myers.

We'll soon learn if West Coast has an appetite for the contest.  Priddis might, but how deep does their contested ball winning midfield run?  We should own the ball at stoppages, and own possession, and completely limit the West Coast forwards ability to get easy kicks.

WTF is a back spasm anyway?

A final assessment.......the game against the weagles will not be decided on  the basis of physical fitness or technical skills. It will be decided on the basis of mental toughness  and how mentally switched on the team is on Saturday.

We have the football skill and capability as a team to overrun the Weagles, but do we have the desire to do so?

They suck, if you get one you will certainly know it

Yep they do, I only had one briefly, it was New Year's Eve and the muscles in your lower back just act like they have a mind of their own, I had to lie down and couldn't move for a while!

efcrobbo stimulated my curiousity.  I can recommend wikipedia if you ever need to know an answer on this and other topics,  theres no paywall and you can read things in Wikipedia without being told its all about you know who.

efcrobbo stimulated my curiousity.  I can recommend wikipedia if you ever need to know an answer on this and other topics,  theres no paywall and you can read things in Wikipedia without being told its all about you know who.

Hmm, Wikipedia you say? Sounds fancy. 

The good thing about back spasms is a Valium prescription.

Other than that though, everyone else is right - they suck.

There are no good things about back spasms, manageable yes but will be restricted at times... look at Ryan Griffin this year and Tom Hawkins last. 

Carlisle has had issues with back spasms since his u18 days.  Known issue, and one that the club is aware of and has no doubt been managing for a long time - with some success given Jake's pretty reasonable record of durability so far in his career.

Not worried about this.

Play Jobe at FF. He'll have 10 shots on goal.

Any more news on Hurley? 

WCE have been playing NINE genuine talls.   It sounds at this stage like we are going to have just 4 - Ryder, Daniher, Bellchambers, Hooker.  Ambrose, Steinberg, and Hardingham would probably have to come in and play tall, with the latter two in defence vs probably Lycett and Darling. Then Naitanui drifts forward too - who goes to him - Myers?  Yikes, Yikes, Yikes.  We will have to destroy them in the midfield - and that is probably an understatement.  Dear God, please let Hurley and Carlisle be ok to play!

Myers is absolutely useless over his head in any contested situation.

Not myers for NicNat.

CHICKEN LITTLE ON THE CHARGE!!! 

No, wait, wrong thread...

Myers must play mid. He is not good overhead, goes into his shell and runs around after his opponent when playing back. His possessions drop and we lose his long kicking.  He has been very good for us this year around the scrimmages. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

I'm not convinced that Steinberg will make it. He looked lost in the VFL game last week. If we lose Hurley and Carlisle then perhaps he has to play but if this is the case he should play a total lockdown game on Darling (who will be too strong in the air for him).

It is clear to me that the few injuries we have had in the last 6 weeks have shown up our lack of depth. Calls to bring back Jetta is desperation stuff.

Our tall depth basically all disappeared last year in the form of Gumby, Hille and Crameri (not a depth player himself obviously), and will take time to replace, there's not much that can be done about that. We might have had a bit more this year in the form of someone like Apeness if we'd had draft picks last year but, well, yeah. With the same draft penalties this year (albeit with the compensation pick) I wouldn't hold my breath for our tall depth to look much better next year.

I've had many over the years. The most memorable was when we were in bed, she had just started to scream and I was ready to fire, and my back went.     sh-------------t.

Went to the Latrobe University Hospital just before retiring to see about my back, and the doc I seen happened to be Dr Reid. Gave me anti inflammatory tabs, and touch wood I've been good ever since. He certainly knows his drugs.

Btw op, thanks for the training report.