Training Friday 13 January 2023

We’d playing against Hayes and Zerk on Baldwin feels like helping Weed with his confidence. And maybe challenging Baldwin to see how he’s tracking.

1 Like

Now that’s a report I like to wake up to, excellent job Ian C…:ok_hand:

6 Likes

Match sim keeps giving.
Thanks for the great report @Ian_Curtis

2 Likes

Wow thanks Ian you have taken pole position in training reports for me, apologies @nackers you are still supreme

1 Like

Great reports guys, thank you so much. The best part of the season is in full swing.

I know other teams do it as well, but why do we play an A teams vs the B team in match sims?
I would have thought the mismatches all over the field mean players can sometimes get into bad habits of not putting enough effort into it whilst building the continuity that I assume is more important.
I would have thought the A team forwards vs the A team defenders and switch the midfielders halfway through the match sim would allow players to build the continuity and work ethic needed.

Have we improved or worked on our all field zone defence? Again, using the A team vs B team should help with communication amongst the group, but we are making it a bit ‘easy’ for the A team to setup against a slightly slower and less AFL ready opposition.

I’ve thought for a while that players who stand out in training (in particular younger players) aren’t too much of a guide how well they go during the season when the opposition will put more effort in trying to stop your best players.

Hopefully we can have a practise match against another team so we can better gauge whether this season is going to be any different to the last 15 years.

9 Likes

I like that Setterfield did well in red. Easier for him given his role, but still a very good sign.

1 Like

Great point!!!

Merret vs Parish.
Tippa vs McGrath.
2MP vs Laverde.
Durrham vs Matin.
Stringer vs Voss?
Hobbs vs Caldwell.
Kelly vs Guelfi.
BZT vs Baldwin.

Let’s find out with this pressure!?

1 Like

Friendly reminder - it is still only 13 January 2023

4 Likes
7 Likes

I went to training on Friday and this is a very late report but here are a few observations. Probably covered by everyone else.

I was so impressed with Martin Durham and Shield. Perhaps Martin might become a real star. He certainly was our best first year player since McGrath and Heppell in their first years. Durham is one who particularly interests me. Been impressed with him since he began; yet the “experts” don’t see him in the best 23. I reckon it would be hard to leave him out. His performance in the scratch match was so impressive.

Maybe the backline is the best place to allow Cox to settle down, in the VFL initially and then see how he goes. Copped a decent bump from ZT.

Pleased to see Walla and Stringer are both getting some good training in. Also that Weideman and Setterfield are showing something.

It seems we can expect ZT to become a useful, solid full back, if not better. I was impressed with him towards the end of last season and he showed those attributes on Friday. Ask Cox… Pleased to see Hepp is looking good. Perhaps he will be in the best 23 and may retain the captaincy. Experience counts for something and it is one thing we lack. I was disappointed to see Merrett charge towards goal from about 35 - 40 meters and kick a point. Goal kicking is not his strength. I can’t understand his inability to be consistently accurate. Likewise Shiel and Parish. One comment I have read is that most breakaway mids in the AFL are inaccurate. I know this is true of Dangerfield. Others were named. It is an area we must improve in = goals from our mid field.

We must start the season strongly, not in the limp pathetic manner of previous years. . We have a draw that gives them an opportunity to go 4-0. Far from a guarantee, of course, but it’s far better than last year’s early games.
Injuries, as always, will be crucial. Interestingly, it seems no changes have been made in the fitness department that I know of. Last year they really did have a shocking run with injuries. Just having a normal run this year would almost guarantee more wins. Extra fitness should also add an extra win or two. More experience with the younger players will bring natural improvement. A strong coach who understands what running a team means is crucial. So many extra development coaches will be a factor. The added depth is important. A better overall draw will make it a bit easier. Put all of these factors together virtually guarantees an improved year.

Interesting that they structured one team with close to the top tiered players. I suppose it’s good to get the main nucleus of players combining together; so long as it doesn’t lull them into a false sense of security, which is what seemed to have happened in the pre-season last year. And then came the shock against Geelong.

47 Likes

Every KPF who fails to win the Coleman is a “nearly man”

Should be to the death, I reckon.
Winner takes all lands and holdings.

He protects the young ones.

3 Likes

Yes I’m literal sense. He was talking about his relative output. There’s a difference.

Bachar Houli

Touché

1 Like

Martin and Durham are a great wing combination, i think people just don’t have them in our starting 22 because they were low picks.

These types of guys tend to have to play really well over a couple of seasons, before people start to think they look better on paper than your top pick that hasn’t done anything at AFL level yet.

6 Likes

I wouldn’t be lumping Martin and Durham together.

I think Martin has showed enough to indicate he is a special player. He should be in everyone’s best 22.

Durham shows intensity and has been adequate, but he has put work in this offseason that I think the training reports are indicating have lifted his game beyond what we’ve seen to date.

10 Likes

I was at training and feel the above training reports largely cover the key content. The views and observations of the Blitz faithful are something truly valuable to our fan base.

A couple of things I’d like to add:

McGrath is a beast of a footballer at half back. He’s so clean, composed and powerful. Doesn’t make mistakes and is such a damaging two way player. Menzie really caught my eye during the skill and drill stuff before match sim started. He was buzzing around with great energy and showed lovely footskills and if he made an error I didn’t see it. And then McGrath monstered him. The poor kid got absolutely mauled and I expect many an AFL small forward to experience something similar this year. If he’s injury free, McGrath is AA in 2023.

Perkins played almost exclusively as a centre square mid. Won a fair bit of dirty ball but largely hack kicked forward to no real advantage. Didn’t really see him break free and use the ball aggressively which is what we need him to do. I’d love for him to end up playing the stringer role (centre bounce then drift forward), but for now think he’ll more likely continue as a powerful hybrid forward.

Massimo is the set up man. They are looking to feed him and he runs so hard to be the option. And then that left foot is a thing of beauty. So many times he opened up the field with a kick that went to a slightly different spot you thought was available. A real weapon. Can he defend hard enough and handle a tag? These are what we need to know because he can accumulate at will and kicks the thing like liquid gold.

Redman continuing where he left off. Running power right up - he and Ridley were trying to catch the group in front of them in all their sprints. Redman was the one driving that narrative. Also setting up as the goal keeper behind the defender and marshalling their movement / who they should be picking up.

Davey Jnr was quite electric. It was the first time I’ve seen him look to impose himself. In the other sessions I’ve watched he seemed to be trying to do ‘the right thing’. Today he was the right thing. Super quick, pressured to cause problems and won a nice amount of ball. Jayden is also looking a lot fitter than pre Christmas and he is so desperate to be a part of training. Cannot keep him from trying to get a stray ball or sneak a cheeky kick into a drill / at goal.

Cox looked good at half back. I think he’ll play as a hybrid sized rebounder and potentially use that to springboard into a defensive wing role.

Happy to answer any questions.

76 Likes