Training Fri 19th Nov

The Ersan Ilyasova of the AFL.

1 Like

Yep, looks trim.

And somewhat aggressive in the drills. Train how you mean to play, perhaps.

3 Likes

illusion, CJohns. A trick is something a ■■■■■ does for money…

4 Likes

Welcome back!

8 Likes

Looks like you can stand by the oval now. Or was this already the case?

He dumped Pidge in one drill and Pidge definitely let him know about it.

2 Likes

Nackers will do the bigger report. High level notes from me

Stringer- looks good but importantly much more vocal and engaged with the team. Seems to be something he wanted to address. I suspect he has feedback on improving leadership. Add Smith to that too

Francis is moving really well. Interesting moment when McGrath tried to go around him and Francis tackled him and then threw him to the ground aggressively. McGrath got up and shoved him. To be honest it was great to see Francis with that kind of mentality.

Were a number of players missing today. I think some are doing a few sessions a week. Of the senior over 25 players… Stringer, Hepps, Kelly. Langford, Laverde, Wright and Parish of the mid 20’s age group.

Was more the 23 and younger core today. Really like the physical development of Jones. He did mainly running around the oval. Looks almost right to go. Reid as well.

Baldwin would have a clear understanding that Ridley is a gun. Great development lesson for him. Baldwin is better when the ball hits the ground than i thought. He could easily play a high forward/mid role. Can break tackles and kicks well on both feet.

Spirits are high. List looks healthy. So far so good

85 Likes

Looks like everyobe else knew training was on :frowning:

Was told trainings are Mon, Wed and Fri … starting around 9:30am. That was from a player direct

13 Likes

Any contested marking drills??

So this news that Baldwin is surprisingly good at ground level and could play a mid role, is not really going to help calm things down regarding projections of his future career.

11 Likes

So more ■■■■ Reyonlds than Coleman then? Interesting.

7 Likes

Somehow I feel like training reports have peaked.

4 Likes

Yeh not much but about 15 mins worth. On a windy morning… Ridley was a bit too experienced. Though most were all high kicks and not on leads

3 Likes

Getting beaten by one of the absolute best readers of the flight of the ball in the comp is no shame. Great learning curve for Baldwin.

8 Likes

Was a more fitness based session , I thought. Some footy drills but quite a few lads were in runners just punching out the kilometers.

Reid, Jones, Eyre, Parish, 2MP and Langer’s all seemed to just be logging up distance in the legs. Some light kicking working but mainly running.

Hep and Kelly did all off-ball work together. Agility drills, repeat run throughs, some boxercise at the end.

Spirits seemed good, the young guys like Jones seem quite comfortable and self assured.

No one reads the ball in flight better than ridley.

Lavs hair colour is frightful.

Stringer looks as fit as I’ve seen him, and a much more comfortable “leader”. He still makes me laugh for outright talent. A 50 meter bullet pass off a step was both lackadaisical, and seemingly easy.

Kelly is a very solid build, looks very fit.

A drill of right foot snapped goals from the pocket. Waterman was having none of it, left foot banana goal for him.

Lloyd was watching on with interest, taking notes before having a Captains chat with Hep.

There was a fair bit of similar styled match-sim drills as what I saw last preseason. Work the ball with hand ball as a keepings off game. Start a set play at half back and try to work it through the opposition zone/ defence. Some one on one marking drills.

I’m pretty wary of bothering to draw any conclusions this early in the off season, and with so many guys yet to return. But the overall vibe seems good. Dare I say a quiet determination to go better again. Stringers mere presence - and condition - at a time he could still be away, probably best sums things up.

68 Likes

I’ve brought this up before, just hasn’t sunken in enough for everyone :joy:

15 Likes

Pavlich type? :smirk:

3 Likes

On his draft profile I believe there was potential to spend some time in the midfield.

Baldwin is also capable of floating further afield and racking up plenty of possessions as a key link into forward 50.
The way in which he attacks the ball in flight and holds onto contested marks with his vice-like grip is truly special, making him one of the top pure markers among his peers - if not, the best. Baldwin has trimmed his frame a touch from preseason - from 93kg to 90kg - but still possesses the right amount of strength and aggression to translate this side of his game to the next level.

But that slightly trimmed figure, Baldwin’s high-level endurance, and his own suggestion that midfield time may be in the offing all point towards plenty more stings to his bow.

6 Likes

Baldwin would bench press Pavlich, and then eat him.

6 Likes