Training Fri 19th Nov

T Hird wasn’t at training with us but he could have snuck over to the other oval and been training with Western United.

21 Likes

What about S.Econd?

31 Likes

Not as impressive as F.Irst . Gold standard , that one.

4 Likes

Here it comes

3 Likes

1 Like

Give it to me nackers!

1 Like

“Uh huh uh huh”

13 Likes

Training today at the hangar today started around 9:30 and finished with the last players going in just before midday. Despite a not too great weather forecast it was little bit warmer than expected with not too strong a breeze and no rain which prefer a bit of a relief.

It was great to catch up with some of the blitzers and the other training regulars again. It was the first time I’ve seen the hanger since the new renovations have been completed and it looks quite impressive for those that haven’t been down there to see it yet. The new section of building would have tripled building size apart from the indoor section of the hanger, it looks like there is some balcony space available to the public where you can get an aerial view of both grounds and they’ve also put in some really nice landscaping around.

The soccer team came in and did a little bit of training right towards the end it was interesting because for some reason all the players that were still at the track formed a guard of honour and gave them a standing ovation as they ran on. It was after some sort of a press conference, I don’t know it was their first training session or some other special event but it seems that both teams get on really well together.

Those that trained today: McGrath trained with the main group for the whole session as did Caldwell, Francis, Ridley, Perkins, Hind, Bryan, Stringer, Zerk, Ham, Guelfi, Brand, Baldwin, Durham and Waterman. Langford joined in at times but also did some fitness work on the sidelines.

Cox made a brief appearance on the sidelines but didn’t participate in training at all.

Other players there were Heppell who seemed to be teamed up with Kelly today and mainly doing running work and as well some boxing at the end. Jones, Reid, Eyre and Wright were in a modified group, they did quite a bit of running along with some agility work, none of them look to be too far away. Towards the end of the session I did see Jones inside the hangar doing some kicking so i would expect him to join the main group in the next 2 or 3 weeks.

There is no sign of Draper, Smith Merrett, Shiel, Cutler, Stewart, Hurley, Redman, Phillips, Snelling, McBride, Tippa or Hird.

As far as individual players go:

Stringer was out running a few laps of both ovals about 20 minutes before the rest of the group came out, so probably around 2 or 3km before then joined in with the main main group for the whole session. He not only looks in great nick but seems to have embraced the fitness regime and also looks happier within himself, there’s no doubt a bit of pride in the efforts he’s put in.

As others have mentioned Francis also looks in really good nick and with an added touch of aggression which was good to see. In the running they were doing he was certainly looking better placed than he has been in the past although he did slow down a little after he got a knock to his knee but he came back soon after having it assessed on the sidelines.

The only one that really struggled in the running was brand who I think I must have put the moz on as he started to drop off just after I mentioned that he was looking quite good. Apparently on the session on Monday he also dropped well off the back and slowed to a walk, Rance actually ran back to be with him and got him going again so he could finish at a bit of a jog. He still looks to be at a much better place fitnesswise.

I tried to watch Baldwin whenever I could and I must say as others of as others have mentioned I was very surprised with his agility and ground ball skills. In the handball drills his agility footskills and ball handling were excellent, with the added advantage that on several occasions he was able to stand up in or shrug off strong tackles, which he also did in the match simulation. He is certainly a lot more nimble on his feet than I was expecting, and didn’t seem to have any concerns with his knees. He did get a bit of a toweling up in one and one contestant work opposed to Ridley, but otherwise I was very impressed. With all reports saying he is such a strong contested mark as well as out on a lead we really could have something special.

It was also the first chance I’ve had to actually see Durham at training and I thought he looked very impressive as well. He like most has a built up a little bit more than what he was and has a really nice turn of pace as well as being very clean by hand and foot and ball handling. He’s one that expect to improve more than most with a full pre season, I can see him being very hard to keep out of the side. But who he replaces will be real selction dilemma.

Ham had a few not so good moments, I saw him fluff several kicks. While he’s also put on a little bit of weight he’s still quite undersized compared to a his rivals around the wing, it will most likely be a make or break year for him.

The other one that showed a bit again was Hind, he looked even more nimble on his feet but with the ability to suddenly put on the after burners and create space. I was a huge wrap for him last pre season but I could see him going even to another level with the confidence he must have gained from last year.

Overall the mood looked very upbeat, there seems to be a lot of a renewed enthusiasm about the group, it will be very interesting to see how it develops as the pre season goes on.

173 Likes

I’m a simple man.

I see a @nackers pre-season training report.

I give it a like.

24 Likes

Legends Nackers and Associates

7 Likes

Thanks @nackers .
Just about my favourite time of the year… so good to hear about Francis, Stringer, Baldwin & Durham. So much to look forward to.

5 Likes

Like how Kelly was being teamed up with Heppell, good way to blood an experienced new recruit to the side, shows respect.

4 Likes

Love your work as always mate, cheers for the report!

4 Likes

I liked Baldwin’s attitude and willingness to be really involved. A few glimpses, but I think proper match simulation , -and even more so an actual match day - will be the true reveal. Looks to be a natural competitor irrespective of outright ability, and as such could improve really quickly .

26 Likes

You’re nackers.

We saw so little of him this year. So together with Reid & Baldwin we have three players who played zero to very little for us this year who could come in and add some serious talent and bolster the side markedly.

(and we only got 8 games from Shield).

3 Likes

Add Draper to that list

1 Like

I go the other way.

I see a seasoned nacker pre-training?

I give it a like.

I considered him, but after I did my own research and found we got 13 games from him I concluded he didn’t qualify.

2 Likes