Training Friday 13 January 2023

Fully acknowledge that.
I certainly am not going full Nino.
My judgement on the club’s prospects will come when I see something measurable.
Training is just too hard to judge.

2 Likes

I’m planning on heading in at 9:30 tomorrow for a bit of a look.

These training reports are elite though, mine will be rubbish in comparison, but I’ll have a go

17 Likes

I like this arrangement the training reporters have where they post their reports slowly across the weekend.

Great content distribution.

20 Likes

It’s no daily Covid update.:wink:

2 Likes

Why does Walla wear 45 while training?

1 Like

Any word on Nick Hind and who he was playing on ?

He likes playing two-up.

5 Likes

Mention was made in Fridays report that we do not seem to “press” in the current match sims.
As I recall it, in 2015 when we appointed Worsfold, he stated that wanted to “set up a press” in our game plan. Its been there to some extent ever since. But when the team presses up to half way it has to defend the widest part of the ground, and our zone was easy to break, probably due to lower fitness levels than almost all the opposing teams.
It seems to me that first Worsfold, then Truck tried to set up a press /zone defence system, but it either was never going to work the way Worsfold and his protege envisioned, or players could not understand it and it broke down.

But there are signs in the report that we are doing a lot of sideways kicking coming out of defence. Right, that sounds like Geelong DNA. Guess who coaches them !

2 Likes

a guy from Brisbane?

1 Like

Cheers for the report!

How did Kelly go?

I see him, Hind & Massimo fighting for the last 2 spots in our backline (assuming BZT, Laverde, Ridley, McGrath & Redman are all locks).

Can’t say I noted Hind during match sim but I was there with a mate and we both got the feeling that he’d be up against it to be consistently in the best 22. Just doesn’t have the class or physicality of the guys that look a level above.

4 Likes

I suspect you are right on the make up of the back seven. I’d have D’Ambrosio and Kelly over hind.

Kelly is an animal trainer - really runs hard and tries to really drive standards. Gets a lot out of himself. Couldn’t tell you who he specifically played on but that suggests that his opponent was well held.

I think Kelly offers a point of difference in that of our small backs, he’s a genuine lock down. Possibly a horses for courses selection but one that adds balance to the back group

7 Likes

mcg has always been an AA bp/hbf, he played that position to be number 1 in the draft, his draft reports said he turned games from that position, we are loaded with mids, i think the number 1 thing made the coaches think he needed to be in the guts to excel, but i’ve been saying a long time on here, he is so comfortable, naturally gifted just looks elite down back.

3 Likes

Nice. On Laverde being undersized, who else is playing on the 2m fowards each week?

Well possibly Cox from the reports of Friday’s session

Exactly. And by all reports he has been training as our main ball user off thr backline!

1 Like

Cheers. Yeah I think if we go with three key backs (BZT, Ridley & Laverde), then one of the remaining small defenders would ideally be more of a physical lock down type to handle the Charlie Camerons of the world, and free up those other guys to run and create.

It’s also a very young & inexperienced backline without Kelly, as McGrath is the only other 100+ gamer back there.

3 Likes

sounds like Cox will be used in a role similar to what Swans did with Blakey last year.

5 Likes

I can’t add much more to training reports every report has been exceptional. I was watching but also kicking the footy with kids they had a great day! Players were generous with photos and autographs highlights were jake stringer for my young bloke photo and autograph on his 25 fresh from bomber shop. Early days but feedback from members not feeling welcome or fan engagement has been taken onboard simple things like the kids getting some footy cards in the foyer make a huge difference to the youngsters (@CJohns please pass this on if possible). Plus the additional seating planned for early this year will be great.

I did ask hepp where Brad Scott was as I didn’t notice him on track from what I could see but he was in his office no doubt planning for season ahead.

I don’t know what the season will bring but I think we can be optimistic we are on the right track but we will need to be patient.

Ps tippa is just a wonderful human so genuine came over for a quick chat / photo just makes you feel good. Great watching him with tex and Davey boys looks like a happy club at the moment.

Go bombers

38 Likes

Which is where he should be played IMO!