Training Friday 11/11/16

Bulldogs won the premiership with their superior game plan !why not have Greg William teachers us how to hand passing. he was the master of hand passing ,why not copy bulldog game Plan.

The fact is last year Essendon ended 2nd top of the ladder in uncontested possessions, just behind the Bulldogs who were the uncontested kings as well as premiers. The difference was, we played bruise free footy by comparison with the Bulldogs, whose work rate and attack on the ball was manic.
That is fair enough, under the circumstances, we were in a learning and development year and in quite few games we tried to play keepings off to limit much more skillful sides scoring .

In the recent past, our game plan seemed to include long chains of handpasses, which were great, until the last one which resulted in a turnover. This happened so often, there were cries of frustration of Bomber fans who regularly called out from the stands " just kick the farkin ball"

You could look at the fact that the dogs don’t play like the hawks (who didn’t play like the swans who didn’t play like the pies who didn’t play like cats) as the evolution of what the “best” style of play is, or you could look at it as the teams who have done the best job of creating a gameplan that plays to the strengths of their list. Our list is not like the dogs, and trying to play like them is not likely to end well.

Why can’t we just get a superior GAme pLan?

Why can't we just get a superior GAme pLan?

ENTER STAGE RIGHT: KNIGHTA

The Bulldogs games play is well suited to their list. They thrive on contested ball and caos. The manic ball movement with hand ball is possible because of their contested ball and Skills under pressure. Not many teams would be capable of pulling that off.

He’s more of a Stage Left guy.
He’s more of a Stage Left guy.

Couldn’t defend that comment.

Morgan and Redman?

Yeah they were both there and trained very strongly. I was particularly impressed with Morgan. He just has more presence and confidence at the moment than it appeared he has had in the past. He was very vocal and in one instance was loudly encouraging Longy, Tippa and Stewart when they were competing in their repeat 200m sprints. Also Morgan did some very nice pin-point kicks in the full ground drill which I was pleased to see, some to the leading forwards and another one I remember which went in-board to open play up. Moving well also.

Redman I can’t see did a heap that stood out. They are sort of playing him close to goals, almost like a pseudo tall fwd.

Perhaps an oversized Alwyn Davey role.

You don't know how nice it is reading these training reports with names like Watson, Heppell, Stanton, Howlett, Hooker, Hocking again. :)

What do you mean we don’t know? Last I checked I wasn’t cryogenically frozen in 2016.

You don't know how nice it is reading these training reports with names like Watson, Heppell, Stanton, Howlett, Hooker, Hocking again. :)

Imagine if we were reading training reports with names like AHeppell,NHolmes,BLong,KKirby. Even better than watching their body of work on DVD.