Training FRIDAY 16/1/15

A reply to: @alex.f.94 regarding QuoteLink

A reply to: @Houli Dooli regarding QuoteLink
For the Langford watchers, is his frame capable of playing 2015 AFL footy in the senior side? There has been a lot of hype on laverde already and they both can play the half forward role by the sounds of it.

I am excited to watch the NAB Cup games just to see these young blokes run around.

Yes, Lang and Lav are pretty much the same size if you ask me. Langford might even be a bit stocker in the lower section than Laverde.

Huh? Today was my first time seeing them live, but Langford is a reed, especially from the waist up, while Laverde looks almost like a senior a player in terms of physique.

Word is they bought a new machine for the HPC specially for Dempsey.

Sure its gonna get a lot of use.

didn’t get a full preseason: Essington

Thanks so much to everyone who has provided reports. Love reading them.

Whos the kid they got training with us? Tom something?

A few minor additions from me:

Langford - Really quick on the lead, and also looks to have very good agility. Feeding into a discussion in the Laverde thread, I would say that Langford is noticeably faster (from a sample size of one session of training). I like a lot of his marking and most of his kicking (I believe that the wayward kicks mentioned by JM were on his left, whereas he is a natural righty), and he has a look of knowing what to do on the field.

Laverde - Did not stand out today, but is a terrific size, and moves well with neat disposal.

Gwilt - Seriously strong. Really thick through the chest. Was matched against Giles for some one-on-one contests and outbodied him. I was a bit sceptical at first but this looks like it might be a very handy pickup.

Edwards - My doubts about him are only increasing. He kicks nicely (provided he has spotted a good option, which is neither a strength nor a weakness for him IMO) and has a graceful running style that makes him look a million bucks when he gets space in front of him, but he lacks a measure of urgency and effort, is well down in endurance/fitness, and could probably do with some more tricks.

Hurley - I was pleased to see him lead home his group in the 3x400m runs towards the end of the session. He looks in really good shape.

Quoted Post

Training in warm conditions at Tullamarine.

Modified or absent Carlisle, Pears, Hocking, Dalgleish, Dempsey, Browne, Hams and Fantasia , O’Brien, Kommer, McKernan, Jerret, Cooneyand at times Aylett.

…if we can get them all on the track …

And so begins another year…

Thanks heaps though JM

For those trying to get an idea of how Edwards plays, is Dempsey with better aerial skills a pretty good starting point?

A reply to: @Bender regarding QuoteLink

For the Langford watchers, is his frame capable of playing 2015 AFL footy in the senior side? There has been a lot of hype on laverde already and they both can play the half forward role by the sounds of it.

I am excited to watch the NAB Cup games just to see these young blokes run around.

Yes, Lang and Lav are pretty much the same size if you ask me. Langford might even be a bit stocker in the lower section than Laverde.

Huh? Today was my first time seeing them live, but Langford is a reed, especially from the waist up, while Laverde looks almost like a senior a player in terms of physique.

I took a few pics during the training match at the family day before Xmas. One of them shows Laverde and Langford on the sidelines, Langford with his shirt off and just wearing his heart rate monitor strap, Laverde in his blue training top.

I’d say Laverde is ahead, and is closer to the proto-type we are used to seeing, Langford a bit skinny in the arms and will take a bit longer to put on size. Basically Laverde looks about a year older.

so is this week the pick on Edwards week in the training thread?

Quoted Post

If we were talking about Fletcher, people wouldn’t be criticising him for being fat.
Or something.

A reply to: @benfti regarding QuoteLink

Only because Dempsey’s been sent to fat camp.

A reply to: @benfti regarding QuoteLink

The goal he kicked this morning was sensational. Colyer is the only other one our list that could’ve done what he did.
He moved and kicked like one of the Hill brothers.
This came 10 minutes after a passage of play where he did all the hard work in close only to attempt a 40m banana pass, missing his target inside 50 by 15 metres.
No beef with him, I am a huge fan - He just needs to work on the brain fades.

Thanks for the reports guys. Highlight of my week as usual.

gotta head out, so will post some photo’s later.

but one to tide Ben over for a while.

Saw Julian Wallace’s photo of Zach Merret on the Essendon website and was immediately reminded of Jack Clarke one of our most skillful centremen ever.

Would love to see Stanton absolutelty destroy it this year.

A reply to: @jackie mihocek regarding QuoteLink

Saw Julian Wallace's photo of Zach Merret on the Essendon website and was immediately reminded of Jack Clarke one of our most skillful centremen ever.

■■■■■■ good observation - the poise, the balance, the delivery. Here’s hoping.

I have about 50 pics up loading, post them soon

A reply to: @Bender regarding QuoteLink

I took a few pics during the training match at the family day before Xmas. One of them shows Laverde and Langford on the sidelines, Langford with his shirt off and just wearing his heart rate monitor strap, Laverde in his blue training top.

I’d say Laverde is ahead, and is closer to the proto-type we are used to seeing, Langford a bit skinny in the arms and will take a bit longer to put on size. Basically Laverde looks about a year older.

Almost, he is eight months older.

Langford only turned 18 late last year, his birthday is 1 Dec 96, whereas Laverde had his birthday in April, his birthday is 12 Apr 96.